Walking with Dinosaurs - 7 Brachiosaurs (Tamiya 1/35 Prehistoric Diorama Sets)

Hello Brachio herd followers

Brachio 1 (Dave) is now complete except the eyes which will be done when I have all 6 at that stage. Here he is - and I am very pleased with him. Brachio male man number 2 is already on the bench headed through the same process in manly male colours but in slightly different shades of grey and blue - I may possibly do a 3rd male however there will be at least 3 females in the herd (Tower - like a bunch of giraffes are called I guess) acting as childminders to the 5 baby Brachios.

The base colours

DSCF6369_zpsmgpyf57b.jpg

neck decoration started

DSCF6384_zpsh7nckewb.jpg

DSCF6385_zpsatrm4x6v.jpg

DSCF6386_zpswacw5zua.jpg

DSCF6389_zpsevnhnx2m.jpg

first Flory coat

DSCF6390_zps7it9x4rg.jpg

DSCF6391_zpsjfi8opg8.jpg

completed minus the eyes

DSCF6406_zps6f3i44x4.jpg

DSCF6407_zps7ialedpc.jpg

DSCF6408_zpsuv6j409r.jpg

DSCF6409_zpspdasb4ps.jpg

DSCF6410_zps9nlm8z4d.jpg

DSCF6411_zpsegaii0z0.jpg

DSCF6413_zpsivijnbpm.jpg

DSCF6414_zpsgqsvnrvt.jpg

DSCF6415_zpss97swira.jpg

• Like 4

And here is Brachio man male number 2 started - its a bit bright with masked neat lines at the moment but that will all change once the brush work and Flory washes get done

DSCF6399_zpsr6olxe3u.jpg

DSCF6400_zpshtssrtye.jpg

DSCF6401_zpscyacbidl.jpg

Thanks for following the leaders of the Herd (Tower)

John

• Like 2

so, still ambling along night by night here - Brachio 2 is closing in on the nicer bits when the Flory comes out and all of a sudden, the model springs to life.

DSCF6422_zpsglueiglp.jpg

eye balls will be done last

DSCF6424_zpsjb5j48hc.jpg

DSCF6425_zpszko8fwqy.jpg

DSCF6426_zpshavtf2iy.jpg

DSCF6431_zpssyp10niu.jpg

DSCF6434_zpsuvztm4qa.jpg

in the background is one of my 5 monstrous Horizon Models 3 foot tall Jurassic Park Brachiosaurs modelled by Stan Winston from the original film waiting for a coat of paint

DSCF6435_zpsisyvioh0.jpg

bye for now - John

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Brachio 2 and 3 done (the reaching pose) with Brachio 4 on its way now

DSCF6437_zps69cfcofm.jpg

DSCF6438_zpst0txhnpz.jpg

DSCF6439_zpsdu10ig25.jpg

DSCF6440_zps22jh0sgf.jpg

Brachio 3 - on hind standing up reaching pose

DSCF6444_zpsahvbyrie.jpg

DSCF6445_zps15ivvqcu.jpg

DSCF6448_zpsaa0xb7tu.jpg

DSCF6449_zps69qput4t.jpg

DSCF6457_zpsfbep20yv.jpg

DSCF6458_zpsqcxuat2r.jpg

DSCF6460_zpstykxh4ut.jpg

Brachio 4 now started

DSCF6454_zpsj5ovv2j0.jpg

DSCF6461_zpsr3m9trlj.jpg

DSCF6463_zps7ppzmqco.jpg

DSCF6465_zpswpsrdm1m.jpg

DSCF6466_zpsubcvieib.jpg

DSCF6467_zps2sndhcfm.jpg

DSCF6468_zpsgap52b1s.jpg

DSCF6469_zps9w9xt6ge.jpg

DSCF6470_zpsxicatmv4.jpg

DSCF6471_zps9zwmdudd.jpg

DSCF6472_zpsuydiqilb.jpg

thanks for following - only 3 more unstarted

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've pretty much nearly done the 6 Brachios that will have all their bodies on display so last night I quickly assembled Brachie number 7 who will be stood belly deep in the diorama pool.

I'm moving out of Hampshire early March and have a new Man Cave being built for my hobby over Buckinghamshire - I'm going to leave the diorama build until I have myself settled into my new Cave so the next 8 weeks will be spent focussed on finishing the Brachios and that pair of T-Rexs leaving the more creative plaster, timber and resin work until I have my Cave and running water to do the job properly in.

The finished Diorama will have a pond in it - so my Pond wader is now cut up and ready to go into painting stages, in the background is one of the other 6 Brachiosaurs half painted 

DSCF6500_zpshadbuzj8.jpg

DSCF6502_zpsvhapapr8.jpg

DSCF6504_zpsqsqv7y6l.jpg

Brachio 5 half painted

DSCF6474_zpsflddvyng.jpg

Brachio 6 half painted

DSCF6499_zps5ibwqggb.jpg

Brachios 1 - 4 almost completed minus some eye detailing and sticky mud that will be added to their feet once ready to go on the diorama - these next few photos show the variations I have made to the necks and legs etc. I'm trying to convince myself they are not all exactly the same kit and have found it hard to produce 4 different paint designs that are close enough to make the species all look the same without their body colours being too diverse - I don't want them looking like a crowd of radical multi coloured hippies....

DSCF6508_zps0dlxhze7.jpg

DSCF6509_zpszea9p3t3.jpg

DSCF6510_zps6m2wei8g.jpg

John

:dinosaur:

• Like 2

So I have been moaning to my lady for months now about how hard I am finding it to paint dinosaurs and make them seem real. I was fairly happy with the Triceratops duo I made last year and a bit happy with the pair of T-Rex's I am about to finish as a diorama but these 7 Brachios are beginning to get me down.

