Flying boats and float planes GB chat

On 08/07/2017 at 01:33, Dazey said:

Hi Jaime et al.,

Can you also add me to the list? Yokosuka K5Y2 and diorama. And if my comparatively small contribution is finished in plenty of time (ha ha ha), I have another kit I could add (1/72 Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu Aki resin kit done as a Rex prototype).

Looking at the amount of interest and the proposed subjects, I think this is shaping up to be a fantastic GB.

Thanks,

David

Hi Dazey,

You're added to the list, thanks for joining! Your choices look great!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

On 08/07/2017 at 07:35, Mottlemaster said:

Thanks Jaime . I dont know yet but will be looking at the back pages of the Luftwaffe im Focus magazines as theyalways end with a good float plane story . An aircraft used in cladstine night operations with its black undersurface would be cool and iv yet to see a sea surface done at night with the moon light reflecting from it  (in my dreams )

Rgds Alistair

Hi Alaistair,

A night diorama with a moon-lit sea surface would be spectacular! I'm looking forward to your entry :)

Cheers

Jaime

Hello Jaime, I'm thinking this could be my entry for the group build. 

I like the Walrus from HMAS Labuan. 

I've also tried a link from Imgur for the first time to see how it works. 

The link is below should anyone wish to try it. 

http://www.hyperscale.com/imgurtutorialmo_1.htm

8Y2SbK2.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Hello Jaime, I'm thinking this could be my entry for the group build. 

I like the Walrus from HMAS Labuan. 

I've also tried a link from Imgur for the first time to see how it works. 

The link is below should anyone wish to try it. 

http://www.hyperscale.com/imgurtutorialmo_1.htm

8Y2SbK2.jpg

This Walrus looks very striking in orange! Which kit will you use?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I don't have very much for this;

A Revell Catalina

An Airfix Sunderland

A Hansa-Brandenberg W29

An Albatros W4

I really must get those WW1 types built

Good selection of choices. The WWI floatplanes would be lovely entries!

48 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I have found my entry for this GB in the stash, I think I had better start cutting parts out now ! :frantic:

IMG_3480

cheers Pat

A vacform flying boat looks like a real challenge! I'm not courageous enough to try a vacform kit myself but look forward to seeing your build!

4 minutes ago, jrlx said:

A vacform flying boat looks like a real challenge! I'm not courageous enough to try a vacform kit myself but look forward to seeing your build!

Hi

Im beginning to think you're right, but there's no point in having these in the stash unless you intend to build them!

I only recently lost my Vacform cherry :blush: see below, so this is going to be a considerable challenge 

cheers Pat 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, jrlx said:

This Walrus looks very striking in orange! Which kit will you use?

Hello Jaime, I intend to use the new Airfix Walrus. The decal sheet from Hannants has some very nice colour schemes on it. I've put a link below should you wish to view it. 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48178

Also below, a link to the yellow Walrus that I hope to build. 

http://www.xnatmap.org/viat/docs/various/Walrus HI.htm

• Like 3

On 15/07/2017 at 14:51, JOCKNEY said:

Hi

Im beginning to think you're right, but there's no point in having these in the stash unless you intend to build them!

I only recently lost my Vacform cherry :blush: see below, so this is going to be a considerable challenge 

cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

I'd say you finished your first vacform kit with flying colours, so you should tackle the new one without too much trouble.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

On 15/07/2017 at 15:39, Fatboydim said:

Hello Jaime, I intend to use the new Airfix Walrus. The decal sheet from Hannants has some very nice colour schemes on it. I've put a link below should you wish to view it. 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48178

Also below, a link to the yellow Walrus that I hope to build. 

http://www.xnatmap.org/viat/docs/various/Walrus HI.htm

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the links, very interesting! I really look forward to seeing your build of the new Airfix Walrus! Unfortunately, it's not my scale. I'll have to wait for a scale down to 1/72. In the meanwhile, I have Valom's Supermarine Seagull V in the stash, which was a member of the Walrus family:

148354-10571-pristine.jpg

I'm still undecided about my build but I should choose something simple, that gives me a good chance of finishing it within the GB deadline. As the host, it would be a shame not to finish my entry... :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

On 15/07/2017 at 10:55 PM, JOCKNEY said:

I have found my entry for this GB in the stash, I think I had better start cutting parts out now ! :frantic:

IMG_3480

cheers Pat

I've been watching the vac-form bug taking hold; great stuff :D! A biplane this time :thumbsup2: 

This will make for a great model. I love the Blackburn and Supermarine aircraft of this era. Good luck Pat. 

