Flying boats and float planes GB chat

43 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Don't know yet if I'll be able to participate, but if I do, I might well choose this one.

nakaji10.jpg

Great choice, Antoine! I hope you can make it and look forward to seeing it taking shape! 

Cheers

Jaime 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrlx said:

Joe, this Aichi float plane looks great,  I think there aren't many Japanese subjects planned for the GB, so this would be interesting to be seen.

It's a pity that the Airfix Walrus is delayed. When I discussed the dates of the GB  with Enzo I asked for a late date in order to allow this new kit to enter. Unfortunately, not late enough. 

Cheers

Jaime 

That's the one then Jaime. 

Cheers, Joe :D

• Like 2

I made first look at Delta 2 kit of SM 55X against some drawings (also for Sm 55X). Well - what to say? -  I've seen before some kits which fit to drawings in a better way... The floats are about 3-4 mm to shalow (low). The boms have therefore a bit wrong angle...And some surface is sunk...

This is for first look at. There will be more fun!

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

On 8/18/2017 at 21:58, SleeperService said:

OK Peeps as my dismal record in GBs looks like continuing I've done a thorough examination of my options. So

Plan A Bolingbroke Floatplane from the Sanger kit. Cut the fuselage halves and canopy out, test fitted, saw enormous hole needing to be filled... onto

Plan B He115 floatplane from the Special Hobby kit. I'd really like to do this in RAF service and haven't found much about it...onto

Plan C Avro Anson floatplane taxy trainer used by the SAAF for wannabe Sunderland pilots. It has floats but apparently couldn't fly. Would this be allowed? onto

Plan D I have no Plan D at present although an Aussie UH-1D/H with permanent floats may be possible.

Would the Anson float-trainer be OK? 

Hi @SleeperService, thanks for letting us know your plans for the GB.

All your proposals are interesting and except for the Avro Anson floatplane taxy trainer the other three would be OK to enter the GB. To be eligible the modelled subject must be an aircraft that existed (or exists) and could (can) operate from water, i.e.: taking off and land on water (as clarified in the first post). So, a water taxy trainer doesn't meet these criteria.

I look forward to seeing your chosen entry or entries shaping up :)

Cheers

Jaime

8 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Hi @SleeperService, thanks for letting us know your plans for the GB.

All your proposals are interesting and except for the Avro Anson floatplane taxy trainer the other three would be OK to enter the GB. To be eligible the modelled subject must be an aircraft that existed (or exists) and could (can) operate from water, i.e.: taking off and land on water (as clarified in the first post). So, a water taxy trainer doesn't meet these criteria.

I look forward to seeing your chosen entry or entries shaping up :)

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jamie

I've been looking into the Anson and it certainly couldn't fly on the floats, additionally it may have been a life-expired airframe. I'm glad I checked.

I'm being very careful with this GB my record on completions is appalling. The Bolingbroke and He115 seem to be a bit ambitious. I may have to buy something for this GB!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

I'm being very careful with this GB my record on completions is appalling. The Bolingbroke and He115 seem to be a bit ambitious. I may have to buy something for this GB!!!

I'm in the same boat as you regarding the completion rate of GBs: I've only finished one model in a GB (the Bell X-1 in the recent Prototypes GB)  and another in a KUTA GB. But have a considerable number of stalled builds that we're started as entries to GBs.

So,  I decided to go for a relatively simple build and chose the Italeri's Dornier Do 24T.

Cheers

Jaime 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jrlx said:

I'm in the same boat as you regarding the completion rate of GBs: I've only finished one model in a GB (the Bell X-1 in the recent Prototypes GB)  and another in a KUTA GB. But have a considerable number of stalled builds that we're started as entries to GBs.

Só,  I decided to go for a relatively simple build and chose the Italeri's Dornier Do 24T.

Cheers

Jaime 

And here's me attempting a 1/32.:blink: it is four months though right? Should be a piece of cake? :tumble:really looking forward to it now.:) 

Jont.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

And here's me attempting a 1/32.:blink: it is four months though right? Should be a piece of cake? :tumble:really looking forward to it now.:) 

Jont.

Yes, it's a few days more than four months. How could anyone possibly fail to complete a build?  😀

Cheers

Jaime 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Beard said:

There's a Brengun Spitfire V floatplane waiting at my local Post Office for me. Once I've collected it I'll be ready to join in.

We can't have too many Spitfires, even on floats :D

Cheers

Jaime

Thinking about it while finishing my HP I dug my only other float plane out of the stash. An easier looking kit on the run up to Christmas. Might change direction, I've never done an all black number. After @CedB s spit primer I'm rather falling in love with the idea of this one.

lovely rear windows. Very Roger Dean.

