AIRFIX 1/48 Supermarine Walrus Mk.I Released + New box in 2024

sofiane1718

Very nice and a good choice  - I'm very unlikely to buy one, I must confess (stash too big, resolution of 'no new tool 48th Airfix kit until they do the Spitfire XIV' in that scale currently holding up well...), but if you look at the history of the aircraft (I appreciate I'm preaching to the converted here) the dear old generally unsung Shagbat deserves/needs a good kit, and that CAD suggests that Airfix are likely to deliver it.

Certainly a surprise, quite a change, and certainly aiming at the more unusual subjects, and therefore target a more specific target market, which is good do not get me wrong, but not the obvious choice for a kid or casual modeller to pick up as they walk into a model shop.

As always though I am sure we will eagerly await this new model.

Ali

Sorry to be a misery but a Shagbat does not rock my boat at all Now a multi variant Hunter would get a very different reaction from me! Perhaps they will announce that very soon?

John

I'm very unlikely to buy one. More likely to buy at least two or three!

This is one of those aeroplanes that doesn't fit with my usual areas of interest at all, but still fascinates me. I think I'll need one for RAF SAR, another for the FAA, and one for the Australian arctic one that's in the RAAF Museum.

• Like 1

Inspired choice.  Anyone detect a pattern with Airfix.... Lots of original 1950-60 subjects being re-tooled but with alternate scales between 1/72 (Me 262) and 1/48 (Defiant, Walrus, Gnat)  with new subjects being thrown in occasionally (Meteor, BE 2).  

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-wwii-classic-in-148th-scale/

Walrus Update.

In the previous edition of Workbench, we were pleased to be able to announce the superb Supermarine Walrus in 1/48th scale, which has certainly appeared to get Airfix modellers just a little excited.  As we continue to bring you these exclusive launch announcements much earlier in the development process than would usually be the case, we receive additional information all the time, which we will always share with you when we can.  Our launch announcement came before we had access to any of the early CAD 3D shape images that are produced during the early stages of any new tooling project and we were unable to include them.  We are pleased to be in a position to put that right now and further showcase the talents of our design team, who not only have a flair for computer skills, but must also be closet mathematicians.

ImageS     

A selection of early CAD 3D shape images from the new Walrus project.

ImageT

ImageV

The collection of images above shows how the Walrus project used original drawings and a complex table of numbers to create these accurate CAD 3D shapes, which helped to form the base model CAD files.  With many of the projects they undertake, the designers do not need to laser scan the subject aircraft they are working on, as they already have access to accurate drawings.  Using their skills and experience to effectively interpret this data, they can produce extremely accurate files on which to base the new project.  These interesting images show how this collection of numbers was used to construct a fuselage skeleton and then the unmistakable fuselage of this famous amphibian.  This particular model is already looking like being one of the key releases of 2017.

V.P.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

New Xtradecal sheet

- ref. X48174 - Vickers Supermarine Walrus Mk.1 Collection

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48174

• L2177/071 711 Flight HMS Sussex, Mediterranean Fleet 1938;
  • L2253 / J9G 714 Flight HMS Manchester China Station;
  • L2236 G9U 712 NAS FAA HMS Cumberland, Home Fleet 1939;
  • L2271 / 34 712 NAS FAA HMS Southampton, Home Fleet 1938-9;
  • W3040/ AA5R 751 Sqn RAFDundee, Scotland 1944
  • W3065/P HMS Victorious British Pacific Flight, Japan 1945;
  • W2771 / 9F 710 NAS FAA, HMS Albatross 1940;
  • HD908/BA D 227 Squadron RAF 1944-45;

X48174  X48174  X48174

X48174 X48174

V.P.

• Like 1

Having had an opportunity to take a good look over the prototype model at the Hornby trade event yesterday I have to say that I am very impressed with it. The Airfix guys have put a lot of work into it, and I think it will be very favourably received once it is released.:goodjob:

• Like 5

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:13 PM, Tbolt said:

Interesting they've gone for 1/48th scale instead of 1/72nd. Looks nice in the CAD, I guess I'm going to have to learn to rig biplanes!

This could be my first time too - never had the nerve even to add an aerial to my naive work.

Ironically they could have really done with doing the Sea Otter rather than the Walrus as that would go well with their Seafire XVII, Seafire 47 and Sea Fury, but alas there are no Sea Otter survivors :(

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

This could be my first time too - never had the nerve even to add an aerial to my naive work.

Yeah I don't enjoy adding aerial wires, though I do usually add them. At least this being in 1/48th scale should be a bit less fiddle to rig.

As the streamline RAF wires used for the rigging will be noticeable (and just look wrong if a round thread is used) on this kit. Does anyone know of a way of accurately depicting (taught)  RAF wires in this scale?

6 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

As the streamline RAF wires used for the rigging will be noticeable (and just look wrong if a round thread is used) on this kit. Does anyone know of a way of accurately depicting (taught)  RAF wires in this scale?

Could you obtain some old Contrail strut then stretch it? Alternatively file a strip of PC to shape then stretch that.

5 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

Ironically they could have really done with doing the Sea Otter rather than the Walrus as that would go well with their Seafire XVII, Seafire 47 and Sea Fury, but alas there are no Sea Otter survivors :(

Just mount the engine facing the other way, nobody will notice...:wicked:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

Just mount the engine facing the other way, nobody will notice...:wicked:

Now that is just wicked :wicked: Naughty Boy!!!