AI radar array for Defiant Mk II

Hhhalifaxxx

Hello. I'm trying to build a Defiant Mk II and have stumbled on the location of AI radar aerials. Could someone point me to an illustration on the exact position on the wings the double slanted antenna "spikes" are located? Were there on both port and starboard wings? Also, were the vertical masts on the side of both sides of the fuselage, or on one side only? Was there a visual difference between Mk IV and Mk VI AI radar arrays?

I'd appreciate any information. Thank you.

Hi, Hhhalifaxxx

Unfortunately, drawings of radar equipped Defiants seems to be quite elusive. There is a cross-section drawing of sorts, published in Polish booklet Samolot mysliwski Defiant by TBiU, which shows positions of A.I. Mk.IV aerials on Defiant NF Mk.II. ˝H˝ aerials on the fuselage are given as installed on both sides. Double apex shaped aerials were installed in front of starboard wing's leading edge and on port side they were buried inside the wing and protruding through upper and lower wing skin, just outside of the panel, running from inner edge of aileron toward the leading edge of the wing. Alec Brew's book Boulton paul aircraft since 1915 (Putnam) gives the same description of radar aerials array, but claims that ˝H˝ shaped aerial had been installed on starboard side of fuselage only. Other drawings and colour profiles are inconclusive on that: some of them show ˝H˝ aerials on both sides, and others on starboard side only.

Camouflage and Markings booklet on Defiant describes differences between A.I. Mk.IV and VI as following: ˝With certain modifications the Mk.IV was designated the Mk.VI and could be identified by arrowhead aerials, which protruded from the wing leading edge and the ˝H˝ aerial, fitted to the starboard fuselage.˝

Not much and a bit confusing, I admit. Hopefully someone with better knowledge on the subject will soon step in. Cheers

Jure

Andy and Jure:

Thanks so much for the information. The 3 views are EXACTLY what I was looking for! So the H aerials go on both sides, the arrowhead array on the starboard wing (that much I knew) and the wing azimuth "spike" pair only on the port wing. It's curious how all the usual suspects -- Warpaint, Scale Models, Profile, Mushroom, Airwaves -- have either shown only a side view (often the starboard side) of the NF Mk II, or not at all, with no indication of the symmetry of the H aerials or implying the "spikes" would be on the starboard wing too. It took the modest TBiU book to finally give us an idea of the aerial arrangement -- but suggesting the "spikes" would be exactly like an arrowhead aerial buried inside the wing, which seems not to be completely right. I just ordered an Owl Parts PE set for the AI Mk IV radar, which appears to include instructions matching the above plans. 

Again, thanks a bunch. You guys are tops.

Hhhalifaxxx