Alex' P-51B Mustang III (Revell, 1/72)

alex

Good afternoon,

just got back from a week of holidays in Paris. Beautiful weather, by the way!

And now, time to start with the Mustang. It's the famous kit from Revell, this time with the Malcom hood and decals for two RAF versions in the Dark sea grey/Ocean grey/Dark green scheme. It should be a rather quick build, which I will do along the Airfix Tiffie. They are both the same colours, so I will improve efficiency in painting two aircrafts with one mix of colours. So, don't be alarmed if you spot some parts which don't belong to a Mustang!

Just some minor questions, the interiour of the mustang was the usual RAF interior green/grey, correct?

Alex

The sprue shot as they were last afternoon. The kit looks rather simple, I will do the flaps raised. It will be in the 316sq (Polish), with the tanks. I hope they are correct for this version? Sorry, but I'm a bit of a Mustang noob.

1-start_zpsakqsop48.jpg

Before applying the first colour, I primed it with Mr. Surfacer 1000. I love it!

2-grundiert_zpssuejhr4j.jpg

And the first colour, RAF interiour green, Humbrol 78. It's a bit strange to me that the gear well shoud be painted in the same colour as well, but the Tamiya 1/48-instruction confirms it.

3-interiour_zpsuokbmiqt.jpg

Cockpit looks nice, it has good details, considering it's 1/72. Maybe I will put a pilot into the cockpit, from the Revell RAF pilots kit. We'll see...

Alex

• Like 2

Hey Alex,

I built this model way back in 2013 for my first GB.  It's a great model and I do own about 6 more of it, I liked it that much!  I will be watching with great interest :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I changed a bit my mind, I will lower the flaps. Some work and sanding needed, but it's relatively easy.

4-flaps_zpsuqhtvxbf.jpg

Sidewalls, here before the washing with oil colour. Not bad for a 1/72-kit, really!

5-sidewalls_zpsmg7ph8ql.jpg

Instrument panel, OOB. Some black and a drybrushing. Looks better than the decal, I think.

6-panel_zps42l1sbrx.jpg

The seat has been changed a bit, I removed the rather chunky side frames (they looked a bit like armor plates), and replaced them with two bits of sprue.

7-seat_zpsrrnetmyu.jpg

And the cockpit floor. It got some dry brushing as well, I hope the fuselage can be put together this afternoon.

8-cockpit_zps2jg0muer.jpg

Alex

• Like 2

5 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Err, I thought the start date was now the 22nd? Don't want you getting disqualified!

your ok Charlie   25% rule 

Cheer's Les

Cockpit glued in place. Seat belts are from an Eduard fret, painted with Revell Ochre with white. Now, the washing is visible.

9-cockpit2_zpszjfocdwe.jpg

Wing underside attached. In order to make the wing parts a bit more stable (as I cut away the flaps), I added a piece of styrene to support the upper wing shell. Trust me, I'm an engineer (well, almost!)

10-wing_zpsipyjpjy3.jpg

A more close up look of the other side.

11-wing2_zpson0jhfeg.jpg

Alex

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wings attached, filled and sanded

12-wing3_zpsyzu1nvs9.jpg

And flaps attached as well.

13-flaps_zpsj8lg0fl7.jpg

But not happy with the result, it still has a gap, and I'm not sure if and how to fix it. Guess I sanded a bit too much of the filling piece.

14-gap1_zpsojfumquo.jpg

Same on the other side.

15-gap2_zps6sxzsuuk.jpg

Fitting is good on the underside, so maybe cut it away and start over again? Or inserting a small strip of styrene and hope that it would look ok?

Alex

I attached a small resin gunsight from quickboost. Small, but nice!

16-gunsight_zps19abbngo.jpg

I removed the flaps, attached some more styrene and after some sanding, it looks a bit nicer than before! Angle of the flaps is a bit steeper, too.

17-flaps_zpskrnsich9.jpg

The canopy supplied by revell is awful, it gives almost no view to the inside. I think I will make the Mustang with an open canopy (which I normally don't do, because of dust)

18-canopy_zpst7jtmgjg.jpg

Next week hopefully primer and first colours! :)

Alex

• Like 3

I cut the clear part into 4 pieces, as I will display it with open canopy. The two parts behind the cockpit are glued into place. You can spot there's still a small step, which need to be removed. Otherwise it's too wide for the moving part. And the nice gunsight by Quickboost, it looks really nice!

19-canopy2_zps4cy88wfo.jpg

The gunsight from the other side. Clear part attached with thinned PVA (aka white glue)

20-gunsight2_zpssjr65w67.jpg

Windshield attached as well. I scraped the area above the green line carefully a bit thinner.

21-canopy3_zpsbo5lzegu.jpg

Now, the canopy fits much better and at the correct height! :)

22-canopy4_zpsubizzjkl.jpg

Alex

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Priming with Mr. Surfacer 1000 has been applied. Left is the Airfix Typhoon I'm building in parallel to the Mustang. So I have to clean the Airbrush only once for two models.

23-primer_zpsq5dtgmxo.jpg

Preshading

24-preshading_zpswgnnkffs.jpg

And the white for the wing stripes, and as a base for the sky band around the fuselage. The yellow leading edges will be painted at the very end.

25-white_zpsmib4ec8p.jpg

Alex

• Like 4

Thanks! Well, if it doesn't have to be a Mustang B/C, I would go for the Airfix Mustang, which already has the drooped flaps option. it was more work than expected.

Alex

Yesterday, I airbrushed the Gunze dark green. Today the silver parts (gear, tanks), and next week hopefully the ocean grey.

27-darkgreen_zpsb9yd4cks.jpg

The prop looks nice, I don't like single-blades too much, but Revell has engineered it that way that the prop angle should be correct on all the blades. The Kit has a small piece to be glued in place to fix the prop, but I will put in a soft polycap, so that the prop can be removed just in case. Why are there always cat hairs on all the photos I'm taking since two years?

28-prop_zpsrx30fidu.jpg

Alex

• Like 3

A small question in between: I painted the Ocean Grey I will use on the Mustang first on the Tiffie, as a test: What do the experts think, does it look ok? It's the xtracrylic one. Maybe some postshading will be added as well.

Tiffie1_zpsltisdggf.jpg

Alex

• Like 2