Airfix 1/48 Spit 22/24 What detail sets are available

Scimitar F1

Airwaves do some etch.

true details do a resin cockpit and Aires have various sets available including an engine and cockpit.

there are other detail sets available as well.

Regards,

Mark

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Cooper Details (Roy Sutherland/Barracuda) did a full resin cockpit set and a control surface set for this kit

Roy's Barracuda still does a number of very useful items for the Airfix 22/24:

BR48024           Griffon Spitfire Rocker Cover Fairings

BR48025           Mk. 22/24 Carburetor Intake

BR48026           Griffon Spitfire 5 Blade Prop- Late

BR48027           Spitfire 22, Seafire 47 Control Surfaces (mainly for pose-able elevators)

BR48097           Spitfire 3 Slot Wheels

Web page: http://barracudacals.com/products.php?cat=14

I didn't use their carb intake when I did mine, but did use the other four items.

I second the recommendation for the Squadron clear vac canopy. The kit windscreen is okay, but the vac sliding section is a lot better.

Dunno if you're looking for decals, but Xtradecal has a nice set: X48091.

Edited by Seawinder

The Barracuda prop, and sliding canopy sections cut from the Squadron / Falcon vac-form moulding are the must-haves as far as I'm concerned.  Rocker cover fairings would be my next priority if budget allows. The original kit decals were rather thick (though I used them), they conformed nicely to panel lines and curves, but you can see the thickness at the edges, even after a few coats of satin varnish and some flatting back with superfine wet & dry between coat. Nowadays I would go for aftermarket decals.

Yep, got it around somewhere. 48-279 Spitfires - End of the Line.  There was also a Hong Kong based Spitfire 24 on 48-527 Late Far East Spitfires - Part 1. Also there was at least one Eagle Strike sheet.

About time someone like Barracuda did a new set of decals for the Airfix Spit 22/23 and Seafire 46/47 kits, they would be a steady seller now that everything else seems to be long OOP.

Edited to say I'd forgotten there is a current Xtradecal sheet https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48091

Edited by Work In Progress

I have the True Details cockpit set and while it's nice, it's not IMHO to the same level of what Aires produces. It also completely lacks any seat belt so these have to come from somewhere else.

Quickboost also has a few bits, like gun fairings for both the 22 and 24 and a replacement upper cowling. They may also have exhausts but haven't checked

5 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Edited to say I'd forgotten there is a current Xtradecal sheet https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48091

Yes, I referred to it by stock number several posts above. I've got both it and the Aeromaster sheet; the Xtradecals product is better IMHO.

Also, Cutting Edge used to do a very comprehensive cockpit set, one of which I had and used on my Mk. 24 build. It's probably difficult-to-impossible to find now, but it was quite good.

There is really quite a lot of decals. I recall:

Aeromaster 48-091 Spitfire F 22

AeroMaster Decals 48-297 Spitfires: End of the Line

Eagle Strike Productions 48160 The Last of the Legend: Late Spitfires Part I

Eagle Strike Productions 48211 End of the Line Mk.22/24 Pt. II

Eagle Strike Productions 48212 End of the Line Mk.22/24 Pt. III

Eagle Strike Productions 48241 End of the Line Mk.22/24 Pt. IV

Eduard 1121 Spitfire F. 22 & 24

Kits at War K4/7 Spitfire Special: Seafire LIII, Seafire Mk.47, Mk.IX,

Mk.22, Mk.XII, Mk.XIV, HF Mk.IX

Mark I Guide Spitfire F Mk.22/24 (booklet + decals for 15 aircrafts)

Xtradecal

Edited by NPL

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2016 at 6:11 PM, Scimitar F1 said:

Hi 

Looking to crack into this as a hotel room build. I had a look at Eduard and was surprised that no cockpit etch set was available. 

What aftermarket sets are available for this beast?

Will

I have the Cutting Edge Cockpit set produced for this kit and I have to say is pretty damn accurate. Unlikely to use it as I have a Grand Phoenix FR47 waiting. If interested please PM me.

Edited by Whitewolf