San Francisco Fleet Week air display

Stephen

I'm just back from San Francisco, where the Fleet Week was on . I had a day off on Friday and went to watch the practice for the weekend air display  . Absolutely amazing , participants were the RCAF Hornet display, Breitling Jet team, F-22 Raptor both on it's own and with a P-51D flown by Steve Hinton as Heritage flight, Sean D Tucker and Team Oracle, the US Coast Guard with two Dolphins and a C-27 , a United Airlines 747 and of course the Blue Angels. by luck I had an almost perfect seat centre stage which didn't cost me anything!!!! One thing that did surprise me was that jets were entering and exiting the airshow "box" from over the city itself and not far off the rooftops. No photos as my Samsung isn't really up to it and I would have missed stuff trying. The US Navy parachute team (Leap Phrogs) were dropped from a Missouri ANG C-130 and the announcer kept referring to it as a Boeing C-130. If you get a chance to be there, go and see it. 

http://fleetweeksf.org/air-show/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

One thing that did surprise me was that jets were entering and exiting the airshow "box" from over the city itself and not far off the rooftops.

Pretty common. I work in the heart of Chicago, and the Blue Angels practice directly above my building the week prior to our Air and Water Show. 

I was in SF for fleet week 4 years ago and I thoroughly endorse the air show. I wasn't in SF itself, was over the bay in Sausalito so saw everything in reverse but it was a great show. The 747 was a particular highlight and it was good to cross the Blue Angels off the seen list. The F-22 is astonishing as well.

A guy sitting by me had a radio tuned to the show channel, the 747 pilot asked permission to come in under the Golden Gate bridge, which was unsurprisingly quickly denied. He came in between the pylons instead...