Iron Wool Clipper

Trying Post Image again.     This is the first image of the Wairoa, that I posted at the beginning of this thread,and as you can see, it still works, but the latest image of the same model has disappeared altogether!

Bob

Wairoa_in_hand_Medium.jpg

Took this along to the local ship model club today.     Hardly got a flicker of interest.   One person alone looked at it, but didn't comment - no-one else even bothered looking.    Don't know why I even bother taking them!

Bob

Absolutely gorgeous!

I build WWI aircraft in 1:72 and I'm constantly trying to get the message over that rigging really isn't that difficult, it's just practice, like everything else. But seing this I can see where those guys are coming from!

Ian

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:12 PM, ShipbuilderMN said:

Took this along to the local ship model club today.     Hardly got a flicker of interest.   One person alone looked at it, but didn't comment - no-one else even bothered looking.    Don't know why I even bother taking them!

Bob

I think you need a new model club . There's obviously something wrong with the members at your current one if they can ignore such a masterpiece

Oh, I don't know.    Not many modellers like to build merchant ships, (not romantic enough)  it has been like that for years now!   The few that do, are very limited if they are stuck with kits.     At the last meeting, there were three models, the wool clipper, a partly built HMS Hood (the one that came in instalments in a magazine) and a fishing boat.       Not much attention was paid to any of them, it is more of a social gathering these days, and quite enjoyable.       We do have healthy discussions about maritime matters.      Aircraft and other types of models are also welcome.   It is held monthly in Grimsarg, Lancashire, if anyone fancies coming along.   There is plenty of free parking and we start arriving at 1000 to start at 1100, break for lunch 1230 - 1345 and then finally finish between 1500 and 1600.       Usually, 16 to 20 members attend, but the overall membership is much greater.    Wives or partners welcome, plus supervised children.     We often have guests coming for the day.

Bob

1 hour ago, ShipbuilderMN said:

Oh, I don't know.    Not many modellers like to build merchant ships, (not romantic enough)  it has been like that for years now!   The few that do, are very limited if they are stuck with kits.     At the last meeting, there were three models, the wool clipper, a partly built HMS Hood (the one that came in instalments in a magazine) and a fishing boat.       Not much attention was paid to any of them, it is more of a social gathering these days, and quite enjoyable.       We do have healthy discussions about maritime matters.      Aircraft and other types of models are also welcome.   It is held monthly in Grimsarg, Lancashire, if anyone fancies coming along.   There is plenty of free parking and we start arriving at 1000 to start at 1100, break for lunch 1230 - 1345 and then finally finish between 1500 and 1600.       Usually, 16 to 20 members attend, but the overall membership is much greater.    Wives or partners welcome, plus supervised children.     We often have guests coming for the day.

Bob

It shouldn't matter whether you build merchant ships or not - a superb model is a superb model regardless of the subject matter .  I myself don't build merchant ships , but it doesn't stop me admiring yours when you post them .

A disturbing number of people can't distinguish between good and bad with my models!:lol:      Take these two, for instance.   Both of my first ship, the Rhodesai Star.   I built the first one in 1973 when I was just beginning to build steamers.     The 2nd one was built in 1999.   Numerous times when showing these two images, I am told that there is no discernable difference, they are both equally as good as each other.:o

To me, there is a world of difference, and the black and white one is pretty poor by any standards.

Bob

Rhodesia_Star_1973_model_Medium.jpg

Rhodesia_Star.jpg

• Like 3

No question which is which, though on first sight, your earlier one looked a bit like a later days ship, maybe 60s-70s with the simplified superstructure, your second one could only be taken for what it is, a beautiful model of a handsome classic merchant liner from an earlier era.

Steve.

Actually, both models are of the same ship, the Rhodesia Star, that was completed in 1943.   Everything is basically the same in both pictures, but in the black and white one, I have really made quite a mess of the whole thing, but it was my first attempt at building a steamship.

Bob

• Like 1

Bob, as always, a great build and a pleasure to look at - thank you for taking the time to upload and share (as well as answer the question on all our minds "how long to build" etc).

Of ALL the attempts to recreate the sea, yours (again!) seems to my eye to capture it perfectly. Can you recommend any tips?

Thank you

I feel that most of you could build them!     The biggest obstacle is the thought "I could never do that!"        When I first saw a miniature by Donald McNarry, I thought "I wonder how he builds them, I will take steps to find out!"   I did, and found out that I could!:)     I, on the other hand, could never build a kit!    Apart from the fact that I don't want to, I lack the space, money, time, and patience to build one sucessfully.     I tried one a few years ago, but couldn't summon up any enthusiasm, and gave it away!

Bob