Walking with Dinosaurs - 7 Brachiosaurs (Tamiya 1/35 Prehistoric Diorama Sets)

Edit 11-10-2017 - 6 Brachio's now, not 4 - I decided to add a few more which will be wading in the pool. - John

My modelling desk is presently full of Dinosaurs from the Tamiya Prehistoric Diorama ranges. Along with the 2 T-Rex diorama sets I have on the go, I've now also started building a new diorama that will incorporate 6 of the Tamiya 1/35 Brachiosaurus educational diorama sets - I'm going to call it "Walking with Dinosaurs" displayed as a herd of Brachios and their infants trailing along the Jurassic plains. These are just the most superbly sculpted kits - highly recommended to anyone looking to do something a tad different from the norm.

The box art below. I've been picking these up for around £20 to £25 each and you get a beautiful BIG well printed box from Tamiya

DSCF6238_zpsclmyw86e.jpg

Here's the infants - I will drop them in some boiling water to change and vary the neck and tail poses

DSCF6224_zpsmnuc5leu.jpg

DSCF6239_zpsu2o6jqnn.jpg

DSCF6240_zpsq2qnvano.jpg

The kit provides a choice of 2 mouth poses - I have chosen 2 of each, open showing the tongue and teeth, and the other 2 closed

DSCF6225_zpsymqbfkgi.jpg

DSCF6230_zps785fmwri.jpg

DSCF6233_zpsthxjvnsm.jpg

DSCF6234_zpsbjx4guie.jpg

DSCF6236_zpsfpajpmng.jpg

More limbs than Legs & Co from the old Top of the Pops days

DSCF6226_zpsquvfkcyg.jpg

DSCF6227_zpsfnicmf8e.jpg

DSCF6229_zpswgq9nolx.jpg

DSCF6228_zpsakdihoax.jpg

All 4 kits together

DSCF6237_zpsu62wywe8.jpg

I have filled the tails with DAZ clay and left the assembled bodies in a cold damp room to slow the drying time down - tonight I intend to heat and steam the tails to produce 4 different tail poses. The DAZ in the tail is to stop the plastic collapsing on itself when being bended

DSCF6241_zpszb6pffpb.jpg

The leg clip pins that Tamiya provide really make the limb attachment a snug fit and reduce the amount of seam filling

DSCF6242_zpswtwnonm9.jpg

DSCF6243_zpsq8naiml2.jpg

DSCF6244_zpsyscjmmmu.jpg

DSCF6246_zpsjvel8gh0.jpg

I'm hoping to end up with a scene depicting something like this below - I've already invested in a number of bits of 1/35 scenery to help with the intended diorama end result.

Brach%201_zpsxbktomi6.jpg

Thanks for looking in - and of course to Mrs P and the inspiration taken from her build last month.

John

• Like 7

Wow, I shall be watching this epic unfurl. :eat: and :drink:ordered!

One little pointer for the scenery; tree ferns and pine tree type trees only!

Christian, Britmodeller's tame(ish) Palaeontologist

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wyverns4 said:

Wow, I shall be watching this epic unfurl. :eat: and :drink:ordered!

One little pointer for the scenery; tree ferns and pine tree type trees only!

Hi Christian

Thanks for the reminder - I've got myself a load of ferns and prehistoric type pines from a small business tree model maker in Camberley who advertised on ebay, and some 1/35 resin tree stumps from a war scene maker which look like they will work too.

If all goes well tonight, I'll have the necks on (I steamed those late last night to get 4 slightly different poses) and also the tails steamed and altered all slightly

Its all a bit like building a herd of giraffes in elephant type bodies

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi Christian

Thanks for the reminder - I've got myself a load of ferns and prehistoric type pines from a small business tree model maker in Camberley who advertised on ebay, and some 1/35 resin tree stumps from a war scene maker which look like they will work too.

If all goes well tonight, I'll have the necks on (I steamed those late last night to get 4 slightly different poses) and also the tails steamed and altered all slightly

Its all a bit like building a herd of giraffes in elephant type bodies

Hi Gimme, I hope I did not offend re vegetative matters. I am really looking forward to seeing what you can do by combining steam, Daz and dinosaurs! Roll on!

