Airfix 1:72 Messerschmitt 110

Lapin

My first WiP on here although I've had a few previous disasters which aren't worth mentioning.

i'm about half way through with this and changed the paint scheme after seeing how difficult the shark mouth decal was to apply when CedB had to complete it by hand and hairy stick!

i'm not that good or brave and, as the dustbin is rapidly filling up with embarrassing styrene, I chose the easy (easier) option.

anyway, here goes:

IMG_9607_zpslab9vomg.jpg

IMG_9614_zps9hv5iu8x.jpg

IMG_9621_zpsjzfe5ej2.jpg

IMG_9612_zpslfev3nx4.jpg

IMG_9623_zpst3wedilx.jpg

IMG_9610_zpsghswnrjb.jpg

IMG_9627_zps6qipcmwp.jpg

IMG_9610_zpsghswnrjb.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

Edited by Lapin
Can't get the pictures to upload
  • Like 7

The little tins of Humbrol from Hobbycraft. The masking tape was from B&Q. Frog low tack I think it's called.

there are some paint runs into the panel lines where I tried to touch it up after I discovered that I hadn't put down enough paint. The worst bit is alongside the starboard fuselage adjacent the yellow band.

these pictures can be a pain to upload at times... I have to reinvent the wheel every time I want to do this...

I shall check later.

Patience and perseverance should do it!

JR

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jean said:

these pictures can be a pain to upload at times... I have to reinvent the wheel every time I want to do this...

I shall check later.

Patience and perseverance should do it!

JR

All done now!

It took me blooming ages though. :blush: :drink:

26 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

From what you have shown us so far, I can't see that you have much to worry about. :post1:

Martian

Hi Martin. Wait till I uncover the cockpit masking tape. It looks as though someone has cleaned their chimney in it! So much for a little black wash. The wheel wells are slightly better but not much.

i have much to learn.

your Starfighter's looking good by the way. B)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good there. Isn't yellow a horrible colour to work with though? Yeeccch! :)

Steve.

Your'e dead right there Steve. One of my earlier attempts on a 109 looked awful. This time I used white primer and it now looks a bit too bright but it's a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lapin said:

Hi Martin. Wait till I uncover the cockpit masking tape. It looks as though someone has cleaned their chimney in it! So much for a little black wash. The wheel wells are slightly better but not much.

i have much to learn.

your Starfighter's looking good by the way. B)

If the marks on the transparencies are on the outside or if they are not glued into place, its pretty easy to remove any unwanted marks by rubbing them away with the sharp end of a cocktail stick. The wash in the wheel wells can be manipulated with a brush dipped in the appropriate thinner for the medium you have been using.

Thanks for the kind comments on the Starfighter. Despite my grumping at Hasegawa, I have been enjoying iy.

Martian

On 06/10/2016 at 2:50 PM, Lapin said:

The little tins of Humbrol from Hobbycraft. The masking tape was from B&Q. Frog low tack I think it's called.

there are some paint runs into the panel lines where I tried to touch it up after I discovered that I hadn't put down enough paint. The worst bit is alongside the starboard fuselage adjacent the yellow band.

I didn't know Hobbycraft did Humbrol Acrylics. I've been limited to Tamiya colours because that's all my local model shop stocks and there is so much mixing involved to get RAF, Luftwaffe... well just about anything really! What did you thin them with? Looking great by the way :)

1 hour ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

I didn't know Hobbycraft did Humbrol Acrylics. I've been limited to Tamiya colours because that's all my local model shop stocks and there is so much mixing involved to get RAF, Luftwaffe... well just about anything really! What did you thin them with? Looking great by the way :)

Hi Vic,

The paints I have used are all Humbrol Enamels rather than acrylics. They are what I used when I stopped model making about 35 years ago. But Hobbycraft stock all the acrylic too. They have the Revell and Tamiya range as well as all the thinners, mask oil and weathering powders etc.

Smiths in Brum also has a concession for Model Zone which also stocks them so maybe they have a similar arrangement where you are.

The enamels were thinned with turpentine substitute from B&Q.

Thanks for the encouragement by the way; it's by far the best effort by a country mile so far. :)

29 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm clearly in good company with this kit.....They're all the rage right now.  ;)

Beautifully neat work!  :thumbsup:

Cheers Sar'nt :).

I've always liked the look of the 110. I think it's symmetry and proportions are pretty much perfect. I hope I can do it justice.

your Iraq version is looking good and I particularly like your idea of using a lighter colour wash on the darker parts. I have bought a few Humbrol washes so I'll try and replicate that when (if I don't cock it up before then) I get to that bit.

in the meantime I have approx. 100 daffodil bulbs to install, a greenhouse to clear of tomatoes, cucumbers and aubergine plants flowed by a cleaning out of the chickens! :unsure:.

Still, onwards and upwards eh? :thumbsup:

Edited by Lapin