Airfix/DB Productions AW Whitley Mk III

Stand by your beds..I've decided to post something just to prove that rumours of my demise have been greatly misrepresented by the popular press and Social Services. I thought I would assail you with one of my builds for our Bomber Command display at Telford in the form of the AW Whitley Mk III using a mix of the newish Airfix Mk V and an old DB Productions Tiger conversion set that Geoff Trenholme kindly gave me a while back. Although it's designed for the ancient Frog offering it fits well on the nice shiny Airfix kit too with a bit of fettling. The most obvious difference between the early Whitleys, (Mk's I,II and III) and the later marks were the AW Tiger radial engines and larger rounded tail fin and rudders, though the Mk IV had Merlins and the rounded tail fins to confuse matters however there were a number of other subtle changes including a ring DF aerial later changed to a bullet shaped casing, nose turret changed from the manually powered AW unit to the FN16 , the bulbous single gun A W rear turret later changed to the four gun FN4a,  an FN17 ventral 'dustbin' turret, (not successful and often removed to save weight), deletion of small observation windows in the nose, triple windows above the FN17 circular hatch reduced to two later, the addition of a 'chin' bomb aimers glazing section, (Mk III on).

References were many and various including the excellent Warpaint 21 by Ken Wixey and plans and the old Profile publications booklet. I always liked the looks of the early versions so thought it was about time to add one to our table.

The Airfix kit has been around a while now, (this is my third one) so all it's little foibles well known to me. The DB set, now available from Flightpath UK included some very nicely moulded resin Tiger engines with integral engine facings, rear turret extension, (needs modifying), resin tail fins, (superb), new exhausts and carburetter intakes, (good), wing oil coolers (excellent), new white metal props (excellent) and clear acetate rear turret, (totally useless) and new replacement flat bomb aimers glazing position (irrelevant for Mk III).

DSC_4268_zpsurmijxnx.jpg

This is the airframe I'm going to have at, (take little notice of the drawing it has detail issues as ever, it's the aircraft  serials I'm more interested in).

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/553/pics/9_37.jpg

Obligatory sets obtained through nefarious acts included the Eduard PE cockpit and essential masking sets.

DSC_0330_zpsqlrlpoxf.jpg

DSC_0344_zpshbd5apel.jpg

Decal sets to be used, excuse the butchered Airfix set and Kits at War grey serials....

DSC_4246_zpsgwcj8hli.jpg

And Fantasy Printshop 8'' black serials

img152_zpsl6cll0nl.jpg

And finally a new AW turret borrowed from an AZ Oxford Mk I which fits perfectly and is a huge improvement over the awful kit part.

DSC_0065_zpsbzntrxby.jpg

So I shall begin, I need to finish one this a bit sharpish..... shouldn't take too long...:whistle:

And he's off...straight into the fuselage parts, no big problems here.

DSC_0329_zpscjbyad0i.jpg

I really like the Mr Cement C stuff, easy to use and very quick drying...just don't get any on your model via careless hands it's as thin as water and travels a long way, ask me how I know, (not on this one, so far !).....

Also some Xtracrylix Interior Aircraft Grey/Green has been applied.

DSC_0347-001_zpsln0dmuie.jpg

More soon...:cheers:

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 16

Nice to see that you are no longer AWOL General!

I have been plugging away at the Fly Mk.III on and off for a year or so and It will be interesting to see how your experience compares to mine.

Martian

• Like 1

B*gger good job I kept the receipt for the Sympathy card I bought, and I can always tell the current Mrs Jockney the florist made a mistake with the wording on the flowers.......

Anyway nice to see you back with us :P

cheers Pat  

• Like 4

Thanks men, if you should ever falter I've never been but a few miles behind you etc,

Martin, now that I have yet again made myself available for unutterable ribaldry I shall do my best to finish the blighter. I've heard mixed mutterings about the Fly kit, looks OK from the ones I've seen but this blighter to be an equal amount of fun...

Pat, thanks but you'd better hang onto the card, might need it later.....All florists are to be treated with suspicion and derision as most seem to be fifth columnists at heart...and you can pass that on to the current incumbent Mrs J too.

• Like 2

Sah! Request permission to join the spectators, Sah!

Is there a sepsrate section for officers, Sah?

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 4

Thanks fellas, like a good little cub scout I'll do my best...Ced, more than welcome provided you've bought the Christmas hamper with a single malt and tuna sandwiches..

