A-20G paint scheme

walkerccw

Hello all,

I am currently painting my 1/72 A-20G.  I hand brush only. I have looked at a lot of pics of the Olive Drab/Neutral Grey scheme. There seems to be a lot of different demarcation lines where the olive drab and neutral grey meet.  Some are straight, some are wavy, some higher or lower on the bottom.

Does it matter which demarcation I use? My hand painting makes it a bit difficult but I want to do the right one the first time.

CCW

Hi, CCW

My quick browse through photos at hand indicated that demarcations between Olive Drab and Neutral Gray are mostly curves and that they run fairly low on a fuselage. Which A-20G are you building? Perhaps there is a photo of this particular aircraft published somewhere. Cheers

Jure

Wow, what a load of information.

I will be building "Little Brat" of the 386th B.S.  Although the 386th isn't shown in the book, it shows the 388th which has the same scheme.

Troy, thanks for that incredible book!

...and I notice that it does not mention the switch to ANA 603/612/613.

if memory serves correctly it was A-20G-20 when it happened (will have to check a book when I get back home)

so if your machine is one of these later ones be advised you will also need ANA 612 Medium Green blotches at the leading and trailing edges of the main wing , tailplane and fin/rudder. the exact pattern of these blotches was not standardized.

edit : it was actually the A-20G-5 USAAF #42-53785 and all later machines :)

Edited by PFlint
added correct info

It depends on the dash number of the A-20G, the -20's had smaller wavy demarcation lines as they got up to the later dashes -40,-45's the wavy demarcation lines became longer and larger, this is what I have found studying pics of the various dash numbers, as the A-20J's are equivalent to later dash A-20G's they generally have the longer wavy lines.

• Like 1