Mustang IV "Dooleybird./////Finished///////

stevej60

Hi folk's,my entry will be Mustang IV "Dooleybird" flown by Fl.Lt Artur Dolan in 1945/46.For a brief time the aircrft was based up the road at

RAF Acklington so there's my local interest and as many will remember it featured as an option on matchbox's kit back in the seventies.I

plan to use Tamiya's kit and Dave(Spaddad) kindly sent my the decal's,there's a bit of info here and a reference to Arthur Dolan walking

into a shop and discovering his aircraft was the subject of a model!

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/dooleybird-mustang-pilots-logbook-donation/

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

So it's to be Dooleybirds at dawn, is it? Righto then, we'll call for seconds.

You win, I'm doing the Matchbox version. :)

(And maybe the 72th Airfix one too, if I find the time.) ((And maybe maybe a Tamiya or Hasegawa one in 48th too too, if I can find can find the time the time. But I doubt I will.))

• Like 1

Funny enough Rob it was you entry that gave me the idea,I knew having built Tamiya's "C" a couple of months ago that their "D" was

a no brainer and thought it would be great to do this scheme as I remember the Matchbox one from being a Kid,Spaddad sent me the

Hasegawa decals so just the kit to pick up in a week or two after I finish a couple of other thing's.

• Like 1

Kit is now in my grubby hands so roll on the 22nd's start date then the fun start's as me and metal finishes don't get on.Here's the C I

built a month or so ago which fell together as do most Tamiya kit's.

DSCN1565_zpsyzgtiagu.jpg

DSCN1564_zpswfi0ddtg.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folk's just fondling the sprues and cutting the major part's off  ready for a start,decal's gathered too.

DSCN3867_zps24fhtnwo.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Looking very nice mate. Just one thing to note though - RAF Mustangs weren't natural metal, they were Aluminium (the paint type, not the metal. Although they were that as well. Confused? Me too.). So a nice medium silver will most likely do. Here's a link to a discussion on our very own Britmodeller

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28590-mustang-iv-dooleybird-query/

The 4th post down has a scanned info sheet about the paint standard for Mustang Mk.IVs. I am however, prepared to be corrected by thems as knows better. (I'll be doing my Mbox one in silver, regardless.)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Looking very nice mate. Just one thing to note though - RAF Mustangs weren't natural metal, they were Aluminium (the paint type, not the metal. Although they were that as well. Confused? Me too.). So a nice medium silver will most likely do. Here's a link to a discussion on our very own Britmodeller

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28590-mustang-iv-dooleybird-query/

The 4th post down has a scanned info sheet about the paint standard for Mustang Mk.IVs. I am however, prepared to be corrected by thems as knows better. (I'll be doing my Mbox one in silver, regardless.)

Cheer's Rob,that actually makes life easier none of that different panel shading etc I think I have some Halford's paint in the 

shed.

Thank's Rob,God these kit's fall together! I had the wings assembled a day or so ago so with the internal's done twenty minutes and

here she is,not a sniff of filler anywhere.I,ve been looking at images and profiles with the different take's on the finish but I'm going to

stick with the blue top fuselage and canopy frame.

DSCN3899_zpsmb0ejlqf.jpg

Morning Folk's,I'm trying to keep this one a slow build believe it or not so only one session a week,this week I'm at the primer stage

which I have finished,just used an old colour to prime her in and rattle can aluminium for the airframe colour when I get round to that 

stage,every time I open the box I'm more and more tempted to build Louiv as a second build for this GB my LMS does this kit for £15

which is a cracking price.

DSCN3923_zpse9qh3om9.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good Steve! Even for a weekly sessions that's faster than I can manage!! Can't wait to see the silver on her :thumbsup:

I don't know if you know but if I remember correctly it's not possible to do louIV straight from the tamiya box as she's a fillet-less D. There is aftermarket to do it though ;)

Joss

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Joss,I think I could do the "surgery" on the fuselage all being well I did it on a smaller scale with Airfix's 1/72 kit.

SDC10635_zps3894cfd4.jpg

Awesome looking musrang!! I've always like the early D but never had the guts to cut a kit up!

Going by the completed two this ones gunna look very nice.

I'll be following if I may :popcorn:

Joss

• Like 1

On 03/11/2016 at 11:50, stevej60 said:

...my LMS does this kit for £15

which is a cracking price.

Yes it is, where is your local? 

Looking good, I do think you should do more than one modelling session a week though! ;)

Edited by SimonT
Punctuation
  • Like 1

Simon it's near Durham he does a permanent 10-20% of his ranges sadly for mail order for anyone out of reach it puts the price

back to normal.sorry for the poor picture here she is pre-decal's.

DSCN3944_zpsw9jwjqri.jpg

And main decal's on,the eagle eyed will notice the smaller than accurate upper wing roundel's I have none of the slightly

larger in the stash so I havn't sealed them in and may replace in the future.

DSCN3947_zpsflujp09o.jpg

• Like 7

Looking good, the aluminium seems to have covered well. You're at the home straight already!

Wish my local did that... Can't grumble though, at least I still have a local store!

Edited by SimonT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

And main decal's on,the eagle eyed will notice the smaller than accurate upper wing roundel's I have none of the slightly

larger in the stash so I havn't sealed them in and may replace in the future.

You're a very naughty boy, you said you had the decals in stock and only needed the specific markings. Anyway the correct size roundels are on the way so deffo refrain from any sealing in.

• Like 1

Many thank's Dave,I trawled the model shop for a blue and found the perfect match in Airfix's acrylic range,got it home to find a solid 

lump of blue in the pot so it shall be returned!Anyway until then I've painted and assembled the wheel's etc and painted the U/C bay

and inner doors.

DSCN3957_zpsvycltrdf.jpg

• Like 3