Crisp, 'Hurrah', 'Tally-ho, yippety-dip and a zing zang, spillip' and a stirling rendition of 'Row, row, row your boat almost compulsory old chap....

Sten, sorry, but all ranks must share the latrines in this mans army...(great to catch up with you at the Gothenberg show btw, hopefully you can get over to SMW at some point)...

Well typical, I'm leaving the dug out for a few days, down South where friends have a small chateau just outside Manston, I think a little visit to the museum may be in order, Darling call me a cab !

Just to keep you going for five minutes, I cut the Merlins orf ready to graft on the Tigers, the fit is almost perfect, length against plans spot on, the contours will need a bit of adjustment but other than that it looks promising,

DSC_0397_zpszln4duym.jpg

DSC_0398_zpsxycgxsjz.jpg

Another installment next week...

• Like 11

50 minutes ago, general melchett said:

, Darling call me a cab !

You're a cab General! :coat:

Martian

(Sorry but you asked for that!)

• Like 2

Cheers Neil, well so far this one all fits together nicely with the exception of the rear turret glazing which is totally inaccurate and only fit for the bin. It'll be interesting to see what Glen comes up with. To be fair the one piece resin engine sets in the DB/FP sets are beautifully done and more than adequate as are the tail fins. Hopefully this one will be done in time but not so sure about the other three......Darling better fetch my skates .

• Like 1

Martian mate, I just knowed he'd be expecting it so I tried a dose of the old 'Masterful Restraint'

Worked a treat. ;)

Darling did give me a kick on the ankle though, just in case I succumbed

Thank you Darling, I'll let you off the others you owe me for that timely intervention

Anyway, to matters of the present

This looks to be another treat yer 'orror. (Oops did I mean 'horror? A course not I meant Honour yer sirship)

Looks rather good already sir

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Ah, here they come, thick and fast !  Billiam I just knew you'd know that I'd know that you knew....so I'm going to have to have words with 'ankle snapper' Darling, obviously he needs to adjust his aim.

I say steady on I know the Whitley was no looker but horror may be pushing it a bit...oh I see what you mean....ta ever so.

Crusty, I had a lovely kip thanks, until Darling 'accidently' dropped a field mouse into my moustache hammock whilst snuffing out my night light.....sorry to hear that your plate's are giving you gip again, however tucking your backside into your steel wool pants won't fool anyone....now kindly hop back to the dug out !

Edited by general melchett

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Martian mate, I just knowed he'd be expecting it so I tried a dose of the old 'Masterful Restraint'

Restraint? What's restraint?

Martian

• Like 1

I'm sorry Bill, slip of the knife there, nothing wrong with the slow lane....Memsahib regularly makes sport of holding up traffic on the southbound A1, keeps muttering something about catching monkeys or some such nonsense....

Baron...salute received and returned, I see things have turned messy however normal service will be resumed as soon as I return from the Kentish hinterland and regain access to Photobucket...(jellied eels not withstanding of course). In the meantime please feel free to amuse yourselves..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Throwing a smart salute in your direction General in anticipation of you restoring discipline to this thread :lol:

Fat chance of that happening!

Martian

• Like 2

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

I see things have turned messy however normal service will be resumed as soon as I return from the Kentish hinterland and regain access to Photobucket...(jellied eels not withstanding of course).

Wishing you a safe return from Frank Muir country General. I'm just going to see what Martin's doing over there in the corner with that piano and a box of matches...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Restraint? What's restraint?

Martian

Thank goodness you didn't ask what's a restraint, things could've headed off in entirely the wrong direction. :D General hope you don't mind if I eavesdrop on this from time to time, strictly from the door of the dugout, mind, all the chairs seems to be occupied by red  tabs & dancing girls. ;)

Steve.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, general melchett said:

Ah, here they come, thick and fast !  Billiam I just knew you'd know that I'd know that you knew....so I'm going to have to have words with 'ankle snapper' Darling, obviously he needs to adjust his aim.

I say steady on I know the Whitley was no looker but horror may be pushing it a bit...oh I see what you mean....ta ever so.

Crusty, I had a lovely kip thanks, until Darling 'accidently' dropped a field mouse into my moustache hammock whilst snuffing out my night light.....sorry to hear that your plate's are giving you gip again, however tucking your backside into your steel wool pants won't fool anyone....now kindly hop back to the dug out !

Ah yes the old faithful steel wool pants,my only boyhood pals and i most certainly wouldn't want to face a Hun machine gun without them! What an unfortunate incident with the mouse Sah hope your tache didn't scare it too much?!🐭

• Like 2