Steve's 1/48 scale meander.

Hi folk's,I have one or two projects on the go at the moment(to put it mildly) and should know better than to start another but I have,Now I have

waited over a year for this kit to arrive at my LMS but he's never been able to get one despite being an Airfix main stockist,so after ordering one

from King Kit which arrived Friday last week I now have one in my grubby mits!I will stick my neck out right now and say I think this is certainly in

the top three as the best kit in quality that I 've seen from Airfix the only negative is the almost Identical schemes on the decal/colour sheet even

a black version would have made me grab another straight away.So Boxart.

DSCN3734_zpsjcwombxj.jpg

Some of the beautifully main parts.

DSCN3737_zpsjfvjahyu.jpg

As you can see I,ve started the basic cockpit detailing.

DSCN3735_zpsdhnfeyim.jpg

Sidewall detail.

DSCN3736_zpsuab8gdjj.jpg

So you know me,a relatively quick build of a couple of weeks OOB but I might try a couple of new techniques picked up on the forum and just to liven 

thing's up a couple of snippets from what I'm doing with Airfix's 1/48 Vb and Spitfire xii.

Regards Steve.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I have one or two projects on the go at the moment(to put it mildly) and should know better than to start another

We'll be the judge of that Steve.:P :nodding:

Crack-on with this - we'll be watching!

Tony

• Like 1

Thank's tony with the arrival of our first Grandchild early December I want to cram as much into the next couple of months before

what I suspect will be a curtailing of the modelling time,anyway I've started the interior with a base coat of interior green.

DSCN3741_zpshs3xxlfp.jpg

And here's a look at the Spitfire Mkxii,I have never really liked the Spitfire with clipped wing's so this is my first crack at one,Airfix's

kit is a real beauty with just enough detail to satisfy most and after getting this far I love the fit of parts only a tiny bit of filler was

needed just in front of the cockpit.Here's my usual" just busy enough" build of the cockpit.

DSCN3722_zpsrabkr97j.jpg

DSCN3723_zpsfycnxjjs.jpg

And quite a big jump to where she is now with lower colours and top base coat applied.

DSCN3740_zpsiwps6euq.jpg

Thanks for popping in.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 7

Hi folk's,Fuselage all buttoned up with no real issues the top panel above the engine slipped on beautifully no filler has been

needed at all so far.

DSCN3762_zps27puwi37.jpg

Next step was the wing assembly which involved clipping in place the enclosed wheel well,and fixing the rectangular inserts that

give support to the outer wing panel's.

DSCN3763_zpsqewdno5b.jpg

The wings are now assembled and drying again a superb fit,nice one Airfix!Lastly the Vb has progressed after the usual trials

and tribulation's we all seem to go through with this kit,As you can see this will be a rare all black night fighter scheme which

will require some thought as to how I get an interesting finish on the black.

DSCN3765_zpsjvmkhopg.jpg

• Like 4

Hi folk's,got a bit more done,assembled the turret ready for painting.

DSCN3777_zpsztl4fuoj.jpg

Can't see an issue with the fit yet but I don't want to push it right in till it's painted.

DSCN3775_zpsctjyl1tk.jpg

and a good bit done on the Vb,I sprayed the wing root and leading edges silver then the whole airframe in NATO black.

I then lightened the black a couple of shades and with the brush on low power misted the fuselage top and wing leading

edges and streaked lines along the direction of the airflow in quick passes,before glossing i buffed the lot with a soft cloth

and rubbed of the maskol I had dabbed on the wings and chipped a few areas to show wear and tear.

DSCN3779_zpsjz3fhk58.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all,Defiant under surface painted then masked and the upper surface earth applied.

DSCN3782_zpsuu8scq9w.jpg

And I,ve brush painted three thinned coats of RAF green on the Griffon powered Spitfire and glossed her.

DSCN3783_zpsyjoehnzs.jpg

• Like 7

Hi all,I,ve ran a light gray was into the Vb's panel lines and added exhausts,wheels prop etc so she now needs a matt coat which

should bring out the shading again.

DSCN3784_zpsesbfi4fx.jpg

DSCN3785_zpsgeyxgbuo.jpg

And prop painted with spinner hub and fuselage band painted after matching best I could with codes.

DSCN3786_zpslzoznnk0.jpg

• Like 10

Hi folk's,Defiant progress in the form of the green camo applied.three thinned coats brush painted.I've had a look in the daylight

and looks good but I think I'll give one more extra thin coat just finish.

DSCN3788_zpsh70qaizm.jpg

• Like 3

Latest progress after glossing I've got the main decals on without any drama's they were a little more matt than usual for Airfix but behaved

themselves.

DSCN3793_zpseb6sfoz9.jpg

I went for the army co-operation squadron option as these unglamourous squadrons don't seem to get modelled

that often and I liked the unusual layout of the codes.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

Morning folk's the two spitfire's are finished and went into RFI on Monday so this is the last of the trio.she's on her U/C and all the decals are on.

I,ve put a wash on the few panel lines and painted the exhaust's and prop,as you can see the turret is painted but not the glazing.

DSCN3849_zpskckgmixb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the comment's guy's,the Defiant is now drying after a matt coat,now up to now apart from the well known issues with the Vb it's

all been plain sailing so this one might just buck the trend it's Revell's re-boxing of I think Special Hobby's late war Sea Fire started a few day's

back,beautifully molded in a very "waxy" gloss plastic which in places just doesn't want to glue together especially on the leading edge of the 

inner wing due to the boxing in parts of the wheel well's as even after shaving some off plastic you need to really clamp the things and leave

for a couple of days.Anyway basic painting and dry-brushing of the cockpit and tape belts added.

DSCN3850_zpsz1brkqhn.jpg

And a dry brush of the IP and dials picked out with a cocktail stick.

DSCN3852_zpsgaudmweu.jpg

• Like 3

Morning folk's matt coat dried nicely and turret painted and installed just clicked into place with no fuss thankfully.

DSCN3856_zpsz0aziqca.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5