Well, after a hot steamy night and 10 scolded fingers, this is what I have ended up with... :blink2: (Apart from a massive electricity bill next month)

4 tails before a steamy night in my kitchen with me !

DSCF6245_zpsvfwg3rkf.jpg

lots of steam and kettle top-ups finally gave me 4 different poses

DSCF6247_zpscvnpwpdi.jpg

DSCF6248_zps8wcjnfdj.jpg

Tens of tootsies now glued on all 4's

DSCF6249_zpsor51tqf4.jpg

DSCF6252_zpsadx6uo5s.jpg

DSCF6250_zpsojpcipfp.jpg

showing the 2 different front limb pose options - there's a lot of seam filling headed my way next week.

DSCF6251_zpsml3j5fvd.jpg

Not a very well focused photo, but here are 2 of the necks glued on - these were also steamed and twisted about to give 2 different looks - and each with different mouth/jaw poses

DSCF6253_zpswxfhv0vn.jpg

I've added my hand in the photo to give my camera a point to focus on, again the 2 different neck poses for the 2 Brachios that will be left with totally upright necks.

DSCF6254_zpsjbpezfnj.jpg

the same showing their 2 different leg pose options

DSCF6255_zpst5rw9vru.jpg

The other 2 necks have been modified to be displayed lower and facing opposite directions to each other. This picture shows some of the cutting made to the upper part of the neck where it joins the main body torso, along with some fixing strengthening poles and strips

DSCF6256_zpsgi5m48ip.jpg

Thanks for following the herd

John

• Like 3

That looks very promising and I think that your technique will need to be placed somewhere safe for future reference! (I only steal from the best!;)).

Thanks for the words guys - appreciated. Although these kits seem quite basic, I cant get over just how much satisfaction I am getting from making them - they really are exceptionally good quality even if they represent something we know little about and have only been able to vision as a creature of the past. Tamiya have really excelled in producing something that is fun and has brought the dino-boy back out of me from my dino craze days in the 1970's.

I've decided to add 2 additional Brachios to the build line - not shown below yet as they are in the post. I will be donating the completed diorama to somewhere that people can benefit from and learn about our ancestors (and my mother-in-law who has hips and legs (clankles I think they are now known as) as big as these Brachios). She has a lot in common with Nora Batty....(LotSW)

The 2 additional Brachios will be positioned wading in the pool.

I've got some tasty new pictures ready to upload tomorrow.

For those staying tuned - many thanks from me, John.

• Like 1

OK, so now I have 4 completely different posed Brachios in the making, with 2 more still on their sprues ready to be built up this weekend(ish). I've had a very dusty set of evenings this week so far, sanding down all the seams and trying to blend in the putty work where the necks have been heated and bent - these pictures don't show the sanded work and I have not pictured the work as it stands yet, although they are nice and smooth now. More pictures to come next week once all 6 are ready to go to the paint booth.

DSCF6257_zpsrsfj5ycy.jpg

DSCF6258_zpsk4agn7sa.jpg

DSCF6259_zpsd4tqtpiv.jpg

DSCF6260_zpscflairsd.jpg

DSCF6261_zpsnkmok4xu.jpg

DSCF6262_zpsede1jprq.jpg

DSCF6263_zpseklyvvo6.jpg

DSCF6264_zpsfpfz1g0n.jpg

DSCF6265_zpswlbvmfix.jpg

DSCF6266_zpsyx7w8ucv.jpg

DSCF6267_zps8a4ai3qo.jpg

DSCF6268_zpsds4nl70u.jpg

DSCF6270_zpsvov8uset.jpg

DSCF6271_zpssw6qd595.jpg

DSCF6272_zpsiglsaxyc.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you for the comments so far. Brachios 5 and 6 have arrived and were put on the workbench last night for immediate plastic surgery.

So I've decided on having 2 of these stood in a pool with 4 approaching the pool. 1 will be stood up on its hind legs which has left me needing to repose the legs. Also, to try and break up the walking poses on the herd a bit more, I have altered the front right leg position of one of the latest Brachios so that it will look more realistic with its other front leg posed forward when set against the other poses.

I've also changed the neck of one of the 2 new Brachios slightly, this time with a different cut which will give me a total of 6 different neck poses. I am aiming to create this type of rear leg / upright pose on one of the kits.

