Flying boats and float planes GB chat

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

The jet flying boats look great and would all be eligible, if kits exist. The jet sky boat wouldn't be eligible, as discussed earlier in the chat.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime

I know both Planet and ID models make kits of the SR.A/1 resin and Vacform respectively 

Airmodel and Mach2 do the Seamaster both of which are.........challenging !

Airmodel did the Sea Dart

My guess would be A-Model for the Soviet ones ?

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

Jaime, if you meant the Sea Dart, it was actually airworthy; the ski was what it used for 'undercarriage' while landing and taking off.

Eastern Express do the Berievs, maybe not all, but at least some (I can't check right now.)

• Thanks 1

On 12/09/2017 at 3:21 AM, JOCKNEY said:

My guess would be A-Model for the Soviet ones ?

I've had a quick look Pat.

Rob G is right (thanks Rob :)), A little list but I'm sure there are more. May as well make a little resource here of Soviet Jet flying boats available/once available:

Eastern Express do the Be-200 in 1/144

IMG_6729.jpg

Also in  1/144 by RussAir in Resin;

IMG_6730.jpg

In 1:72 the Be-200 (I want one; I want one a lot and typing this isn't helping at all  :confused:) is available from good old Amodel:

IMG_6731.jpg

:heart: my poor wallet; that really is my 'funeral fund' gone :crying:.

Also in 1/72 by Amodel; the Be-10:

IMG_6727.jpg

Nice

IMG_6737.gif

Deka did a Be-10 in 1/72 as a Vacform (Pat :wink: ?) :

IMG_6728.jpg

I also found a Beriev A-40 'Mermaid' by Anigrand in Resin, in 1/144

IMG_6734.jpg

If anyone knows of other Soviet/Russian jet flying boat kits please let us know :).

Meanwhile; it looks like there may be the chance a Beriev Be-200 Firefighter could be built in the USA. Yup!

http://fireaviation.com/2014/09/28/new-agreement-to-produce-us-built-be-200-amphibious-air-tanker/

Fascinating stuff.

Best regards 

TonyT

(I know I'm supposed to be building a Dornier Wal kit....soon, soon..)

T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rob, thanks for the clarification on the Sea Dart. It would be eligible, then.

Tony, thanks for the list of Russian/Soviet jet flying boats. Very tempting... Any candidates to build one or more? :D

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Rob, thanks for the clarification on the Sea Dart. It would be eligible, then.

My pleasure. One of those great 'if only' types that disappeared without making (ahem) a splash.

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Tony, thanks for the list of Russian/Soviet jet flying boats. Very tempting... Any candidates to build one or more?

From what Australia Post's website tells me, my Be-200 should arrive at my place today. I won't be there to receive it, so hopefully the postie puts it somewhere out of the weather.

I'm up for making the Beriev... however... I'm not sure that I'll even get a start on my Twin Otter before the GB ends! Work is basically booked up until Christmas, with very few days at home and it's impractical for me to model while out here; I've tried it and it just doesn't work. However, I'll do my best to at least get the TO done. Right after I finish the Jet Provost...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rob G said:

From what Australia Post's website tells me, my Be-200 should arrive at my place today.

I'm up for making the Beriev... however... I'm not sure that I'll even get a start on my Twin Otter before the GB ends!

Great to know that you're up for the Beriev!

I'm also having very little time for modelling. I'm still working on my MiG 29 for the type's GB but I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it in time (typical, nothing new here...). So, I still haven't started my Dornier for this GB.

Cheers

Jaime

18 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I've had a quick look Pat.

Rob G is right (thanks Rob :)), A little list but I'm sure there are more. May as well make a little resource here of Soviet Jet flying boats available/once available:

Eastern Express do the Be-200 in 1/144

IMG_6729.jpg

Also in  1/144 by RussAir in Resin;

IMG_6730.jpg

In 1:72 the Be-200 (I want one; I want one a lot and typing this isn't helping at all  :confused:) is available from good old Amodel:

IMG_6731.jpg

:heart: my poor wallet; that really is my 'funeral fund' gone :crying:.

Also in 1/72 by Amodel; the Be-10:

IMG_6727.jpg

Nice

IMG_6737.gif

Deka did a Be-10 in 1/72 as a Vacform (Pat :wink: ?) :

IMG_6728.jpg

I also found a Beriev A-40 'Mermaid' by Anigrand in Resin, in 1/144

IMG_6734.jpg

If anyone knows of other Soviet/Russian jet flying boat kits please let us know :).

Meanwhile; it looks like there may be the chance a Beriev Be-200 Firefighter could be built in the USA. Yup!

http://fireaviation.com/2014/09/28/new-agreement-to-produce-us-built-be-200-amphibious-air-tanker/

Fascinating stuff.

Best regards 

TonyT

(I know I'm supposed to be building a Dornier Wal kit....soon, soon..)

T

Tony

You are leading many of us astray by tempting us into further purchases rather than build some of the stash we already have !

