1/72 - Dornier Do.23F/G by Mars Models - 3D renders+box art+sprues+test build+schemes - release in 202?

Homebee

6 hours ago, JWM said:

Interesting! - I remeber that I've seen some Do-23 in WWII markings (besides trainer of Luftwaffe), perhaps Hungarian? I have to look for it

Hi Jerszy,

Yes, I think your right, I am hoping you can find some Hungarian ones, with the chevron 'roundel'.

I will be buying a kit of this when it is released anyway.  I don't think there are to many early Luftwaffe twins like this around.

I wonder if their will be a U.K. stockist for this kit or ebay ?

Regards Colin.

• 7 months later...

7 hours ago, Pin said:

Last news (beginning of June) was that they have to redo the design as new information on the prototype was found.

The project is not abandoned but there is no release date 

Source (if you read Russian or know how to use translators)

http://www.greenmats.club/forums/topic/2372-172-do-23fg/

Pin, thank you. I read Russian, but there is on page 2 interesting info on prepared very rare models, especially nice is R-6 among other machines:

" Инфа от 15 мая

Dear frends, you often ask us about our projects... 
Yes, we delay the production of some kits, because found a lot of additional info about prototypes

KOR-2 was redesigned at 80%

R-10 was redesigned at 90%

Do-23 was redesigned at 90%

MiG-9 and R-6 in redesigned also, but don't worry, all announced projects will be released. 

All redesign is performed using original technical documentation.
We also express great gratitude to our advisors for providing additional information."

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

That would be great to see a Do-23 in injection-moulded form. I wonder how hard it would be to convert into a Do-11 (this was the earlier version with retractable landing gear - sort of the Luftwaffe equivalent to the USAAC Boeing B-9)? The R-10 looks interesting also.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pin said:

Speaking of R-6 you may be interested in 027-035:

I noticed it, but it is much nicer to build styrene kit then resin one... BTW -  I've seen recently on RFI an excelent build of this resin kit of R-6

regards

J-W

• Like 2

I have to agree with J-W; I'd rather build a polystyrene kit any day, even a limited-run kit. Resin kits are brittle, heavy, and the dust that results from sanding is toxic. You also have to use cyanoacrylate glues (super-glues), which are not the nicest things to work with. Resin models have a tendency to warp over time that polystyrene kits do not have, and the CA-glued joints are not as strong as the solvent-glued joints of polystyrene models. I've come to the point where I won't buy complete resin kits anymore (although I will buy resin conversion parts, or detail parts). I'd even rather do vacuform polystyrene kits than resin.

Regards,

Jason (former resin kit builder)

• Like 4

Again I will argue

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

Resin kits are brittle

Modern resin compounds (personally I use PolyCast G27) once cured are flexible enough to withstand moderate impact. Resin casting, however, makes it possible to achieve the level of detail that is hardly possible with traditional injection moulding - razor sharp edges, thinnest antennae etc., these things are delicate and easy to break indeed. 

heavy

What's wrong with being heavy? 

the dust that results from sanding is toxic

Toxicity of resin dust is a wide spread prejudice, once cured resin is chemically neutral. What is not healthy is the dust, any dust, no matter resin, polyester or domestic. The only operation that produces significant amount of dust is detaching large parts from sprue, as soon as normal precaution measures are taken one should not be worried about the health. 

which are not the nicest things to work with.

Disagree, this is one of the nicest things to work with. Not only it produces a very strong bond (again, contrary to what you say), it comes in a variety of packages and properties so you can choose what is right for a given piece of work - high or low viscosity, liquid or gel, transparent, impact resistant, brush, nozzle or needle etc. etc. etc.  I have at least 4 different CA based glues on my workbench  - gel, liquid, low viscosity, impact resistant (black) + activator and debonder (how about "undoing" a "normal" plastic glue?). I widely use CA with polyester models as well.

Resin models have a tendency to warp over time that polystyrene kits do not have

Do you have evidence? My oldest resin kit is built in 2007, I don't see any tendency of wrapping. Polystyrene, just like resin, is amorphous, that means that sooner or later all our models will be just bulbs of plastic (yes, resin is a kind of plastic too). The good thing is that we will be eaten by worms much sooner. I admit, however, that some compounds may be softer than others. 

