AIRFIX 1/48 Supermarine Walrus Mk.I Released

sofiane1718

7 hours ago, Aeronut said:

As the streamline RAF wires used for the rigging will be noticeable (and just look wrong if a round thread is used) on this kit. Does anyone know of a way of accurately depicting (taught)  RAF wires in this scale?

I think the thicker EZline has more of a flat look to it, though never used it myself.

6 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Thanks for that, I'll look for some and give it a go.

EZline can be a bit variable in width. Might be better to use lycra thread, which is more consistent. Can be prepainted steel with Modelmaster Metaliser (under tension). Paint stays on when the thread is flexed, which is not the case with an acrylic such as Citadel paint. Not tried anything else so can't help there.

Paul.

On 10/7/2016 at 5:06 PM, jaw said:

Sorry to be a misery but a Shagbat does not rock my boat at all Now a multi variant Hunter would get a very different reaction from me! Perhaps they will announce that very soon?

John

Oh, this ROCKS MY BOAT, CRAZILY!! 

I love the fugly Shagbat and find this to be wonderful news!!

I'll make my old Frog kit for an in water/landing display diorama attempt and this - THIS kit will be the main event, right next to my Monogram PBY!

Edited by aurora-7
excitement!
  • Like 1

Does any one know if an etched fret will be produced for the rigging like the one Tamiya produce for the Swordfish ???

Would save a whole lot of hassell.

Dick

1 hour ago, jenko said:

Does any one know if an etched fret will be produced for the rigging like the one Tamiya produce for the Swordfish ???

Would save a whole lot of hassell.

Dick

Airfix have tried doing brass in the past, most recently for some of the Operation Herrick vehicles, and it doesn't appear to have done particularly well for them.  Perhaps your enquiry would be better directed at Eduard (who did the frets for Airfix IIRC) and who seem to have had a more successful experience with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/naval-aviation-update-and-airfix-2017-range-launch/

New Walrus coming together

ImageB

First test shot build of the new 1/48th scale Supermarine Walrus

The annual Scale ModelWorld show at Telford is always a valuable opportunity for the Airfix team to showcase our latest model developments and to spend time engaging with our loyal and extremely knowledgeable modellers. Over the course of this busy weekend, thousands of modellers and enthusiasts visited the Airfix stand and it is possible to quickly gauge modeller sentiment regarding the new model announcements for 2017. Clearly different models will appeal to different people and everyone will have their own particular favourite, but from the comments overheard at Telford this year, it seems as if the new 1/48th scale Supermarine Walrus is a kit that a great many modellers intend to add to their future build project schedule.

In this slightly larger scale, the new Walrus will certainly make for an impressive model centrepiece, even though it has to be said that the aircraft itself would not really be in the running for any aviation aesthetics awards. That being said the Supermarine Walrus has to be regarded as one of the more interesting aircraft of the Second World War and one which can certainly claim to be one of designer R.J Mitchell’s most successful creations. If you were unfortunate enough to have ditched in the English Channel during WWII, you would certainly have been glad to see a Walrus gliding down to rescue you and probably hold this biplane amphibian in extremely high regard.

We are pleased to be able to bring Workbench readers this exclusive update on the new 1/48th scale Supermarine Walrus project as it advances one stage further towards its eventual release. As readers will be aware, these images are being brought to you very early in the development process and there is still a lot of work to be done before the model can be released for production – that being said, this is another fascinating insight into the development work required in bringing a new model tooling to market.

ImageC

ImageD

An exclusive look at the first test sprue shots from the new Walrus tooling

For the Airfix development team, the arrival of the first test sprues from any new tooling project is a time of great excitement. This is the first time that they will have seen the fruits of their considerable labours in kit form, giving them an idea of what the new model will look like. Unfortunately for them this is also a time of feverish activity, as every aspect of the component parts must be checked for accuracy and detail – only when this work has been completed can a test build of the kit commence.

Constructing a model from the first test shots is another crucial stage in the development of a new tooling and requires great dexterity and attention to detail from the development team. Checking every aspect of each component part as the first build progresses, the fit of the individual pieces will be assessed, not only to ensure the model is as accurate as possible, but also to ensure the build is a pleasurable experience for the modeller. Importantly for a model as complex as the Walrus, the team will need to build an example of the kit in each of the available configurations, from alternate undercarriage positions, to the wings configured for flight and folded back for stowage. Once this work is completed, they will have a number of unique and extremely interesting 1st test shot builds and a clear indication of the work they still need to do. We look forward to bringing you further updates from the Supermarine Walrus project in the coming weeks, but for now, we hope you enjoy seeing these exclusive first images from the first test shot builds.

ImageHImageEImageFImageG

The Supermarine Walrus Mk.I 1:48 is expected to arrive in Autumn 2017 and is available to pre-order now from your local Airfix stockist or the Airfix website.

V.P.

• Like 2

Love the look of that. As for the rivets, isn't the real thing quite 'rivetty pronounced' on the fuselage and not very flush rivetted.?? After all it wasn't built for high speed was it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That looks very nice, my resolve never to build another biplane is crumbling fast.

By the way, I do like the way the article picks holes in the box art!  Saves anyone on here from doing it  :)