90150a6b-d3a4-4533-8f7a-3612e12b0760_zps

adaptive work on the rear legs to take the standing upright pose

DSCF6280_zpsegayxkd8.jpg

DSCF6281_zpskwfgnudx.jpg

where the new elbow and ankle joins fall

DSCF6282_zpswt1dlonr.jpg

DSCF6285_zpssscdjqk7.jpg

DSCF6283_zpss5jerxwx.jpg

DSCF6284_zps2jsw4pbj.jpg

DSCF6286_zpsnfimyt76.jpg

DSCF6287_zpsxhghi1vx.jpg

DSCF6288_zpsdtlkoeyc.jpg

DSCF6289_zpsvaxc6qy8.jpg

DSCF6291_zpsol2v1wcy.jpg

DSCF6292_zpsuuoxilxe.jpg

DSCF6293_zpstptxznpa.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Brachio followers

This diorama project is proving quite a mammoth project. Here is an update on the weeks work. With the exception of one last neck to sand down, I'm now getting quite close to painting and creating a base.

The feet are cast empty - for the new raised front right legs, I've had to fill the empty hollow foot stumps

DSCF6294_zps5aerdxtq.jpg

some of the early front leg pose prep work

DSCF6295_zpseqa5yqvc.jpg

DSCF6296_zpshsgxqgiq.jpg

in the hope to try and make the Bracio's chests look less like a pair of puffer jacket arms, I have added some filler to all the breast plate areas on the Brachio bodies.

DSCF6297_zpsxoaby1bl.jpg

here is some of the early re-posing work on the Brachio that will be posed standing on it's rear legs (like that classic Jurassic Park scene)

DSCF6298_zpsgnvqk7au.jpg

some of the early sculpture and leg repositioning work on the same variant - note the rear legs still needed the angle of their ankles reworking

DSCF6299_zpson9autqa.jpg

A baby Brachio with a cut and rodded neck before being reposed

DSCF6300_zpsn7x6gyxf.jpg

DSCF6301_zps8f0xngo9.jpg

another variant in the making

DSCF6303_zps195mhxfe.jpg

4 of the 6 different leg poses

DSCF6305_zpsivdchx6q.jpg

remaking the clankles on the Brachio that will be made standing up on its back legs

DSCF6306_zpskuxucgam.jpg

DSCF6308_zps4qhnd4ml.jpg

DSCF6309_zpsbdgikm8z.jpg

DSCF6312_zpsg8dzjvkp.jpg

DSCF6313_zpsmkibdigr.jpg

reposed rear legs and rear clankles

DSCF6314_zpszgodi2wz.jpg

DSCF6315_zpsixref8ls.jpg

reposing the neck and tail of a different aged infant that will be added to the herd - this was a Japanese imported figure from a "Paint Your Dinosaur Set" - I'm using it just to break down the visual size and age difference between the contents of the Tamiya kit box contents

DSCF6316_zps7ratpul7.jpg

the last reposed neck going on

DSCF6318_zps6y9y3diz.jpg

I've reposed 3 of the Archaeopteryx (necks, legs and wings) that come with the kit - I'm intending to have these taking flight from in front of the herd of Brachios

DSCF6321_zps9ltmtses.jpg

Into the final stages of reposing now -

DSCF6323_zpsldd5rnb0.jpg

reposed baby

DSCF6324_zps5l6by0ui.jpg

DSCF6325_zpsod8jb9p8.jpg

DSCF6326_zpsis46hkbd.jpg

DSCF6327_zps6pdfcc7v.jpg

DSCF6328_zpssypesd2c.jpg

DSCF6329_zpswutytqfk.jpg

6 different posed baby Brachios

DSCF6330_zpsyedpb1eq.jpg

DSCF6331_zpsnhs90tyn.jpg

The Herd - 6 different adult Brachiosaurs

DSCF6332_zpsbyqqpbil.jpg

All given an ID name to make it a bit easier remembering which is which at the Diorama build stages later on.

DSCF6333_zpsqeiqlset.jpg

DSCF6334_zpssp2hr6za.jpg

DSCF6335_zpslibppzwm.jpg

DSCF6336_zps5ymrzgm1.jpg

That's all for now folks

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...