AIRFIX 1/48 Supermarine Walrus Mk.I Released + New box in 2024

sofiane1718

5 minutes ago, Ka-Efka said:

I'm out. Too bad.

The surface 'detail' is not mine. Yes, it's all doable but the question is if it is worth the effort for me. So far I don't see it. :-(

More for the rest of us then!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

I'm out. Too bad.

The surface 'detail' is not mine. Yes, it's all doable but the question is if it is worth the effort for me. So far I don't see it. :-(

Wow, tough man to please. I opened the box and was well impressed by the surface treatment of both wings and fuselage - it's one of Airfix's much better efforts.

Jeff

• Like 1

Well there is a market for this kit as Airfix sold out whitin a week....

@Ka-Efka i do understand your point of view as this amount of detail is difficult to keep alive when less experienced builders wil have a go at it.

But then again i love this one and for me it is worth the effort like a lot of us..

I know my post sounds quite harsh and unfair considering the mould quality and finesse of the surface details. Thing is I dislike all the holes which are meant to be flush rivets. This I'd need to rectify on my build. Doable, as said, but there's to much interesting competition on my stash for that.

I know very well the modeling community is rather torn on this subject. I totally don't like them, but I can see them becoming a valuable addition in some cases*. My take is: It's much easier to add them as a modeller than to remove them. 

*: And I can as well se why many like them in general.

I hope this clarifies my above post (and doesn't start a discussion on the rivets as I think that topic is exhaustively discussed ;-) )

• Like 2

Wot no Pilot Chappie type or crew members? Airfix could have bumped up the price easily with 1 pilot figure into a series 10 kit or;

65b75feeab178d80eb5f77a1b2770ad7--cockpi

an Elephant with a Mahout of any description? into a series 12 kit

032fac761c116d4de7bd50d54c89d446--war-el

Edited by Uncle Dick
  • Like 7

I have a question: what is the vertical cylindrical thing on the port side of the fuselage, just about level with the forward hatch? It looks a bit like an exhaust but it's a heck of a distance from the engine!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

23 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

I know my post sounds quite harsh and unfair considering the mould quality and finesse of the surface details. Thing is I dislike all the holes which are meant to be flush rivets. This I'd need to rectify on my build. Doable, as said, but there's to much interesting competition on my stash for that.

I know very well the modeling community is rather torn on this subject. I totally don't like them, but I can see them becoming a valuable addition in some cases*. My take is: It's much easier to add them as a modeller than to remove them. 

*: And I can as well se why many like them in general.

I hope this clarifies my above post (and doesn't start a discussion on the rivets as I think that topic is exhaustively discussed ;-) )

I thought I was the only one to think that!

Edited by Dave Fleming

41 minutes ago, bhouse said:

I have a question: what is the vertical cylindrical thing on the port side of the fuselage, just about level with the forward hatch? It looks a bit like an exhaust but it's a heck of a distance from the engine!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

According to this picture from the pilot's notes, it's a thermometer bulb

http://www.seawings.co.uk/walman25.htm

I'm not sure if it's for taking air or water temperature.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Thanks 1

Thank you VMA (if I may call you that?)

It'll probably return the temperature of whatever it's immersed in at the time I suppose. I'll have a dig to see if I can discover anything else about it.

B

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm not sure if it's for taking air or water temperature.

It's for air temperature of a capillary type thermometer and display, what you see is an alloy cover to protect the bulb from direct sunlight.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bhouse said:

Thank you VMA (if I may call you that?)

It'll probably return the temperature of whatever it's immersed in at the time I suppose. I'll have a dig to see if I can discover anything else about it.

B

It's probably a wild assumption but I would guess that shipboard Walri would have been used for met flights.  I think I've seen the same device on contemporary Anson aircraft.

10 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Bring back written kit instructions I say. That's how I learnt what parts of aircraft were called, it's also how I learnt to read.

Thought that only applied to me?  Glad I'm not the only one. 

Edited by Dave Batt
grammer 'n' speling

9 hours ago, bhouse said:

Thanks 71chally. What an elaborate way to measure air temp...

And wouldn't the aluminium cover increase the air temp around the bulb?

No, because there are openings in it.   I suspect it works like a Stevenson screen that we use in met enclosures.

I'm also assuming that the system was a more trusted method and was required due to the Walrus' prolonged exposure to the elements prior to any short notice use.

11 hours ago, 71chally said:

No, because there are openings in it.   I suspect it works like a Stevenson screen that we use in met enclosures.

I'm also assuming that the system was a more trusted method and was required due to the Walrus' prolonged exposure to the elements prior to any short notice use.

The bulb would need to be kept dry otherwise it would be measuring a temperature somewhere between the wet-bulb and dry-bulb temps due to evaporation of moisture from its surface.

Holes representing flush rivets is fast becoming one of my pet hates too, but Airfix are not the only guilty party in this respect . 

As for prices, while I'm not happy to see them rise, I think that 1/48 Airfix kits still represents good value for money compared to some others  which turn out to be inaccurate and badly fitting.

• Like 2

Pricing wise I must say I can accept to pay more for a niche product than a mainstream one. Even from a 'mainstream' manufacturer. If they elect not to do a mixed calculation and this might allow them to experiment a little more with less mass compatible subjects, I'm all in.

• Like 1