1/48 Tamiya BMW R75 with sidecar( figure added)

Just an excuse to try out making tarps with Greenstuff.  Not very successful but learned what NOT to do and so not a total loss.  I think I can make it work once I get some paint on her.

Pics;

BMW%20R75%20Sidecar%2001.jpg

BMW%20R75%20Sidecar%2002.jpg

BMW%20R75%20Sidecar%2003.jpg

The model is in three pieces so I can paint it a bit easier.  The gap in the front of the sidecar will disappear ;)  )

I'm always amazed at how fast these little Tamiya kits go together.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Excellent Dan. The tarps look fine. The only thing that I would have changed (and I expect that it's too late now), is the rope holding the stowage on the back of the sidecar. It looks capable of tying up the QE2! Sorry. But the rest of it is great.

John.

Thanks John, you are right about the cordage.  I used some twisted lead wire of too course a size, next time ;)  I should have added a tie to the roll on the jump seat under the helmet too.  

Sigh, there is always something.  Funny thing is, that's one of the great spurs to my modelling.  'Get the next one right', which of course I never do.  Still the fun is in trying :D

Thanks Bob, glad you like it.  I have finished the basic kit and added a post in the ready for inspection section.

148-tamiya-bmw-R75-with-sidecar

Dan

• Like 1

Julian - Thank you for your kind comment.  As for painting.  After priming, I sprayed a purple mix of Tamiya acrylics to the underside of all of the parts to pre shade them.  The shot a very thin mix of Tamiya yellow from above to get a nicely shaded look.  Next after a quick spray of rattle can gloss I used many different MIG and Ak washes to get the colours to pop a bit and then pin washes mixed from Tamiya enamels thinned with Humbrol enamel thinners.  Everything was lots and lots of thin colours until I got what I was looking for.  Patience, practice and a belief that it will look okay in the end are the keys, not that I am total happy with the way this looks as I'm sure the next one will be much better. ( or worse ;) )  Then I finish with a spritz of rattle can matt finish.  I'll add a little chalk at the very end held in place with some AK fixer.  IHTH

Dan

• Like 1

Not too bad Julian, just lots of little steps ;)

I worked most of the day on adding a figure to my little scene.  I'm not too good with the old figures but practice and failing are the ways to get better so...

BMW%20R75%20Sidecar%2016.jpg

BMW%20R75%20Sidecar%2017.jpg

A fair bit more to do and I'm not too sure he'll make the cut but fun to do none the less.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 2

Another couple of hours at the bench, I'm calling this one done.  He came out better than I thought I could do.

BMW%20R75%20Sidecar%2018.jpg

BMW%20R75%20Sidecar%2019.jpg

I need some better magnification as these little guys are tiny ;) .  I'm off to mess with some more do dads and maybe a power/communication pole.  All I know is I'm having fun.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Progress?;

BMW%20R75%20Sidecar%2020.jpg

BMW%20R75%20Sidecar%2021.jpg

Not to sure this is coming out all that right.  I should have thought through where to put everything and try and tell a story rather than just whacking some stuff together, sigh.  Oh and I have heaps of ideas for stuff to whack in here.

Just goes to show just how much thought and effort goes into a good looking diorama.  A rude shock for me to begin understanding that nothing 'just happens' it has to be explicitly put somewhere. 

Still, I'm having fun and learning so that cannot be too bad.

Dan

• Like 1

WOW !! I'm really impressed !! I know that placing of all of those do dads is very important whenever building a diorama. Whenever everything is put together it should tell some sort of story or convey a particular theme. You are doing a great job so far. I'm afraid to try it since my skills are not up to speed yet.                        Bob H.