Flying boats and float planes GB chat

Hi folks, 

Please can you count me in for this build - I've a bit of a soft spot for flying boats and I have a couple in the stash I've been looking for an excuse to crack open. Unless I become distracted by buying the new airfix Walrus, my intention would be to build either Italeri's Sunderland or Revell's BV222 which is huge. Please let me know if you have a preference to steer me in a particular direction. Good luck with your builds everyone.

Kris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 825 said:

I'm sorely tempted to make this

resized_476f365c-0023-4a4a-832d-aaf43ba0

As this. Revell (actually Matchbox originally) include the floats. The reason, well this is a plane I flew in a few months ago. I've never done that before. Both fly in a seaplane and make a plane I've actually flown in. And they do look rather good these TMA Otters.

resized_61b2fd36-4545-452e-beee-b3b571f1

resized_a620d177-131c-4866-ba4b-8c92c5d9

And the pilots do fly in fly in bare feet and flip flops. With no cockpit door. Great experience. 

resized_662fdab4-2e0a-4995-bade-4c030ac9

Only challenges are the colour scheme, white and red; a total nightmare before the sweeping colour demarcation. But I cannot find any transfers and I don't have the painting slkills to get close, and don't have the decal printing technology, software or skills either. Perhaps something simpler like a Stranraer or a Sea Otter. I've always wanted to make the Dornier Do18 that was the first shot down by British aircraft in WW2 (by a FAA Skua) and recently picked up a Revell rebox of the Matchbox original. So: so much to choose from. 

Hi 825,

That TMA Otter looks lovely. It would be great to have it in the GB, though I understand the challenge posed by the colour scheme. Please feel free to join with what suits you better. Looking forward to your entry!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

1 hour ago, planecrazee said:

Hi folks, 

Please can you count me in for this build - I've a bit of a soft spot for flying boats and I have a couple in the stash I've been looking for an excuse to crack open. Unless I become distracted by buying the new airfix Walrus, my intention would be to build either Italeri's Sunderland or Revell's BV222 which is huge. Please let me know if you have a preference to steer me in a particular direction. Good luck with your builds everyone.

Kris

Hi Kris,

You're very welcome in the GB. Both your proposed entries would be superb choices. Please feel free to choose whichever you like most. If you have time, you could build both ;)

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Here's a couple I built a few years back.

36495057380_eaa3d032b2_b.jpg

Revell HU-16 Albatross (USN) and Lindberg Kingfisher (RAAF)

Very nice. Are you joining the group Ray, or are you already on board?  (Or should it be afloat?).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi 825,

That TMA Otter looks lovely. It would be great to have it in the GB, though I understand the challenge posed by the colour scheme. Please feel free to join with what suits you better. Looking forward to your entry!

Cheers

Jaime

Will definitely join in. Just not with something so ambitious. I've got a few in the stash. It's currently a toss up between a vintage Airfix Kingfisher or an Azur Sea Otter. The latter has transfers for a post war Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky livery and it looks good on the box art. Very tempting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Can i tag along with a Martin Mars?

By all means! Please join and post your entry! it's a fantastic aircraft! 

3 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I think the Twin Otter would be a fine addition, especially in civilian markings.  This one is from Aeroexpo dot online...I think it is a stock image.

It might make a fine diorama!  :lol:

36729683052_4dfb505850_z_d.jpg

You are looking very trim there John, and if I may say so Mrs Masters doesn't scrub up too bad either ;)

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Hi folks, 

Kris

BV222 please, had one in the stash for years, I would love to see one being built here....

Go on you know you want too.....:wicked:

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

BV222 please, had one in the stash for years, I would love to see one being built here....

