1/48 MiG-25PD by Kitty Hawk

Hi gents,

Here's my 1/48 MiG-25PD based on the (awful) Kitty Hawk kit.  Lots has been said about this kit and the company, but I'll try to summarize politely.

-Rough surface finish and shallow panel lines - I ended up re-scribing the entire kit.
-Poor fit in a number of places, lack of positive attachment points, and awkward part breakdown (especially the wings).
-Questionable research - painting instructions are fantasy, incorrect and missing details for P,PD,PDS variants, well-documented shape issues.
-Low quality plastic on some sprues led to paint adhesion issues - I suspect lots of re-grind was used in some batches.

Here's a list of work performed:

-Aires ejection seat
-Misc. Eduard photoetch parts
-Scratchbuilt + modified kit exhausts to backdate to P/PD/PDS engines - used Gary Wickham's detailed build as inspiration
-Scratchbuilt pitot tubes from hypodermic needles
-Scratchbuilt intake ramps (top) and outer intake walls to correct kit black hole
-Eduard FOD covers
-Scratchbuilt APU exhaust stack underside port engine
-Scratchbuilt misc. antennae and details all over airframe
-Added brake lines and misc. detail to landing gear legs
-Lots of re-work of kit parts based on photos and helpful forum research
-Kit national markings and (excellent) Begemot stencils
-Akan and Alclad II for most exterior paint
-Wings are more filler than plastic (superglue + dental acrylic is awesome!)

Anyway, on to the pictures.  Thanks for looking!

pqIBJdd.jpg

Vi0PWNf.jpg

dRwYZKr.jpg

TPsVhlo.jpg

V8G3frV.jpg

Z64IknL.jpgsaYD0CH.jpg

gKFMgFz.jpg

gANUCFM.jpg

6nyIwDM.jpg

HiV4NuU.jpg

Edited by fj55mike
imgur tags
  • Like 43

Fantastic work, no doubt about it. :worthy:

You really went the hard way with this one, I think most of us had thrown it against the wall before closing the fuselage.

I hope it doesn't hurt too much to know that AMK announced a new tooled MiG-25. Anyways, only the brave get the girls!  :winkgrin:

This separates the boys from the men imo.

Your skills demonstrate that all the whinging that goes on at The Rumourmonger can be avoided if they just had the skill and persistance you show here.

Marvellous work man!!

Joe

Wow, that is one mean looking machine and the builder deserves a medal for assaulting it and conquering the many  short comings of the kit, the words initiative and patience spring to mind Sir. As Mostrich said, only the brave get the girls and get awarded a CDM (Cadburys Dairy Milk bar) for the sterling efforts. My best wishes.

albamac:viking:

I love these. The engines are my favorite part, they must be huge on a 1/48, on my 1/72 craptech they're almost the same size as the 1/32 eurofighter which is on the bench at the moment...

Very nicely done.

Just now, fj55mike said:

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the feedback.  I found a number of photos showing more than 2 red marks, but I think you're right in that they only apply 2 at a time:

Of couse. If you know this marks need for control at the rubber.

FCWoDrI.jpg

vWy3SQn.jpg

n8YjCPw.jpg

Nice MIG!:speak_cool: On the wheels of main gear too much red marks. Maximum - there is 2 labels.