1/48 F/A-18E VFA-31, 2017 - Update 20/4.

DaveJL

Hello all,

Having been bitten by the Hornet bug (no pun intended) i'm going to crack on with a build I started briefly for a Group Build a year or so ago - 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18E in the markings of VFA-31 'Tomcatters.' The squadron seen action over the skies of Iraq and Syria in 2014 and has just deployed in February 2017, so that's the time period i'll be going for.

IMG_1685_zpsefhezflg.jpg

IMG_1686_zpsrcj4kvhc.jpg

IMG_1687_zps6ypdtuzu.jpg

Will be using Fightertown decals, Steel Beach FOD covers, Wolfpack cockpit and Steel Beach ECS pipes. 

Dave

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tim T said:

Looking forward to this one.  Where do you get the Steel Beach and Wolfpack AM from?

Cheers. I use Spruebrothers for most aftermarket stuff that isn't readily available in the UK.

This one has been sitting at the side of the bench so I aim to get this started soon.

My original plan of doing the Hi-viz 'CAG' jet has now changed since i've been able to get my hands on some 'low viz' markings. I've also just found out that the squadron has deployed this month for a further cruise for 'Inherent Resolve' so i'll maybe use a bit of poetic licence to mark this one.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Bendinggrass said:

Eagerly awaiting more.

Will hopefully have some progress by the end of the month...

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Felix rules!

:)

True, but not as much as the F-14 :lol:

19 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

True, but not as much as the F-14 :lol:

Hard to top the Tomcat with a Tomcat painted on....

The Bug should have at least been the 2seater.... 

Has there ever been a black nosed SH?

Finally made a start on this one. Cockpit built up and painted:

IMG_2848_zpszwckoy6a.jpg

Fitted to fuselage (note the ECS pipes have been attached):

IMG_2849_zpsztgu9gcv.jpg

Wings, tail fins and pylons built up:

IMG_2850_zps67rhj7db.jpg

As for ordnance, i've been to-ing and fro-ing. I had a good look on navy.mil (great for reference pictures). There are a few pictures from the current cruise showing the F/A-18E/Fs loaded with 6 x GBU-32s or 4 x GBU-31s. As I don't have any of the former, and to fit 6 would cost about £25 in aftermarket, i'm plumping for the 4 x GBU-31s. As seen in the below picture (you can just make out the 4 JDAMs under the wings of the VFA-213 jet:

170213-N-MU198-097.JPG

Better shot:

170213-N-YL257-027.JPG

Both images from Navy.mil.

So here's the ordnance. I'll dig out another GBU-31, these 3 are from an Academy F-15E (the best detailed JDAMS in my opinion) the AIM-9x, targeting pod and fuel tank are from the kit:

IMG_2851_zpsbscsf3wc.jpg

Finally for now, the fuselage closed up:

IMG_2852_zpsipkppofq.jpg

The nose area does need a good bit of persuasion  especially if an aftermarket cockpit is fitted. As stated in an earlier post, I'm going for a low viz jet. I was kindly donated some decals from Afterburners' VFA-31 sheet from a member over on ARC.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

More done over the last few days and the model is just about ready for the painting process. Just need to mask off the cockpit and wheel wells then give some areas a final wet 'n dry.

IMG_3083_zps58tzuhus.jpg

IMG_3084_zpswulqyyuy.jpg

IMG_3085_zpssvuplbq8.jpg

As with all Hasegawa Super Hornets in this scale, the join of the LEX and forward fuselage is not the best and requires some work. The black lines are permanent marker - i sometimes use this to determine if a join is smooth after some filling. Also, the boarding ladder cover requires a lot of thinning to sit flush.

Photo from navy.mil showing a heavily weathered VFA-31 jet just last month:

170404-N-YL257-169.JPG

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

Some progress over the weekend. Airframe painted, glossed, decal-ed and sealed with a top coat of gloss, ready for a panel line wash:

IMG_3120_zps976aiogj.jpg

IMG_3121_zpsbhztnos4.jpg

IMG_3122_zpsbhrnesly.jpg

Tail fins and fuel tank:

IMG_3119_zpsyt0fsz7n.jpg

Still a good bit to do, but next up will be the panel line wash followed by the painting of some of the details.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

More done. Wash on:

IMG_3124_zpsmmhpfnjq.jpg

IMG_3125_zpsojdbdo1b.jpg

Left for about 30 minutes then the excess cleaned off. Once that was done, I added some drops with a touch of varnish to give the blotchy look seen so often on USN jets. Once dry, I added the fuel tank, arrestor hook, fins and AIM-9x:

IMG_3130_zpsyewocoso.jpgIMG_3127_zpsuei8ftev.jpg

IMG_3128_zpsnbb9gtes.jpg

IMG_3129_zpss7fjmhzb.jpg

Starting to come together nicely. Next up is the landing gear.

Dave

• Like 2