Go on you know you want too.....:wicked:

cheers Pat

To be honest Pat - I think I'd made my mind up on the BV222 - but now I know you're rooting for one I obviously can't refuse can I - that would just be rude!! Watch this space and wish me luck :thumbsup:

• Like 3

A bv222, must be giginormous undertaking judging by the box of the one in my local model shop (which I'm just about to go off to) unlikely to return with anythign for this, only 3 floatplanes last I checked, the aforementioned bv222, the revell he115 and the ancient airfix sunderland which is probably too much hassle for me. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

22 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

A bv222, must be giginormous undertaking judging by the box of the one in my local model shop (which I'm just about to go off to) unlikely to return with anythign for this, only 3 floatplanes last I checked, the aforementioned bv222, the revell he115 and the ancient airfix sunderland which is probably too much hassle for me. 

What you looking for Big Stu ?

I have lots of doubles in the stash, PM me

cheers Pat

1 hour ago, planecrazee said:

To be honest Pat - I think I'd made my mind up on the BV222 - but now I know you're rooting for one I obviously can't refuse can I - that would just be rude!! Watch this space and wish me luck :thumbsup:

Brilliant, as are near neighbours you being at the proper end of the country (that should start a discussion  :wicked: ) feel free to borrow my engine hoist when you want to put the wings on !

Good luck with the build, with you all the way :popcorn:

cheers Pat

On 29/08/2017 at 10:48 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Yep, I am in with a Catalina

Nice, I'm doing the same kit. Can't wait to get started.  :hobbyhorse:

Asps! Very dangerous. You go first.:lol:

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

I'm planning to go with the Matchbox/Revell Twotter, though since it's the only suitable subject in my stash (bought especially for the GB), that's not a hard choice. If I can complete it early enough then I'll look to acquire another Revell rebox, of the Dornier 18. Both to do as civilian schemes, so the Twotter will be a double first (floatplane and civilian type) in my cabinet.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 21:22, John D.C. Masters said:

I think the Twin Otter would be a fine addition, especially in civilian markings.  This one is from Aeroexpo dot online...I think it is a stock image.

It might make a fine diorama!  :lol:

36729683052_4dfb505850_z_d.jpg

It's similar to that i built for the De Havilland GB 

35650054295_993cd17929_c.jpg

A question for the hosts or @Enzo MatrixI would like to ask if it is possible to participate with one model (i.e. os2u Kingfisher) to this and another GB (radial engine) at the same time

Edited by Pierpaolo
correction
  • Like 2

Been inspired by the big 1/72 Mars featured elsewhere so I might just add my 1/144 CMR resin kit in to the fray and a Beaver... and maybe a 1/144 Catalina ins civvy Canadian scheme...

Re the Maldivian Twin Otter, I think I saw somewhere decals for the red and white one.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Been inspired by the big 1/72 Mars featured elsewhere so I might just add my 1/144 CMR resin kit in to the fray and a Beaver... and maybe a 1/144 Catalina ins civvy Canadian scheme...

Re the Maldivian Twin Otter, I think I saw somewhere decals for the red and white one.....

Decal26 do them and I have ordered a set. Janneman36 put me onto them. Thanks Jan.

Hopefully the postie will deliver them soon.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, amblypygid said:

I'm planning to go with the Matchbox/Revell Twotter, though since it's the only suitable subject in my stash (bought especially for the GB), that's not a hard choice. If I can complete it early enough then I'll look to acquire another Revell rebox, of the Dornier 18. Both to do as civilian schemes, so the Twotter will be a double first (floatplane and civilian type) in my cabinet.

Hi Chris, by all means join the GB. The more, the merrier :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pierpaolo said:

It's similar to that i built for the De Havilland GB 

I would like to ask if it is possible to participate with one model (i.e. os2u Kingfisher) to this and another GB (radial engine) at the same time

Hi Paolo,

Great model you have there.

Regarding your question, I think it's one for @Enzo Matrix

Anyway, I hope to see you participating in this GB :)

Cheers

Jaime

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Hi Paul,

I look forward to seeing your entries in this GB!

Cheers

Jaime