I've come to the point where I won't buy complete resin kits anymore (although I will buy resin conversion parts, or detail parts). I'd even rather do vacuform polystyrene kits than resin.

Fair enough, some people even prefer building ugly tanks to wonderful planes or even prefer blasphemous 1/48 (or even larger) to true 1/72 and 1/144!

My point was that many perverts (myself included) would rather build resin than polyester, therefore 

3 hours ago, JWM said:

it is much nicer to build styrene kit then resin one

statement is missing "IMHO

Enough of offtopic :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pin said:

Why?

I have built enough resin kits to disagree.

I did some resin kits, I will do some more (in stash I have four Choroszy resin rarities). I often copying parts  by myself in resin to do conversions. But I think Jason explained exactly what is not nice with resin... And as he I like also much more vacuforms then resin kits.

3 minutes ago, Pin said:

statement is missing "IMHO

And of course what is nice and what is not nice is exactly IMHO :)

BTW - You may see my Caproni 309 which is a scratch build from resin mostly (copied parts like wings from Italeri Ca 313 in resin as well as resin putty and resin plates from which fuselage is done).  I did her in 2004 or about it...

Or example of resin kit constructed by me - the Ardpol Douglas O2M

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

What's wrong with heavy is that heavy items tend to hit the floor with rather more impact than lighter items. I have a quite heavy full-resin He-46 that I've already rebuilt once from when it fell and hit the floor, shattering like a piece of glass. The second time, it was just the fuselage that fell and shattered (I was nearly ready to glue the repaired wing to the repaired fuselage), but enough is enough. It is too heavy and brittle for me to faff about with any more. I too use different types of CA on my polystyrene kits where dissimilar parts need to be glued together, and it works fine, but to have a kit where it is necessary to glue every piece to every other piece with CA, I find it to be rather nasty stuff to work with. However, to each his or her own, and this is just my opinion, but I have worked on many resin kits, and used many resin accessories over the years so I consider it to be a well-considered opinion, one I have reluctantly reached over the years (although I may indulge myself with a few more Prop & Jet kits, as they are such beautiful kits, even if they are full-resin). I do still have quite a few resin kits, some of which are of such excellent subjects (such as a Boeing Monomail) that I will no doubt build them some day. I do heartily agree that one should stick to wingy things in the one true scale!

Best Regards,

Jason 

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JWM said:

Dear frends, you often ask us about our projects... 

Yes, we delay the production of some kits, because found a lot of additional info about prototypes

KOR-2 was redesigned at 80%

R-10 was redesigned at 90%

Do-23 was redesigned at 90%

MiG-9 and R-6 in redesigned also, but don't worry, all announced projects will be released. 

All redesign is performed using original technical documentation.
We also express great gratitude to our advisors for providing additional information."

Cheers

J-W

Very interesting! I'm looking forward very eagerly to the R-6 and R-10, and maybe the MiG-9! You might keep the Yak-1b in the back of your mind for future consideration, too...;)

John

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:55 PM, Learstang said:

I have to agree with J-W; I'd rather build a polystyrene kit any day, even a limited-run kit. Resin kits are brittle, heavy, and the dust that results from sanding is toxic. You also have to use cyanoacrylate glues (super-glues), which are not the nicest things to work with. Resin models have a tendency to warp over time that polystyrene kits do not have, and the CA-glued joints are not as strong as the solvent-glued joints of polystyrene models. I've come to the point where I won't buy complete resin kits anymore (although I will buy resin conversion parts, or detail parts). I'd even rather do vacuform polystyrene kits than resin.

Regards,

Jason (former resin kit builder)

Yes. I am inclined to agree with you. I don't like vac forms either but, I'd rather build a vac form than a full resin kit. You can add to all of the above the generally high cost of resin kits. I have several multi media kits that come with resin parts included but, unless they are absolutely essential & not just replacing existing kit parts then they go straight in the bin - along with any p/e parts (another pet hate!:lol:) As to my reasoning behind  buying such  multi media kits in the first place? Well, sometimes you have no option if you want a particular subject!!

Allan (occasional resin conversion parts user but, not resin kit builder or detail parts user!:lol:)  

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...