36685417335_1969daab6c_b.jpg

Hmmm decisions, decisions.

:spider:

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thinking about it while finishing my HP I dug my only other float plane out of the stash. An easier looking kit on the run up to Christmas. Might change direction, I've never done an all black number. After @CedB s spit primer I'm rather falling in love with the idea of this one.

lovely rear windows. Very Roger Dean.

36685417335_1969daab6c_b.jpg

Hmmm decisions, decisions.

:spider:

Johnny

I like the Arado John, especially in the grey scheme.

As for the Black Cat; these build up into very nice models. Pretty inspiring box art!

I've been reading @Beard's thread and the thoughts and suggestions on modelling all black aircraft in 1/72. 

You could have a bit of a weathering field day here (and I know you like weathering :D), with ocean spray, salt, faded panels...

Oh yes indeedy; a Spadgent weathered Black Cat sounds like fun ;)!

Best regards 

TonyT

PS: I forgot to say that there are some interesting suggestions regarding painting and weathering all black aircraft on Beard's thread :thumbsup2: .

Edited by TonyTiger66
PS added
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jrlx said:

Yes, it's a few days more than four months. How could anyone possibly fail to complete a build?  😀

Cheers

Jaime 

Oh, those few days are going to make all the difference! Still can't decide how to make the Cessna 180 floats, found detailed drawings for them or even know what scale the monogram kit is in. Seen the Esci 1/48 C172 floatplane which looks a lot easier, plan c it may yet be

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jrlx said:

So,  I decided to go for a relatively simple build and chose the Italeri's Dornier Do 24T.

Cheers

Jaime 

I think the main purpose of GBs is to increase the stash. In my short time, 1 completed, 1 abandoned, 2 kit purchased, never started and in stash.  This time I'm trying to use stash kits up hence going for a conversion

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A Roger Dean Catalina? The interior could prove challenging:

57f9a3d82c8feb0d3ad6c8c36a37236b.jpg

If anyone can, you can! :lol:

I might stick with the standard design.:lol:

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Hey!  How did you get a picture of my flat?

Nice flat. Do you have one of those walls made entirely from wine bottle? ;)

47 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I like the Arado John, especially in the grey scheme.

As for the Black Cat; these build up into very nice models. Pretty inspiring box art!

I've been reading @Beard's thread and the thoughts and suggestions on modelling all black aircraft in 1/72. 

You could have a bit of a weathering field day here (and I know you like weathering :D), with ocean spray, salt, faded panels...

Oh yes indeedy; a Spadgent weathered Black Cat sounds like fun ;)!

Best regards 

TonyT

PS: I forgot to say that there are some interesting suggestions regarding painting and weathering all black aircraft on Beard's thread :thumbsup2: .

I love the Arado too but I can see me spending the whole time on the interior, and I'd like to do it totally open. So it feels like there's  a black cat in my future. I do enjoy painting so this is going to be a real treat. I'll read the tread later, thanks for the tips.B)

8 minutes ago, Antoine said:

The PBY would have suited me, too.

But in other colours.

It's only that I wasn't sure of being able to tackle it in four months.

You know, with other GB waiting in embuscade...

I saw you were thinking of doing one. Would you mind if I did it or do you want to, you did have first dibs after all. 

Johnny

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I saw you were thinking of doing one. Would you mind if I did it or do you want to, you did have first dibs after all. 

Johnny

Not at all, Johnny, not at all.

First, there's nothing against both of us doing a PBY (As anyway you would build a Black Cat, and me something completely different).

And last, I'm not yet sure to be able to participate, but when I'll be sure, I've plenty of options in my stash to choose from, and try to build, again, something no one else is already building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Antoine said:

Not at all, Johnny, not at all.

First, there's nothing against both of us doing a PBY (As anyway you would build a Black Cat, and me something completely different).

And last, I'm not yet sure to be able to participate, but when I'll be sure, I've plenty of options in my stash to choose from, and try to build, again, something no one else is already building.

Thanks. That's very kind of you. :thumbsup:

john

Golly gosh, this is going to be a fun group build. I think I may need to somehow spice up my contribution for it...

Looking forward to this (and good luck to the moderators!)

Regards,

David

• Like 3

After due thought I have had to buy a kit for this GB to avoid the shame of another black star for failing to finish. So here is my plan

tumblr_ov17wt553p1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

Apparently it's quite decent. Anybody know of any issues with it. Have Roden started supplying decals rather than lino stickers that don't stick?

• Like 3