Flying boats and float planes GB chat

6 hours ago, CliffB said:

I used the Extratech PE set (EX72148), which I'd recommend if it's still available.  The only problem is that you will actually need two sets, as it's designed for the Felixstowe versions without the extra wing-top gun position!

Hi Cliff,

thanks for the recommendation. Why are two sets needed when the only difference between versions seems to be only one gun turret?

By the way, did you find any special problems in the build?

Cheers

Jaime

2 hours ago, jrlx said:

thanks for the recommendation. Why are two sets needed when the only difference between versions seems to be only one gun turret?

By the way, did you find any special problems in the build?

Hi Jaime,

Apologies for not being clear - my mistake!

Part of what the PE set provides is detailing for the gun positions (scarf ring, magazine details, sights etc.).  Extratech only provide enough for the standard aircraft configuration, for example there are only two scarf rings whereas you will need three.  This photo shows the PE applied to the foreward gun position, plus you can also see the PE windscreen supports and control wheels.

P1100111_zpspnbauuw7.jpg

Wing sag apart, the kit was a delight to build.  Here it is 10+ years on, a little dusty (and I may have lost a gun from the wing position?), but otherwise bearing up OK!

P1100109_zps3e8ndufg.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 10

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

Apologies for not being clear - my mistake!

Part of what the PE set provides is detailing for the gun positions (scarf ring, magazine details, sights etc.).  Extratech only provide enough for the standard aircraft configuration, for example there are only two scarf rings whereas you will need three. 

Hi Cliff, thanks very much for the clarification and no need to apologise!

And congrats on an impressive model! Very well done :clap2:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear jrlx,  TonyTiger66, Rob G,

I'm interested in joining the GB – looks like it will be an interesting one. I'd like to do the Yokosuka/Kawanishi K5Y2 IJN trainer in 1/72:

Arii1_zps3poi0sfx.jpg

I also have the Revell Noorduyn Norseman in 1/72 as a contingency, although I think someone (Antoine??) may be doing that already.

Anyway, I like the idea of doing the Willow with some "ground" crew and a couple of pilots and instructor. It'll also be a good opportunity to experiment with water diorama/bases (i.e. learn how to do them).

Looking forward to seeing what gets done in this GB!

Regards,

David

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I also have the Revell Noorduyn Norseman in 1/72 as a contingency, although I think someone (Antoine??) may be doing that already.

Hi Dave, do not bother about what I've said, I've plenty of Hydros in my stash to choose from.

There's no rule saying that you have to build something different from other GB builder's choices, and anyway your K5Y will do.

So, welcome!

• Like 3

On 03/02/2017 at 08:29, Sabre_days said:

Please count me in. I'll have to give some thought to what I'm going to build, but it will be either 1:72 scale and World War II or something from OKB Beriev that I didn't have time for in From Russia With Love...or both.

50 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Dear jrlx,  TonyTiger66, Rob G,

I'm interested in joining the GB – looks like it will be an interesting one. I'd like to do the Yokosuka/Kawanishi K5Y2 IJN trainer in 1/72:

Arii1_zps3poi0sfx.jpg

Anyway, I like the idea of doing the Willow with some "ground" crew and a couple of pilots and instructor. It'll also be a good opportunity to experiment with water diorama/bases (i.e. learn how to do them).

Looking forward to seeing what gets done in this GB!

Regards,

David

Thank you for your interest and welcome to the GB, gentleman!

Antoine is right: there's no rule against multiple entries of the same subject in a GB, so any choice within the GB subject matter is very welcome!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

Well Jaime, I may possibly be able to join in.

I don`t have to seem to have much luck with GB`s.

So far it has been 2-1 in favour of missing the finish date,(due to changing circumcises , sadly).

But fingers crossed, i`ve got an Italeri Sunderland MK 1 in the stash, which I have been pondering over recently.

So who knows.

Simon.

• Like 3

Hi Simon,

That's great to know, a Sunderland will be most welcome! Don't worry too much about not finishing GBs in time. I believe I've a worst score than you... Just enjoy the builds and the interaction with other BMers :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Wow Stew, she's a beauty... can't wait to see your WiP :)

45 minutes ago, The Cameraman said:

'How the heck can anyone paint 1/72 scale figures to that level!'

If anyone can do it, Stew can... he's my pilot painting Guru! Eleven crew... no problem :) 

• Like 4

The Emily looks great. I have a 'Mavis' in the stash, still unbuilt from

around 1975 (original tooling 1969).

It would be great if they retooled that one too. Very flammable aircraft. Very graceful looking to my eye too. Almost a virtual Dornier Do-24 to the Emily's Sunderland; both stunning in their own way.

I'm going to try to scribble a bit more here now peeps, my  apologies for the bit of a gap.

Crew member painting in 1/72 is a mysterious and fascinating art;  we need to see more of it :)!

Brst regards

TonyT

• Like 6

Thanks gents - the Emily's crew look very nicely moulded and it is always a lot easier to paint well-moulded figures than poorly-moulded ones so I am hopeful that I can get a half-decent result which is really all that will be required once they are installed.

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looking forward to seeing Emily play.  :coolio:

What did she cost you (with P&P) in real money please (I had the old-tool, but it was just too shonky so I sold it)?  :hmmm:

Nice Floyd reference Andy :D - with P&P the kit has so far cost about £77 - I'm hoping I won't get stung with any VAT when it arrives in the UK but if I do, I do; it was just one of those kits where I decided I really had to have it long before I had any idea what it cost. I chose one of the expedited postage methods as well, so it would likely be a bit cheaper with one of the economy shipping methods. The kit itself was a fraction short of £50, according to the online calculator, which is still pretty eye-watering in itself...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's a lot of lolly for something that would sit in my stash for so long, but it is very, very tempting.....She's just such a butch girl, if she were a dog, she'd be a Rotweiller!  :D

Jamie from Sovereign Hobbies called it "The Steampunk Sunderland" :D

I'm hoping that it won't sit in my stash for too long, given the start date of the Group Build... I just hope I don't make a mess of it, as I'll never be able to afford another one!

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I had not realised that this pre-build section existed. I would like to join the group with a scratch build of some kind. Not sure what it will be yet other than it will be WW1 and will sit on water - there are a few flying boats form this period but I will probably make one that is not available in kit form, and in 1/72 scale. I will provide more specific details nearer the time when I have decided which type I can build within the time allotted.

P

• Like 2

Hi Pheonix and welcome to the GB. There's no need to make build promises, but it heightens the anticipation if you do. :D So far, it looks like there's going to be a pretty diverse mix of types, and why not - the subject matter is so full of interesting specimens. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Rob.

• Like 1

Hi Phoenix, welcome to the GB! You still have time to decide but even if you make a pre-announcement, you can always change your mind :)

Just to stir interest a bit,  here's my latest acquisition in the flying boats and sea planes department:

1021080-27767-57-720.jpg

Cheers

Jaime 

• Like 6

Hello Jaime, I can't believe I missed this. Would I be able to join please, or is it to late? I know I've not finished my last two Group Builds. But being the gentlemen you are,  I won't want to let you down. I will make an effort to finish what I start this time. Thank you. Joe. 

• Like 3