However I do like the look of the BE-10 !

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

Hi All,

I may not be the most observant of people but I can't see that a Walrus has been started in this GB.

I attempted Revell's repop of the Matchbox Walrus in the last Flying Boat GB in 2013 but hadn't got any further than this before admitting defeat due to work being done in my house....

8665819111_da73f4ca75.jpg

As well as the above I messed up the engine pod and glued the top wing together.

I know that I'd mooted building a DO-X for this GB but this is nice and getattable as it's in the Iancave rather than me stumbling about in the loft.

Would this be eligible under the 25% rule?

Yours enquiringly

IanJ

• Like 3

Hmm, I have 5 eligible kits in the stash, and the problems that killed my participation in other group builds this year should be pretty much over. I may be in. If I can find the stash (bet the only one to come to hand is Porco Rosso's S.21F which was an invention for the film. Life's been like that :D )

Andy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Hi All,

I may not be the most observant of people but I can't see that a Walrus has been started in this GB.

I attempted Revell's repop of the Matchbox Walrus in the last Flying Boat GB in 2013 but hadn't got any further than this before admitting defeat due to work being done in my house....

As well as the above I messed up the engine pod and glued the top wing together.

I know that I'd mooted building a DO-X for this GB but this is nice and getattable as it's in the Iancave rather than me stumbling about in the loft.

Yours enquiringly

IanJ

Come on Jamie

Ian has promised to play nicely if you let him join ! ;)

And we don't have a Walrus do we.......

cheers Pat

• Like 2

On 9/14/2017 at 13:31, Bonhoff said:

Hi All,

Yours enquiringly

IanJ

Hi Ian,

I've just seen your post. Yes, the model, as it is, is eligible under the 25% rule. So, please start your thread. A Walrus is most welcome!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Hmm, I have 5 eligible kits in the stash, and the problems that killed my participation in other group builds this year should be pretty much over. I may be in. If I can find the stash (bet the only one to come to hand is Porco Rosso's S.21F which was an invention for the film. Life's been like that :D )

Andy

Hi Andy,

Please join. I look forward to your entry.

Cheers

Jaime

Dear All,

I'd like to congratulate @CedB for the first finished model in the GB, which is already in the gallery! And very good looking too! :clap2:

Great incentive for those of us who have yet to start their models (me included... :blush: )

Just a request: please do not comment the gallery posts in the gallery itself. Post your comments in the original build thread of the model.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Given that we held the GB up so that we could get the new Airfix Walrus in and Airfix have fumbled the ball and failed in their mission (ie no frickin' Airfix Walrusii available in the shoppes yet), I think it only fitting that we should allow that other great British kit maker to hold up the UK end of the hobby! @Bonhoff Andy, welcome to the GB with a Matchbox Walrus (even if it had to be a Revell re-incarnation...).

In other news, I came home from work with a roaring dose of flu that is settling into my tonsils. So no modelling for me this weekend, which means that I most likely won't finish my Jet Provost for the Made in Britain GB (back to work on Monday, if I survive), and I also won't be starting my Twin Otter for this GB... Ain't life grand. I have received my Eastern Express Beriev Be-200 kit though, and have thought about starting a thread for it, because, well.... why not, eh. Hope springs eternal and all that, what. If anyone wants to see its bits, lemme know and I'll post a thread (although it may make more sense for me to just add pix here, and save cluttering up Mike's server with more of my inane drivel).

To all the new GB starters, welcome, welcome. Here's to wishing you parts that fit, glue that sticks and paint that goes where it's meant to!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Given that we held the GB up so that we could get the new Airfix Walrus in and Airfix have fumbled the ball and failed in their mission (ie no frickin' Airfix Walrusii available in the shoppes yet), I think it only fitting that we should allow that other great British kit maker to hold up the UK end of the hobby! @Bonhoff Andy, welcome to the GB with a Matchbox Walrus (even if it had to be a Revell re-incarnation...).

In other news, I came home from work with a roaring dose of flu that is settling into my tonsils. So no modelling for me this weekend, which means that I most likely won't finish my Jet Provost for the Made in Britain GB (back to work on Monday, if I survive), and I also won't be starting my Twin Otter for this GB... Ain't life grand. I have received my Eastern Express Beriev Be-200 kit though, and have thought about starting a thread for it, because, well.... why not, eh. Hope springs eternal and all that, what. If anyone wants to see its bits, lemme know and I'll post a thread (although it may make more sense for me to just add pix here, and save cluttering up Mike's server with more of my inane drivel).

To all the new GB starters, welcome, welcome. Here's to wishing you parts that fit, glue that sticks and paint that goes where it's meant to!

Hi Rob,

Hope you get better soon and manage to get back to modelling in due course. If it serves of consolation, I'm facing the prospect of another GB entry not finished in time: my MiG-29 in the MiG-29 STGB. I've been working very slowly on it since I returned from holidays and am still very far from completion. This is also holding me from starting my Dornier Do-24 in this GB. I'll try to stick to the MiG till the last minute, in a vain hope of finishing it. Then I'll start the Dornier, even if the MiG is still incomplete.