I think that you can cut parts out within the 25% rule; it more or less takes you to the starting point of the people with injection moulded kits.

Talking of which, three or so weeks ago this arrived in the post. A little earlier in historical terms than the Perth, but maybe similar in dimensions:

IMG_1031.jpg

I've decided on this piece of lunacy as my entry. It's an 'Amodel' kit :o. It will be fun. I have filler, lots of filler :D.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I've been watching the vac-form bug taking hold; great stuff :D! A biplane this time :thumbsup2: 

This will make for a great model. I love the Blackburn and Supermarine aircraft of this era. Good luck Pat. 

I think that you can cut parts out within the 25% rule; it more or less takes you to the starting point of the people with injection moulded kits.

Talking of which, three or so weeks ago this arrived in the post. A little earlier in historical terms than the Perth, but maybe similar in dimensions:

IMG_1031.jpg

I've decided on this piece of lunacy as my entry. It's an 'Amodel' kit :o. It will be fun. I have filler, lots of filler :D.

Best regards

TonyT

Tony,

That one looks great and is also in my wish list. But I must refrain from buying more kits for a while: I'm running out of space for my stash... I must finish a few builds first.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

I wasn't one of the original signatories for this GB but would like to join with this if that is OK. My last float plane was the Airfix Grumman 'Duck' when I was about 12 years old so I think that after 50 years that it's time for another float plane build.

35833171062_af6490c640_c.jpg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

I wasn't one of the original signatories for this GB but would like to join with this if that is OK. My last float plane was the Airfix Grumman 'Duck' when I was about 12 years old so I think that after 50 years that it's time for another float plane build.

35833171062_af6490c640_c.jpg

Hi John,

You're very welcome in the GB and your chosen entry looks awesome! I also built Airfix's Grumman Duck. It was my third completed build after returning to the hobby. You can see it here, if you're interested.

Cheers

Jaime

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:55 PM, JOCKNEY said:

IMG_3480

cheers Pat

I am planning the Iris version for my contribution which is actually a Sanger kit and came with no struts, was hoping John Aero would be back in service by then, I seem to recall he sells mixed sections of strut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

Hi John,

You're very welcome in the GB and your chosen entry looks awesome! I also built Airfix's Grumman Duck. It was my third completed build after returning to the hobby. You can see it here, if you're interested.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, I'm looking forward to starting this it should be an interesting group build. Your model of the Duck looks fabulous. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks Jaime, I'm looking forward to starting this it should be an interesting group build. Your model of the Duck looks fabulous. :thumbsup:

Thanks John!

We're just 6 and a half weeks away from the GB start date, so let's all choose our entries and start planning the builds :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bristol boy said:

I am planning the Iris version for my contribution which is actually a Sanger kit and came with no struts, was hoping John Aero would be back in service by then, I seem to recall he sells mixed sections of strut.

fantastic BB, we are allowed to remove the parts from the backing sheets before the GB starts, I got permission from a grown up !

So have you started yet ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

fantastic BB, we are allowed to remove the parts from the backing sheets before the GB starts, I got permission from a grown up !

So have you started yet ?

No didn't hear the starting gun! Plus I have a Contrail Botha on the go and I want that finished first. Mind you 3 months from September is not long for a complex vac so may get a bit done if I can find time. I'll pay a photo of the kit tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

No didn't hear the starting gun! Plus I have a Contrail Botha on the go and I want that finished first. Mind you 3 months from September is not long for a complex vac so may get a bit done if I can find time. I'll pay a photo of the kit tomorrow.

Two Vacform kits in a row, medals have been awarded for displaying less bravery than that !

Have you got the Botha build here on BM ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Two Vacform kits in a row, medals have been awarded for displaying less bravery than that !

Have you got the Botha build here on BM ?

Yes there's a WIP but good old Photobucket have wrecked all my WIPs and RFIs. Started using Flickr now, so there a couple of recent progress shots.

• Like 1

Hi Jaime, 

Good idea to have another model lined up just in case. I'm keeping this in reserve should the Walrus not be released in time.

Cheers, Joe. 

NXQlsIe.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Hi Jaime, 

Good idea to have another model lined up just in case. I'm keeping this in reserve should the Walrus not be released in time.

Cheers, Joe. 

NXQlsIe.jpg

Another good choice, Joe! Fine Molds are known for producing great kits. I have a few Bf 109s from them in the stash and one being built (in my Hartmann WIP thread, unfortunately wrecked by PB - I still have to relink the pictures).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1