Red Shield at Night, Brezhnev's Delight (1/72 Amodel Я́ковлев Як-28П)

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Proper Modelling™.

What's that?

Great bit of work on the rear of the engines , they look very nice.

Great thread so far, 

Sean

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Edited by sean
fat fingers
  • Like 2

Okay, chaps. Here are my jury-rigged intake bullets:

30261152862_3b8cab89bf_h.jpg20161016_232329 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Perhaps you might be about to point out that I have four flanges on them in a cruciform orientation, whereas the prototypical bullets have but three in a Y-shape. To this I say: stop speaking, immediately.

It turns out that after test-fitting a bunch with no problems, I've worn down the styrene and they now slide louchely through the tubing. Of course. However, a fallback presents itself: the remainder of the Mirage drop tanks:

30377597695_7198330015_h.jpg20161016_232423 by Edward IX, on Flickr

These can be made to fit adequately, if need be:

30261095252_160d4295b9_h.jpg20161016_232509 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Sanding down the wing roots and flaps proceeds apace:

30291436731_7dbe4d061f_h.jpg20161016_232541 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30080515910_6dd0f86105_h.jpg20161016_232549 by Edward IX, on Flickr

She's a filler queen

Lastly, Mrs P, with her "bords", as she calls them:

30291531611_f0359e9589_h.jpg20161016_112902 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I think she looks pretty cute. If I don't exercise more, people are going to think she married me for my money, which would be pretty depressing for her.

• Like 14

Nice birds :D

Mrs P looking very lovely too :)

Is the one on the left the one that used to sit on your shoulder? And now, for that perhaps, permanently incarcerated? 

Good job on the bullets too, I had no idea they were such complex shapes, I always imagined something like the business end of a bullet...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Is the one on the left the one that used to sit on your shoulder? And now, for that perhaps, permanently incarcerated? 

Yes, Beck, AKA sweet Beck, AKA Beckinridge B. Beckstein. He's currently locked up because he likes to poop on things, and we don't think most potential homebuyers view that as an added incentive to buy.

9 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Good job on the bullets too, I had no idea they were such complex shapes, I always imagined something like the business end of a bullet...

Well, my bullets may be complex, but they're not particularly close to the real ones in shape...the brass tubing really changes the intake dimensions, as Flankerman's photos show. In hindsight, there's nothing to stop you from filling the bejeezus out of the seems inside the nacelles and sanding them down with The Old Ways. The intake bullets in the kit are awful, though. Such a little thing, but they really have the potential to affect the look of the kit.

• Like 5

Good progress on the sanding PC and those bullets - you'll get there :)

Mrs PC and the birds are looking good too in the nice neat, clean walled room... hopefully you'll find a buyer soon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm indeed not too worried about that -- I'm going to use the AK EXTREME (imagine a Monster Truck Rally advert voice [NB the link is a parody, but only barely]) Metals recommended by Fr. @Blastvader in my prior thread. God help him if they fail me.

Howay...divn't drag me into this like.

• Like 2

Top modelling PC, the shock cones look great.

I keep meaning to remind you to check your Xtreme Metal (brought to us by the makers of Mountain Dew) before dropping any in your airbrush. Put a few drops on a surface you can examine and make sure there aren't any chunks in it - if so, DON'T PUT IT IN YOUR AIRBRUSH! You could spend your weekend frantically cleaning it out, like I just did. If it's good, it should just be runny and shimmer like quicksilver. They had quite a few duff bottles early on, and they're still out there it seems. The good stuff is incredible though, you may never go back to Alclad.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Brute force, and hobbit feet.

What's not to like in the early morning?

I've always considered myself to have the long, greyhound like feet of an aristocrat, thank you very much. And they're incredibly prehensile!

20 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I keep meaning to remind you to check your Xtreme Metal (brought to us by the makers of Mountain Dew) before dropping any in your airbrush. 

Top tip. I might drink XTREME!!! Metal before Mountain Dew; the lumpy bits would make it almost a malted.

Admirable intakes and swiftly developing outsides PC. That set of shapes is very easy to watch coming together. Lovely work.

Handsome shot of Mrs.P amidst the avians so too - les ouiseaux des iles...

• Like 2

30121851780_382f133382_h.jpg20161018_211042 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I managed to run four miles in 30 minutes (on the nose) today, with no pauses. Hopefully a feat I can repeat again tomorrow.

Still lots of sanding to go, of course:

30332551851_f2b5148d75_k.jpg20161018_210958 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30332549811_6e4da5e4bb_k.jpg20161018_211017 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I lost out on an ebay Amodel Tu-128 the other night, probably for the best -- I really need to invest in some new, good sanding sticks as it is.

