de Havilland Cirrus Moth G-EBLV

CarLos

I am planning a quick build [read: less than a month!] of the Amodel kit, and the only option is G-EBLV as preserved by the Shuttleworth Trust.  According to the Wikipedia it  had the Lancashire Aero Club as first owner. I wonder if in the same blue and silver livery? And the interior, light grey and wood, as suggested by the instructions?

Another option (may be not so colourful, but more interesting historically) is Lady Bailys's G-EBTG, but this poses the problem (for a quick build!) of the exposed engine. Anyway, is it all silver with black registration? 

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/the-honorable-dame-mary-bailey-cbe/

Cigarette-card-de-Havilland-DH.60X-Cirru

Any help on the above, or suggestions of other historical and colourful options that I can do with my printer (that excludes white registrations...) or with available decals very appreciated! I have all the Amodel boxes with extra parts (different fuselages, slatted wings, different props, etc) so I'm not confined to a Cirrus Moth. 

Carlos

Edited by CarLos
Insert image

Hi, I made the 72nd Amodel kit of GEBLV soon after it was released and seem to remember that the original Lancashire club aircraft was in the blue livery similar to the shuttleworth aircraft now. I suspect the above photo was taken a bit later in its career. LV was a very early moth and I think the colour style shown above was standardised for Moths a bit later in the 1920's. Will check my references. Cheers, paul

Hi, have found a photo in Stuart McKay's book on the Moth of

G-EBLV shortly after delivery to the Lancashire Aero Club

in August 1925. The fuselage is a single colour with the moth

logo in the usual place, no other titling visible. Seems that

BLV in its current form at Old Warden  has an identical

scheme, or as near as poss.

Cheers, Paul

• 3 months later...

Paul

I have been doing some research lately that has me puzzling about the ' colour style shown above was standardised for Moths a bit later in the 1920's '.

I was wondering if you have any more information on the 'De Havilland'  colour style that was introduced around late 1927. It was more or less as shown in CarLos' photo of G-EVBL and seems to have been applied not only the the Moths but also quite a number of other DH civil types during the late 1920s.

I gather the client could selt a range of colours including Blue, Green, Black, red (or maroon).

In particular I am wondering if there was a particular colour that DH used on their own aircraft, such as G-AAAA, or the first and second production DH 61s.

Juanita

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a Cirrus Moth in a colourful scheme; VH-UAU in the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney. the colour scheme comes from the Tasmanian Aero Club, who operated it in the 1930s. This aircraft was delivered as a float plane trainer for the RAAF.

VH-UAU_zpscqzm8sn0.jpg

• Like 1