Flying boats and float planes GB chat

9 hours ago, jrlx said:

Not one to shy away from a challenge, here are the updated and EXPANDED statistics by the end of the second week of the GB :)

Two weeks after the start of the GB we have 46 models posted till now:

1. Per type

Flying boats -------------- 23 +1

Float planes ---------------- 22

Helicopters on floats ------ 1

Amphibian helicopters --- 0

Ekranoplanes -------------- 0

2. Per usage

Military ---------------------- 32

Civilian ---------------------- 14 +1

3. Per Scale

1:32 ------------------------- 1

1:41 ------------------------- 1

1:48 ------------------------- 8

1:72 ------------------------- 33

1.96 ------------------------- 1

1:144 ----------------------- 1 +1

1:154 ----------------------- 1

4. Kit makers with more than one model

Revell ------------------------ 4

Matchbox ------------------- 3

Academy ------------------- 2

Amodel ---------------------- 2

Avis -------------------------- 2

Broplan ---------------------- 2

Hasegawa ------------------- 2

Italeri ------------------------- 2

Tamiya ---------------------- 2

5. Main medium

Injection moulded styrene ------------ 38

Vacform kit -------------------------------- 6 +1

Resin kit ------------------------------------ 1

Scratch built (wood, plastic, metal) ---- 1

6. Country of operation

UK ------------------------------ 9 +1

Canada ------------------------ 6

Japan -------------------------- 6

Germany ---------------------- 5

USA ---------------------------- 5

Australia ----------------------- 2

France ------------------------- 2

Italy ---------------------------- 2

New Zealand ------------------ 2

Austria-Hungary ------------- 1

Finland ------------------------ 1

Iceland ------------------------ 1

Netherlands ------------------ 1

Norway ----------------------- 1

Soviet Union ----------------- 1

Spain -------------------------- 1

7. Period of operation

WWII ------------------------- 19

Modern (post-WWII) ------- 12

Between wars ---------------- 11 +1

WWI --------------------------- 2

Pre-WWI ---------------------- 2

Hi Jaime,

I am about to throw my hat into the ring with a Welsh Models vacform.  It will be the Short S.23 Empire Flying Boat in 1:144 scale.  I have updated your updates with my updates :winkgrin:

Mike

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Hi Jaime,

I am about to throw my hat into the ring with a Welsh Models vacform.  It will be the Short S.23 Empire Flying Boat in 1:144 scale.  I have updated your updates with my updates :winkgrin:

Mike

Hi Mike,

You're very welcome and thanks for the update :)

Cheers

Jaime

14 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Jaime,

Mike

Outstanding, Mike we salute you :worthy:

cheers Pat

On 18/09/2017 at 08:54, bootneck said:

I am about to throw my hat into the ring with a Welsh Models vacform.  It will be the Short S.23 Empire Flying Boat in 1:144 scale.  I have updated your updates with my updates

12 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Thanks Pat, but I hope you are not expecting to see a museum-standard quality finish. My finishing is no match compared to what others achieve here on BM :frantic:

I shall have to look in on your build as I too have this kit

If you hadn't posted a few minutes ago I would still be forgetting this  GB

I'm about to start a float 'plane so I may as well buld it within this GB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I shall have to look in on your build as I too have this kit

If you hadn't posted a few minutes ago I would still be forgetting this  GB

I'm about to start a float 'plane so I may as well buld it within this GB

Looking forward to your build! The more,  the merrier :)

Just start your thread and let us know all the details of your build!

Cheers

Jaime

27 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

A Douglas World Cruiser

Interesting choice! This GB is unveiling a lot of types I had no idea existed :clap2:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

A Douglas World Cruiser

BK, is that the Williams Bros kit? I have one, if you do too it'll be interesting to see how it goes together... (I have yet to break the wrapping on mine, so I don't even know what colour the plastic is!)

Yes, its the Williams kit

It looks fine. Plastic is plain grey

It looks a very easy kit. Should only take a few days to throw together, maybe a week at most

The windscreens are sellotaped to the instruction sheet, so be aware of that.

One error with it; the box says any one of the 5 can be built but it doesn't have the name 'Seattle' on the decals. So only 4 can be decaled; Boston/Boston II/Chicago/ New Orleans.

I'll maybe start on Saturday. I'm a wee bit busy till then

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have only seen average images of the Douglas WC on line, and none with floats.  It'll be very cool to see this, with a WiP to boot!

That breakdown of builds is fascinating.  So many civilian craft!  One would not find that in, say, a GB of 109s or other wartime craft.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

It looks a very easy kit. Should only take a few days to throw together, maybe a week at most

Oh boy ! How many times have we all said that, only for the opposite to happen.

Lets keep everything crossed for you, touch wood, and even :pray: that you are right !

Look forward to seeing this one

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 20/09/2017 at 02:23, Black Knight said:

I'll maybe start on Saturday. I'm a wee bit busy till then

On 20/09/2017 at 06:49, JOCKNEY said:

Oh boy ! How many times have we all said that, only for the opposite to happen.

Lets keep everything crossed for you, touch wood, and even :pray: that you are right !

yup, its happened, but I want to have this one done to put on the club table at a model show on September 30th

I may have time to do a wee bit on it tomorrow

off to set up the build thread now

• Like 1

Hello all ... I'm not involved in this Group build so please forgive this intrusion. I have a general question concerning group builds and photographs. I'm planning on entering a few Group/Single-type  builds in the future. My question is directed to both other Modellers and Group hosts and or any Moderators that are reading this.

