Flying boats and float planes GB chat

On 30/08/2017 at 1:12 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

A bv222, must be giginormous undertaking judging by the box of the one in my local model shop (which I'm just about to go off to) unlikely to return with anythign for this, only 3 floatplanes last I checked, the aforementioned bv222, the revell he115 and the ancient airfix sunderland which is probably too much hassle for me. 

The BV222 is massive - even I was surprised at the sheer size of the thing and I knew it was gonna be big. Will certainly keep me out of trouble for a while putting her together lol

• Like 1

On 30/08/2017 at 1:55 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Brilliant, as are near neighbours you being at the proper end of the country (that should start a discussion  :wicked: ) feel free to borrow my engine hoist when you want to put the wings on !

Good luck with the build, with you all the way :popcorn:

cheers Pat

I'll hold you to that pat - could easily put my back out lifting her once she starts to come together lol. I also agree that we're in the proper end of the country  so your support on this is even more appreciated. I'm back from a trip to Yorkshire tomorrow so hoping to make a start on her on Sunday (deep breaths)!!!!

• Like 1

On 30/08/2017 at 1:51 PM, JOCKNEY said:

What you looking for Big Stu ?

I have lots of doubles in the stash, PM me

cheers Pat

No worries, probably should give this a miss, need to start building stuff for me not just for GB's, my to build pile is growing vast,  though then again, not least to do a catalina would need to look into my great uncles war record, but on the other hand could jump the que with an italeri sunderland 1.....

2 hours ago, planecrazee said:

I'll hold you to that pat - could easily put my back out lifting her once she starts to come together lol. I also agree that we're in the proper end of the country  so your support on this is even more appreciated. I'm back from a trip to Yorkshire tomorrow so hoping to make a start on her on Sunday (deep breaths)!!!!

Yep just looks at the specs, makes the sunderland look average sized. Best of luck

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Paolo,

Great model you have there.

Regarding your question, I think it's one for @Enzo Matrix

Anyway, I hope to see you participating in this GB :)

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks , I have corrected the question

I would like to participate so much, I have some suitable kit : Swordfish, Kingfisher, Grumman Duck , DHC Beaver and another Twin Otter..

Is the Westland Sea King acceptable?

Edited by Pierpaolo
correction
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

No worries, probably should give this a miss, need to start building stuff for me not just for GB's, my to build pile is growing vast,  though then again, not least to do a catalina would need to look into my great uncles war record, but on the other hand could jump the que with an italeri sunderland 1.....

Oh come on, can't I tempt you with Arado 196, Frog Swordfish Floatplane, Frog Blackburn Shark, Revell or Matchbox Walrus ?

Go on you know you want to...... :wicked:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pierpaolo said:

Thanks , I have corrected the question

I would like to participate so much, I have some suitable kit : Swordfish, Kingfisher, Grumman Duck , DHC Beaver and another Twin Otter..

Is the Westland Sea King acceptable?

Hi paolo,

Yes, the Sea King is an amphibian helicopter, able to land on water. So, it's eligible for the GB.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

You know I might just be down for a little ar196.....

That would be an excellent choice, Stu. I'll have to build one myself someday.

Cheers

Jaime

Dear all,

At the start of the GB, here are a few statistics on the 27 entries posted till now:

1. Per type

Flying boats -------------- 13

Float planes ---------------- 13

Helicopters on floats ------ 1

Amphibian helicopters --- 0

Ekranoplanes -------------- 0

2. Per usage

Civilian ---------------------- 11

Military ---------------------- 15

Undecided ----------------- 1

3. Per Scale

1:32 ------------------------- 1

1:41 ------------------------- 1

1:48 ------------------------- 5

1:72 ------------------------- 18

1:144 ----------------------- 1

1:154 ----------------------- 1

We have a few conversions and scratch building projects as well, not only OOB builds.

I think this is a good variety of builds and hope it turns out to be an interesting and exciting GB :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Jamie,

I assume that your undecided usage item refers to my Dornier build. If so it was a prototype only, in fact a form of experimental machine as large flying boats (and large aircraft generally in fact) were very new and engineers and pilots had much to learn. This machine proved valuable from that point of view. It was intended to take it on military trials but as I will explain later, it never got that far. If my assumption is wrong, please accept my apologies - just hope this extra information is of interest.