Let's see.

I'd very much like to see the contents of the Beriev, to get a fell of the beast. Please post some pictures wherever you feel more appropriate.

Cheers

Jaime

2 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Andy,

Please join. I look forward to your entry.

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you Jaime. I've done my usual trick, and ignored the stash in favour of a new kit, so I'll join with a Tamiya 1/48 Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu.

Andy

• Like 1

I don't have a shortage of subjects to choose from, :undecided:  perhaps that's why I'm dithering over what to enter for this GB.   :shrug: Hopefully I will get my act together and pick one to these to build. :poke:

Mike

choice_for_flying_boat_gb_1280.jpg

• Like 3

Look what arrived earlier this week. 

resized_ee2ba74b-d47d-4e9f-8060-0e81fa74

Tempting beyond belief 

resized_61b2fd36-4545-452e-beee-b3b571f1

resized_476f365c-0023-4a4a-832d-aaf43ba0

And 8Q-TMA is doable with a little bit of cutting on the transfer sheet. Oh the 1st world problems we have!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

I don't have a shortage of subjects to choose from, :undecided:  perhaps that's why I'm dithering over what to enter for this GB.   :shrug: Hopefully I will get my act together and pick one to these to build. :poke:

Mike

Dear Mike

Can we have the Empire Flying Boat please, its such an important model as far as the history of flying boats is concerned and especially as it might just possibly be another Vacform  :yahoo:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bootneck said:

Mike

Great stash to choose from! I've already built the Airfix Grumman Duck. Nothing fits properly, as should be expected from a 1960's kit, but it builds up to a nice looking model.

Cheers

Jaime

6 hours ago, 825 said:

Tempting beyond belief 

And 8Q-TMA is doable with a little bit of cutting on the transfer sheet. Oh the 1st world problems we have!

Looks great with the TMA livery.  Looking forward to seeing it done!

Cheers

Jaime

7 hours ago, 825 said:

Tempting beyond belief 

Let's be having you then. You can't never have enough Twin Otters.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Can we have the Empire Flying Boat please, its such an important model as far as the history of flying boats is concerned and especially as it might just possibly be another Vacform  :yahoo:

Hi Pat.  I must admit that I am tempted with the Empire Flying Boat and you may just have convinced me to enter it for the GB.

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Hi Pat.  I must admit that I am tempted with the Empire Flying Boat and you may just have convinced me to enter it for the GB.

Mike

Brilliant, love the signature you have, "Join our Procrastinating Modeller's Club; details to follow later." The other members would be very proud of you ! ;)

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2017 at 13:18, Rob G said:

Come on Jaime, we need more statistics. Engine types, countries of manufacture, countries of use/registration, kit manufacturer, media type (injection, resin or vac) etc. The public wants to know! :D

Not one to shy away from a challenge, here are the updated and EXPANDED statistics by the end of the second week of the GB :)

Two weeks after the start of the GB we have 46 models posted till now:

1. Per type

Flying boats -------------- 23

Float planes ---------------- 22

Helicopters on floats ------ 1

Amphibian helicopters --- 0

Ekranoplanes -------------- 0

2. Per usage

Military ---------------------- 32

Civilian ---------------------- 14

3. Per Scale

1:32 ------------------------- 1

1:41 ------------------------- 1

1:48 ------------------------- 8

1:72 ------------------------- 33

1.96 ------------------------- 1

1:144 ----------------------- 1

1:154 ----------------------- 1

4. Kit makers with more than one model

Revell ------------------------ 4

Matchbox ------------------- 3

Academy ------------------- 2

Amodel ---------------------- 2

Avis -------------------------- 2

Broplan ---------------------- 2

Hasegawa ------------------- 2

Italeri ------------------------- 2

Tamiya ---------------------- 2

5. Main medium

Injection moulded styrene ------------ 38

Vacform kit -------------------------------- 6

Resin kit ------------------------------------ 1

Scratch built (wood, plastic, metal) ---- 1

6. Country of operation

UK ------------------------------ 9

Canada ------------------------ 6

Japan -------------------------- 6

Germany ---------------------- 5

USA ---------------------------- 5

Australia ----------------------- 2

France ------------------------- 2

Italy ---------------------------- 2

New Zealand ------------------ 2

Austria-Hungary ------------- 1

Finland ------------------------ 1

Iceland ------------------------ 1

Netherlands ------------------ 1

Norway ----------------------- 1

Soviet Union ----------------- 1

Spain -------------------------- 1

7. Period of operation

WWII ------------------------- 19

Modern (post-WWII) ------- 12

Between wars ---------------- 11

WWI --------------------------- 2

Pre-WWI ---------------------- 2

Hope this is interesting. I think we can easily conclude that this GB turned out to be very diversified in all respects. Thanks to all for that and for all the interest and enthusiasm :worthy:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1