I was looking at a posting of a WIP in the Aircraft section at the top of the site. The O/P stated he used an IPAD over his Cellular for posting the photo’s for his WIP. He did this because the Rules required a Date/Time stamp on the Photo as proof of new kit/25% build rules ? I presume that is so everyone knew the kit was being built real time and not previously built ? He did not state the groupbuild was here at Britmodeller i am assuming that part. I checked in the various Builds i have signed up for. And in the general rules pertaining to group builds that i could find. Yet i couldn't find anything pertaining to Photo’s and Date/Time stamping ?  

My problem and bulk of my questions are these. I only have a cellular for my photo’s as i only have my cellular for internet use. I do not have a computer so my 35mm is no good for uploading images ? The only other computers i have acces to are located at my public library and i cant upload/download anything on those. I have a computer at my inlaws house but that is 50 miles away and not accesible but very rarely. As far as im aware i cannot  put Date/Time stamping on my Iphone photo’s, unless someone knows of a way ? So last and Finally does this disqualify me from entering these Group builds ? Or are there exceptions for someone in my situation ? Any help from any one that can answer any or all of my photo questions ? This will be greatly appreciated.  

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi Dennis

I think the Group Build you were looking at may have been the "Blitzbuild" where you are asked for the date and time as it's a challenge to do within 24 hours. :frantic:

The less than 25% built is not that arduous as most people just post a picture of the kit as it is at the moment and one of the hosts will let you know if it's ok to join. There is a Group Build called KUTA where the idea is to finish off your unfinished kits in which case the 25% built doesn't apply.

The rest of the group builds last a few months meaning you should have lots of time to finish but still end up doing it all at the end in a rush ! Picture using tablets, phones or anything else is all good.  :photo: No need to date stamp and time ;)

I would encourage you to join a Group Build you gets lots of encouragement from other builders and it's a lot of fun. Have a look in the stash for something in this Group Build and I promise you won't be disappointed.

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

Thank you Pat for the quick response. I have signed up for multiple Group builds in the next 12-15 months. But the whole  camera thing got me spooked. I actually have an idea for a group build that i am considering concerning “Aircraft of motion pictures/TV.”  But due to my lack of experience in Group builds, and the aforementioned computer issues. Im hesitant to put it out there. If i gain the experience and could find somebody with more experience to help host it i might propose it for 2019.

• Like 1

Hi Dennis

There are lots of great people on here, so don't let your apparent lack of IT skills put you off !

The Luddites amongst us seem to cope just fine ;)

This GB has only just started, come on in the waters lovely and I promise you will be really glad you did.

You being on the other side of the pond, means there lots of scope for American floaty aircraft, so look lively and let's not have any more hanging on the sidelines please :D

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Dennis ( @Corsairfoxfouruncle ), it's like Pat said. Where not worrying about time stamps in photos. If you'd like to join this GB, you're very welcome. If you have a model already started, just show us a picture as it is and we'll let you know if it's less than 25% built.

Regarding your idea for a GB, you can still propose it in the Future GB Chat. You should get 30 interested BMers till the end of October so that the idea passes to the voting phase. With some luck, you may get it elected for 2018 :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Id love to join this Group build. Sadly at this moment i only have one Flying boat. Its the Monogram 1/48 PBY-5 non-amphibian. But mine is about 75% done and has been like that since 2005 when i took my 10yr hiatus. The Fuselage is complete. The wings are complete, minus engines and the stabilizing W/T floats. I just need to finish those few things and paint it. I know this particular group build did start recently so there is time yet i hope to find something to build. I placed my initial post here as i didn't know where else to post it. But i will attempt to find a suitable subject and join yet. Again i thank everyone for the time taken to answer my questions. I truly appreciate the help i receive here at Britmodeller on the many different posts I’ve placed since June. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Dennis,

That almost complete PBY-5 would be a good candidate for the upcoming KUTA GB :) I think it'll start by the end of October or early November but just check the GB calendar.

I hope you can find a model that suits you for entering this GB. There's still plenty of time to participate! I still have to start my entry :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Dennis, for GB photos I use a simple all-mobile workflow- phone camera to Flickr app to in-Flickr editing to copying URL to BM. This despite me being a 'proper' photographer with a fair whack of digital gear. It's all about convenience.

A tablet makes the job easier, but only because of the larger screen, the method is the same.

You may already know this, but the trick to good mobile phone photos is to make sure that there's plenty of light. You'll need more than you think. Much much more - small sensors lose a lot of ability as the light decreases. Just keep snapping until you get what you need, and delete the rubbish.

When you find a floaty plane, you're more than welcome to join up - we're not stopping until Jan 7th. Plently of time! (Says he, who always runs out of time.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

would encourage you to join a Group Build you gets lots of encouragement from other builders and it's a lot of fun. Have a look in the stash for something in this Group Build and I promise you won't be disappointed.

6 hours ago, jrlx said:

If you'd like to join this GB, you're very welcome.

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

When you find a floaty plane, you're more than welcome to join up - we're not stopping until Jan 7th.

To all who have answered my questions i say humbly Thank you very much. For the Gracious invites i also say thank you. I will be looking for an appropriate aircraft and hopefully will be able to join in here. Also to the encouragement on the idea of proposing my own group build, I thank you as well. It got me back to streamlining the idea. Also to refining the writing so i don't look like a buffoon. 

Dennis

• Like 2