The nacelle join is a tricky sand:

29788218034_a03dc5de0e_h.jpg20161018_211004 by Edward IX, on Flickr

There are some antenna and small scoops to add once I sort all of this, and then...primer! Probably a week more of sanding, though, no joke.

• Like 14

Well done on the run PC and I'm glad you're happier with your times (even if I don't understand!) :)

You're doing a great job on the filling and sanding, my least favourite bit. As you know, Micro-mesh has made this more bearable for me and it's worth a try IMHO - I think you'll like it (if you don't already).

• Like 3

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:09 PM, Max Headroom said:

I'm in for this one too! I think brushing a natural metal finish will be the least of your problems!

I have no doubt that you will make an excellent job of it.

Incidentally, this month's FlyPast has an article about one ditching into a lake in West Berlin during the early 60's and the shenanigans employed by the British and Soviets to retrieve it. 

Trevor

Aeroplane, man, Aeroplane... most definitely not FlyPast :)

Chris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, English Electric said:

Aeroplane, man, Aeroplane... most definitely not FlyPast :)

Chris

In my defence they are both Key Publishing stablemates these days!

4 miles in 30 minutes? Go PC:)

Trevor

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Well done on the run PC and I'm glad you're happier with your times (even if I don't understand!) :)

You're doing a great job on the filling and sanding, my least favourite bit. As you know, Micro-mesh has made this more bearable for me and it's worth a try IMHO - I think you'll like it (if you don't already).

Mrs P has lost a great deal of weight (relative to where she was coming out of the gate) since the start of the school year, because, like most teachers, she hates children and is thus under much stress. (I'm joking, of course. She hates their parents.) I'm starting to worry people will think we're going as Jabba the Hutt and dancing girl for Halloween. So running it is.

I love micromesh, but for me the noble sanding stick is much easier to use in situations like this.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

In my defence they are both Key Publishing stablemates these days!

4 miles in 30 minutes? Go PC:)

Trevor

This is very true... our Cold War is over. :wub: :grouphug:  Defence accepted. Case dismissed :)

Well done on the Yak to date PC - as a fellow A-Model battler you have my sympathies. Just repeat sand, and fill and sand and fill and swear and sand and fill etc etc

C

• Like 1

I'm comfortable with 'cuddly' at my age and I stopped worrying what other people think years ago; probably just as well! :)

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I love micromesh, but for me the noble sanding stick is much easier to use in situations like this.

Aha! So how about Micro-mesh sanding sticks? I have some sheets of MM, some double sided tape and some stiff but bendy stick stuff (I think it's terylene?) and so I can not only make my own shapes but also re-cover the ones I've bought (tear off the old surface first, of course). Simples!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

I managed to run four miles in 30 minutes (on the nose) today, with no pauses. Hopefully a feat I can repeat again tomorrow.

knew it was you:

• Like 2

4 miles in 30 minutes is 7 1/2 minutes per mile or 1.5 miles in 11 mins 15 secs

Keep it up PC - atm you'd not pass the RAF 1. 5 mile aerobics run standard (which is 10 mins 30 secs) but you're getting close.

(At your age I could do it in sub 8 mins 20 secs.  ;) )

• Like 2

On 16/10/2016 at 0:51 PM, Ascoteer said:

I'm more yer Beatrix Kiddo...

Is that a bit like Beatrix Potter but slightly different(I think I'm going to be called "a wee skeevit"again shortly.....)?

Keep it up PC it's all very worth it.

I used to be a skinny 10 stone(not too sure what that is in U.S speak)motorcrosser 30 years ago.

Over the intervening years,I crept up to nearly 14 stone(I'm only 5'7",so a bit of a short ar*e).

Three and a half years ago,Mrs M set about my weight with a vengeance and amended one's diet,

Oh Lord how my tummy rumbled,no chocolates,no cakes,no biscuits,just sensible low fat food and

off to the gym(it's rather posh,so it could be a James)with my son and daughter.

Within 6 months,I was back down to 10 and a half stone,I quit smoking(though one does vape)and could have once

again had some serious fun on a motorcrosser,had one still owned one.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Miggers said:

I used to be a skinny 10 stone(not too sure what that is in U.S speak)

A stone is 14 pounds (pre-decimalization). Presently I'm fourteen stone and used to be a little less than twelve stone. That's a lot to put on! At my physical peak, I could do four miles in 27 minutes...good times.