P

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pheonix said:

Jamie,

I assume that your undecided usage item refers to my Dornier build. If so it was a prototype only, in fact a form of experimental machine as large flying boats (and large aircraft generally in fact) were very new and engineers and pilots had much to learn. This machine proved valuable from that point of view. It was intended to take it on military trials but as I will explain later, it never got that far. If my assumption is wrong, please accept my apologies - just hope this extra information is of interest.

P

Hi phoenix,

Thanks for the extra information, which was very interesting. In fact I classified your entry as "military". I can change it, of course, if you so prefer. The "undecided" one is @Rob G's "Twoter" entry, as he's still deciding which colour scheme to use.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Dear all,

I've just been informed by Paul Brown ( @PhoenixII ) that the IPMS(UK) Coastal Command SIG has been reborn.

Paul is the deputy C.C. SIG lead and the first official outing for the SIG is this year's SMW at Telford. The C.C. SIG will be happy to display at Telford any models from this GB, already finished at the time, that are relevant to RAF Coastal Command.

Types that would be relevant are:

London II,

Singapore III,

Stranraer,

Short S.23M,

Short S.26M,

Sunderland Mk. I / II / III / IV / V,

Lerwick I,

Catalina I / Ib / II / IIA / IIIa / IV / IVb,

Martin Mariner I...for evaluation purposes.

Walrus

Sea Otter

Swordfish floatplanes

Northrop N-3PB

Fokker T-VIIIw/W

If you think you can finish your relevant entry before Telford, feel free to contact Paul.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob G said:

I'm still deciding which KIT to use - I have umm... let's just say 'a number of them' in the stash.

That's perfectly fine, Rob :) No worries!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi phoenix,

Thanks for the extra information, which was very interesting. In fact I classified your entry as "military". I can change it, of course, if you so prefer. The "undecided" one is @Rob G's "Twoter" entry, as he's still deciding which colour scheme to use.

Cheers

Jaime

No Jamie - leave it under military because it was intended for military purposes, even though it never got beyond the prototype testing stage. I will describe the fate of the machine later.

P

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jrlx said:

Dear all,

I've just been informed by Paul Brown ( @PhoenixII ) that the IPMS(UK) Coastal Command SIG has been reborn.

Paul is the deputy C.C. SIG lead and the first official outing for the SIG is this year's SMW at Telford. The C.C. SIG will be happy to display at Telford any models from this GB, already finished at the time, that are relevant to RAF Coastal Command.

Types that would be relevant are:

London II,

Singapore III,

Stranraer,

Short S.23M,

Short S.26M,

Sunderland Mk. I / II / III / IV / V,

Lerwick I,

Catalina I / Ib / II / IIA / IIIa / IV / IVb,

Martin Mariner I...for evaluation purposes.

Walrus

Sea Otter

Swordfish floatplanes

Northrop N-3PB

Fokker T-VIIIw/W

If you think you can finish your relevant entry before Telford, feel free to contact Paul.

Cheers

Jaime

Phew, that was a close shave  :phew:

cheers Pat

@jrlxI've decided which Twin Otter I'll be building. It'll be a Canadian Forces one, as I can use most of the decal sheet and will only need to source/create/fake one digit in the serial number. And there's no masking for camo, it's ALL YELLOW. Magic.

There's a YouTube video of my intended, and I'll post a link in my thread when I can.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greggles.w said:

The above list is fascinating thanks .. if not too much trouble it'd be great to see it updated from time to time please.

Thanks for the interest.I intend to update the statistics weekly.

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

@jrlxI've decided which Twin Otter I'll be building. It'll be a Canadian Forces one, as I can use most of the decal sheet and will only need to source/create/fake one digit in the serial number. And there's no masking for camo, it's ALL YELLOW. Magic.

There's a YouTube video of my intended, and I'll post a link in my thread when I can.

That's great Rob! Who can resist a fully yellow floatplane? :D

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/09/2017 at 7:54 AM, Rob G said:

I'm still deciding which KIT to use - I have umm... let's just say 'a number of them' in the stash.

Me too :D That is, a number in the stash. Only got kit decals as far as I can recall though

• Like 2

I am going to try to post a couple of photos of my two earlier floatplanes/flying boats.

More to work on being about to post photos but hopefully also on topic.

(via "direct link")

139.jpg

I sure hope this works.....

144.jpg

Greg in OK

• Like 3

I was so worried about getting the pictures right I forgot to tell you about the kits...

That was a LS 1/72 scale Rufe and a Matchbox 1/72 scale Walrus.  (BE the Walrus, Paul.)

Greg in OK

• Like 1