My girlfriend was looking at them the other day and suggested I stick to basic body colours with only minor shade differences as she was correct to remind me that I am modelling a herd as opposed to a single model that I could probably have got away with using a fancy colour scheme on.

So with the exception of the version standing on its rear legs, all other 6 Brachios will be repainted in subtle matching colours. Thankfully, I restocked up on my Alchad II stash a fortnight back which will make the job easy and fast

watch this space - hopefully the 6 due for repaint will look like Mrs P's

John

• Like 2

Hi John,

I'm just about to post my final photos for the Brachio dio. so you'll be able to see how she and baby ended up- yours should look great anyway you do them.- :worthy: It's a bit of a shame tho' because I love your imaginative use of colours, makes them so individual...:)

• Like 1

well I spent a few hours last night working on 5 Brachios bringing them all forward to closer shades of blue-ish greys. I think one of the Alchad II bottles was called 'non-intermediate RAF blue" which produces a magical colour

they are drying off still as it is chemical based as opposed to water based paint.

I know I have done the right thing and checking up on Mrs P's Brachio's, I now know I need to leave these monsters in a matt varnish as opposed to the Klear finish I have used before.

pictures to follow Friday once I've been home and picked up the memory stick out of my camera

John :dinosaur:

• Like 1

well I spent a few hours last night working on 5 Brachios bringing them all forward to closer shades of blue-ish greys. I think one of the Alchad II bottles was called 'non-intermediate RAF blue" which produces a magical colour

they are drying off still as it is chemical based as opposed to water based paint.

I know I have done the right thing and checking up on Mrs P's Brachio's, I now know I need to leave these monsters in a matt varnish as opposed to the Klear finish I have used before.

pictures to follow Friday once I've been home and picked up the memory stick out of my camera

here are some mid-repaint work mobile snaps - Ill get the latest off my camera tonight as I added some body tones last night and forgot to picture them

received_102118069440381351_zpsq5rjvcqf.

received_102118069471982141_zpsh4brgict.

received_102118069492782661_zpswcfykkm2.

received_102118069549984091_zpscjohfmvv.

• Like 2

Looking at this thread (and others on here) I can see why Dinosaurs are addictive.

My attempt at a T-rex build started out as a bit of fun to get me out of the doldrums but you guys and guyesses here have sparked a new interest.

I will continue to unashamedly borrow ideas from here,particularly about making the eyes look real.

Richard

• Like 2

an hour working on the repainting and the water wader last night - getting closer to the finer details, toes, eyes, muddy feet etc. I'm feeling far more positive about this herd now that they all have a bit more uniformity

DSCF6516_zps9zhum6oa.jpg

DSCF6515_zpsu34djv82.jpg

DSCF6514_zpsxwthgjq6.jpg

DSCF6513_zpsmlccwxno.jpg

DSCF6512_zpsihhlddrx.jpg

DSCF6511_zpsdxlhpypm.jpg

Thanks for following the herd ....

John

• Like 3

an hour working on the repainting and the water wader last night - getting closer to the finer details, toes, eyes, muddy feet etc. I'm feeling far more positive about this herd now that they all have a bit more uniformity

DSCF6516_zps9zhum6oa.jpg

DSCF6515_zpsu34djv82.jpg

DSCF6514_zpsxwthgjq6.jpg

DSCF6513_zpsmlccwxno.jpg

DSCF6512_zpsihhlddrx.jpg

DSCF6511_zpsdxlhpypm.jpg

Thanks for following the herd ....

John

• Like 1

HOUSE MOVE NOW AFFECTING PRODUCTION LINE

I'm in the process of moving house. I've almost finished my new Man Cave in Helen's garden in readiness for my Feb 25th move over to Iver, Bucks.

As a result, the production line will very soon come to a halt as I have to start to pack up large parts of my hobby spare room this week so its all going to slow down a bit for a few weeks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I never knew you lived in the Natural History Museum.:)

All the best with the move and hope the beasties are not too stressed by it.

Richard

Cheers Richard

I packed up the model room last night except for the 4 Brachios that needed a coat of Flory to bring up their skin textures. I wiped it off this morning before work and here is the last update from the dino laboratory in Hampshire before I get myself set-up in Buckinghamshire in a few weeks time. I have an electrician booked to light and wire up my new mancave next week, so as soon as I have my oil filled radiator up and running, I'll feel confident to move all my paints and chemicals into my new man cave and pretend that I need to spend more time at Helen's house in Bucks before I leave Hamps in March - in other words, to spend time in my new cave ! Its only taken me 3 months to get the cave build, insulated, lined and snagged so I'm almost there now with both the hosue move, model space move and completion of the 7 Brachios diorama

DSCF6525_zpsjjzycpp1.jpg

DSCF6523_zps2xevq19h.jpg

DSCF6522_zpsgodnsu3n.jpg

DSCF6521_zpsx5c3in9v.jpg

DSCF6519_zpsecp1gppk.jpg

DSCF6518_zpsbtlsrowr.jpg

Brachios 1, 2, and 3 have been packed up, ready for their new place of love and attention (new Man cave below), minus shelves and the white paint I need to do tomorrow to make it nice and bright under the new strip lighting

20170116_103854_zpsm3r9lgee.jpg

20170116_103859_zpsnjqtb59c.jpg

20170116_103906_zpsn6xd6yam.jpg

20170116_103908_zpskrfyeyen.jpg

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

John..how could you?

Where's the carpet monster?

Hampshire modellers be on the alert for a homeless monster.

Richard

why here lies the carpet monster Richard - safe guardian of my Airfix catalogue and fully trained to defend all modelling zones, be they Berks, Buck or Hampshire !

1185066_10201933499928203_1930745207_n_z

• Like 2