Another Chieftain, Takom Mk11 this time ...

Etienne

Hello,

today I started a new kit ... not surprinsigly another Chieftain but this one is a Mk11 from Takom.

It will have a sand and green paint, representing an OPFOR tank at Salisbury Plain ... but be patient, it will probably take a long time ;)

For the moment, I began the build of the hull, with the drivetrain and part of the accessories (exhaust box, etc ...). As the front skirts are very small and short on the Takom's Chieftain, I decided to cut and add now ones made from 0.15mm styrene sheet, not bad but I think I can do better, next time.

wp_20123.jpg
wp_20122.jpg
wp_20124.jpg

E

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hello gents,

thanks for the encouragement, but I didn't give much news just because I didn't have time for modelling since my last post ...

This week end, I resumed my work and as I was assembling the Mk11, I realized that I forgot an easy modification I needed to have a late Chieftain as seen at Salisbury training ground ; as you may know, Chieftain were significant oil eaters, so additionnal oil drums were stored near the rear stowage bins.

This implied a move of the medical box to the cover of the rear left bin ... so I decided the first hull would became a Mk10 (on the left), and made a new Mk11 (on the right) :blink:

100_4636.jpg
100_4635.jpg

I added a few details ... electric wires for the front lights, cables for fire extinguishers

100_4634.jpg100_4638.jpg100_4633.jpg100_4637.jpg

You can also see I made scratch bazooka plates brackets because the kit's ones are molded with the plates and it just so happens that this tank wil have NO plates ;) ... I'm not that pleased with the result, I still have to learn about scratchbuilding.

And then came the moment to install the tow cables ... not that the kit's cables are that bad, but I found the mould line to obvious and decided to give a try to Eureka XXL tow cables. They are made for a Chally but I guess the British Army didn't change the cables for a new tank ... anyway, they look like the Chieftain's so let's go !!

The brackets are made with PE leftovers 

100_4631.jpg100_4632.jpg

Next step will be a layer of black primer, before I start assembling the turret.

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

This might help with the build, it's my conversion using the Tamiya kit but it has a few ref photos from other members :)  You really cannot dislike a Chiefy ! 

I already know your built, it has been in my favorites for a while  ... it's one of the first builds I've seen on this forum and I go back to it for inspiration from time to time ;) 

Cheers, E

• Like 1

Hello gents,

just a coat of black primer on the hull ... stealth black Chieftain !! The barrel is nicely detailed but needs much attention to avoid the seamline ... another light coat of primer is needed after re-sanding ^_^

100_4611.jpg100_4610.jpg

Now focus on the turret ... the adjustment of the lower part is not perfect, needs some putty but eventually looks good.

100_4612.jpg

I am not strictly a rivet counter but as I don't like molded handles and tie-downs, I tried the scratch way with fuse wire, maybe a little bit out of scale but more realistic :)

100_4613.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 4

Saturday's update ... the turret is now primed black B)

100_4617.jpg
100_4620.jpg

I replaced the fake tube on the Clansman aerial bases so the aerials will be removable, like on real tanks 

100_4616.jpg
100_4618.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Looking good - like the removable aerials, I'll make a note of that idea!

Roger

Reveal hidden contents

Hi, I used cut syringe needles ... I have some stock, my wife is a nurse ;)

E

Today, I finished the tracks (before weathering) ... after Friul's on the Mk3, I decided to try the MasterClub tracks.

They are made of independant links, not a surprise, but also independant pads and 2 resin pins per link ... takes time to assemble the 98 links per side but it's definitely worthwhile B)

The level of detail of MasterClub tracks is incredible ... they even have the inscription on the links, just as the real ones.

Photos don't do them justice but believe me, I wish MasterClub would do more european modern trank tracks ;)

100_4623.jpg
100_4622.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 3

Well, last post of the week end, I painted the base coat ... will have 5 days to cure correctly so I can mask and do the camouflage.

I used the "black basing" technique ... black primer, then mottling ramdomly the surfaces with thin paint and at the end an overall thinner paint coat. This technique seems to have fans in aircraft modelling but doesn't seem to attract tank modellers.

As a matter of fact, I find it easier than pre-shading and in my opinion, cleaner but that's probably because I'm not good at pre-shading :blink:

100_4624.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 4

@Bullbasket : thanks John ... Masterclub sells two type of tracks, resin and metal ...the Chieftain's I used are metal tracks connected with small resin pins.

Even if intuitively it seems fiddly, they are in fact easier to assemble than Friul's. I think resin tracks are just clickable but the finish is very nice too.

You can check their website : http://masterclub.ru/

@FrancisGL : thanks for your comment ... I bought the tracks from Ebay.UK (seller Mkita2012), the least expensive in Europe.

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Etienne said:

@Bullbasket : thanks John ... Masterclub sells two type of tracks, resin and metal ...the Chieftain's I used are metal tracks connected with small resin pins.

Even if intuitively it seems fiddly, they are in fact easier to assemble than Friul's. I think resin tracks are just clickable but the finish is very nice too.

You can check their website : http://masterclub.ru/

@FrancisGL : thanks for your comment ... I bought the tracks from Ebay.UK (seller Mkita2012), the least expensive in Europe.

Cheers, E

Thanks for that Etienne. I'll checkout their site.

John.

Hello gents,

thanks for your comments ! ... today's work : masking, painting, trying not to transform the beast in a total mess :blink:

Here is the result ... next step will be filters and clear coat, on sunday probably.

100_4625.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 10