Flying boats and float planes GB chat

Thanks Ced!

Indeed we came out first of the list! Thank you all who voted for this GB!

This GB will be hosted by me, TonyTiger66 and Rob G. We're now discussing dates with Enzo and are aiming for a start date after July, in order to allow the new toll Airfix Walrus 1/48 to be entered in the GB. I guess there will be quite a few members interested in building this new tool :)

Thanks again for the support!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Quite chuffed about this, I'm currently thinking Spitfire floatplane, Airfix Spitfire Vb with Brengun floats seeing as I've flogged the AZ Spitfire kit that came in the Brengun box for my MTO build. maybe a Ar196 as the one from Graf Spee too if I can manage to start on time & have a tail wind. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

All look great possibilities,  Steve.  Looking forward to those builds. 

I'm still thinking about what I'll be building myself.  I have an ekranoplan, a supermarine seagull,  a fairy swordfish on floats and a superb WWI felixstowe with rear gun turrets.

Cheers

Jaime 

• Like 3

So many ideas for this one.

Over the weekend some stash investigations revealed a Hit-Kit Schreck FBA-17.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/257434-hit-kit-hk014-schreck-fba-17-hmt-2

This kit is a little infamous. Perhaps the only way it will ever get built is in a GB, with a bit of encouragement and advice.

Plus the obligatory mickey taking too :D!

Dragging such fearsome things out of the stash reminds me of Monty Python's 'Bring out your dead'!

"I'm not dead yet!"

Cried the Hit Kit, Airmodel, Roden He-111C (horror, oh the horror), Merlin, Libramodel, Formaplane ........ :frantic: .

TonyT

• Like 3

On 07/10/2016 at 0:53 PM, jrlx said:

Hi Sarge!

Are you joining? Perhaps you could add wings and floats to a Panzer. If it managed to take off and land on water (without sinking), it would be eligible :P

Cheers

Jaime

How would you stand with this:

04609_1275_n.jpg

Pretty sure it fits the rules as defined on page one and I would actually quite like to build one (although I'd prefer it to be 1/72).....Obviously I could build it in the From Russia With Love GB, but I'd rather do tanks in there, just because I can.  B)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How would you stand with this:

http://galaxykits.com/instructions/files/revell/04609_1275_n.jpg

Pretty sure it fits the rules as defined on page one and I would actually quite like to build one (although I'd prefer it to be 1/72).  B)

Yes, that's included and I've already bought this kit (though in the Zvezda boxing)

Cheers

Jaime

Are there any 1/72 ekranoplan kits?  :shrug:

So far I haven't touched 1/144 (unless AMT Gigantics count) and I'd really rather not start, given the state of my eyesight.  :nerd:

PS - Aiieee!!  :analintruder:

Some things are best left unsearched:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALEXYEVE-KM-CASPIAN-SEA-MONSTER-YAK-15-YU-1-SL-2-ANIGRAND-1-144-RESIN-KIT-/111735680919?hash=item1a03f72f97:g:z9UAAOSwqu9VU2sT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Are there any 1/72 ekranoplan kits?  :shrug:

So far I haven't touched 1/144 (unless AMT Gigantics count) and I'd really rather not start, given the state of my eyesight.  :nerd:

PS - Aiieee!!  :analintruder:

Some things are best left unsearched:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALEXYEVE-KM-CASPIAN-SEA-MONSTER-YAK-15-YU-1-SL-2-ANIGRAND-1-144-RESIN-KIT-/111735680919?hash=item1a03f72f97:g:z9UAAOSwqu9VU2sT

A search on scalemates only produces 1/144 results:

https://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=ekranoplan

I believe a 1/72 version would be enormous. Anyway, the 1/144 Revell/Zvezda kit is very simple and has no interior detail. It's more like an airliner build, I'd guess.

Cheers

Jaime

Nice to see this one made it. As I trawled BM this morning I began to wonder what I would build for the GB.

I have a few options:

Italeri Sunderland MKIII (or convert to Sandringham)

Academy PBY5A (or convert to PB2B-2)

Hasegawa Martin SP-5B Marlin

Minicraft Martin Mariner (with Red Roo conversion)

Modelsvit Beriev Be12

Matchbox Twin Otter

Hobbycraft Otter or Beaver

There could be more!

• Like 2

Hi TrojanThunder,

Great selection you have in your stash! I hope we'll see one of the big flying boats built :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrlx said:

I believe a 1/72 version would be enormous. Anyway, the 1/144 Revell/Zvezda kit is very simple and has no interior detail. It's more like an airliner build, I'd guess.

You're not wrong.....I hadn't realised just how big even the smallest designs were!  :o

Does anyone make a BTR-70 in 1/144 I wonder?  :hmmm:

22 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

What dates were chosen for this GB?

Nothing set yet, we're still negotiating. However it will almost certainly be in the second half of next year, to allow those who want to build the *NEW* Airfix Walrus (due in July) to take part.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

Nothing set yet, we're still negotiating. However it will almost certainly be in the second half of next year, to allow those who want to build the *NEW* Airfix Walrus (due in July) to take part.

Good thing. Not intending to build the Airfix kit but looking at the current GB and STGB time table I would very much prefer it not to be too soon :-)

Have something rare in stash for this :frantic:

René

• Like 1

Well. I'm pretty limited on choices for this build being that all I have in the stash are:

Matchbox/Revell Stranraer

Italeri/Revell DO-24T

Zvezda/Revell Ekranoplan (I'm starting to see a pattern here)

Revell BV-222

SMER Walrus

I've also got two floatplanes from Porco Rosso, but they wouldn't count.

I'm thinking of doing the 222, mostly because it was a gift from a clubmate who heard I was on the look out for one and presented me with a massive box one club night. I'd feel bad if it were just to anguish in my stash forever. Now I just need to buy the beaching trolly and the etch antenna and seatbelts.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Blastvader said:

Well. I'm pretty limited on choices for this build being that all I have in the stash are:

Matchbox/Revell Stranraer

Italeri/Revell DO-24T

Zvezda/Revell Ekranoplan (I'm starting to see a pattern here)

Revell BV-222

SMER Walrus

I've also got two floatplanes from Porco Rosso, but they wouldn't count.

I'm thinking of doing the 222, mostly because it was a gift from a clubmate who heard I was on the look out for one and presented me with a massive box one club night. I'd feel bad if it were just to anguish in my stash forever. Now I just need to buy the beaching trolly and the etch antenna and seatbelts.

A BV-222 would certainly be most welcome!

Looking forward to your entry.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I must say I am pleasantly surprised that this made it through the vote, and even came first!

I didn't think Flying Boats would be that popular, who would have thought it? I will definitely be joining in, if I may. Good excuse to get that Short Singapore started. If I can keep a bit of the bench clear I may even have a bash at something a little easier, just to keep things bobbing along.

Looking forward to it already. 

Hi Smudge,

Thanks for your interest and support! 

I too was surprised and very pleased  with both the quickness of getting enough interested members to get to the voting stage and then coming out first. 

I'm really looking forward to this GB,  as it will be my first as a host and there are so many interesting  ideas already put forward by the members. 

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I've got this GB earmarked on my spreadsheet as the end of the year is looking a bit more open at the moment.  If I do end up with the time (waiting to see how 2017 GBs at another site lay out), I'll see if I can find a kit and hop in.  I've found myself eyeballing some of these kits lately.

Even so, with my typical 3-4 month build time...it's already looking like I've got more planned than I'm likely going to be able to find time for.  :unsure:

• Like 1