Flying boats and float planes GB chat

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

fantastic BB, we are allowed to remove the parts from the backing sheets before the GB starts, I got permission from a grown up !

I guess I'm the "grown up" :rofl: More seriously: yes, removing the vacform parts from the backing sheet is allowed, as it falls well within the 25% rule.

3 hours ago, bristol boy said:

Mind you 3 months from September is not long for a complex vac so may get a bit done if I can find time.

I regret to say that we're just 6 and a half weeks away from the GB's start date.

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Two Vacform kits in a row, medals have been awarded for displaying less bravery than that !

I fully agree: that's really courageous!

3 hours ago, bristol boy said:

Yes there's a WIP but good old Photobucket have wrecked all my WIPs and RFIs. Started using Flickr now, so there a couple of recent progress shots.

Let us know when all the pics are relinked!

Cheers

Jaime

19 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I've been watching the vac-form bug taking hold; great stuff :D! A biplane this time :thumbsup2: 

This will make for a great model. I love the Blackburn and Supermarine aircraft of this era. Good luck Pat. 

I think that you can cut parts out within the 25% rule; it more or less takes you to the starting point of the people with injection moulded kits.

Talking of which, three or so weeks ago this arrived in the post. A little earlier in historical terms than the Perth, but maybe similar in dimensions:

IMG_1031.jpg

I've decided on this piece of lunacy as my entry. It's an 'Amodel' kit :o. It will be fun. I have filler, lots of filler :D.

Best regards

TonyT

Great choice Tony

I think I have rhe same aircraft or at least something very simular but I'm sure it's by Huma their Do Jii Wal

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/157338-huma-dornier-do-jii-wal

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Having never built an A model kit before, I assume the filller comment means it's going to put up a fight before it's finished ?  :whip: :mg: :fight:

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bristol boy said:

No didn't hear the starting gun! Plus I have a Contrail Botha on the go and I want that finished first. Mind you 3 months from September is not long for a complex vac so may get a bit done if I can find time. I'll pay a photo of the kit tomorrow.

As promised a photo of the Iris kit by Sanger, the top sheet seems to be common to the Iris and Perth

35209851333_1b2c44c9d7_z.jpg

35887065811_bb27367e0e_z.jpg

No strut material though, have reminded Sanger that they didn't send any. Don't want to have to fabricate it myself.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bristol boy said:

As promised a photo of the Iris kit by Sanger, the top sheet seems to be common to the Iris and Perth

35209851333_1b2c44c9d7_z.jpg

35887065811_bb27367e0e_z.jpg

No strut material though, have reminded Sanger that they didn't send any. Don't want to have to fabricate it myself.

Brilliant BB

Looks virtually identical to mine, yours being the "convertible " version whereas I'm building the hardtop version !

Your decals look better than mine as well, but given how old mine are I might have to replace them anyway.

I see your kit also has the metal parts, although the Lewis guns look good, I'm not so sure about the seats ? We will need to do some research on the cockpit interior as not much comes with the kit, and it's going to be very visible !

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

Do we have a GB sig for this GB yet ?

If not how about using the picture below, completely biased as it's a Blackburn Perth, but you would have to be built of stone not to be motivated :shrug:

IMG_3486

cheers Pat

• Like 10

On 23/07/2017 at 10:17, JOCKNEY said:

Do we have a GB sig for this GB yet ?

If not how about using the picture below, completely biased as it's a Blackburn Perth, but you would have to be built of stone not to be motivated :shrug:

IMG_3486

cheers Pat

Thanks, Pat, it's a fantastic image. I think we could put it side by side with a floatplane and (why not?) an amphybian helicopter to create an all inclusive GB logo. What do you think?

What about this image for the floatplane?

floatplane-6.jpg

And this one for the helicopter?

h3f_cg.jpg

We must check the rules about GB logo dimensions, of course.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jrlx said:

Thanks, Pat, it's a fantastic image. I think we could put it side by side with a floatplane and (why not?) an amphybian helicopter to create an all inclusive GB logo. What do you think?

What about this image for the floatplane?

floatplane-6.jpg

And this one for the helicopter?

h3f_cg.jpg

We must check the rules about GB logo dimensions, of course.

Cheers

Jaime

To have a few images in there is nice. I'm on my iPhone so I can't see it, but Mrs. T made the 'Prototypes' Group Build banner to just below the size allowed. 

I'll be the first to admit it's not very good, but she did her best with free software,

Getting the text to be nice and clear was tricky.

There isn't a helicopter image showing for me Jaime, just a yellow rectangle with Helis.com in it.

I'm looking forward to seeing this dynamic duo of vac-builders getting their marker pens and scribers out! Then strutting their stuff and rigging for England! :thumbsup:.

Beautiful aircraft, those Blackburns.

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TonyTiger66 said:

There isn't a helicopter image showing for me Jaime, just a yellow rectangle with Helis.com in it.

Hi Tony,

I can see the helicopter picture in the PC but in the smartphone I also only see a yellow rectangle.

I'll try to compose a draft logo this coming week-end.

In the meanwhile, we're open for proposals of images :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Cameraman said:

Hi Jaime,

we can't not have a Beaver on floats now can we!

Hi Reggie

I had drafted a really good reply then I had a vision of Mike wagging a finger and my first warning point, so suffice to say

"NICE BEAVER !" and we shall leave it at that :wicked:

cheers Pat

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Cameraman said:

Hi Simon,

there's nothing wrong with them at all, they happen to be my all-time favourite aircraft.

Not mine either but at least it`s a bit humorous .

Simon.

• Like 1

This is quite a nice photo of a personal favourite:

IMG_9938.jpg

Are there four flying together here?

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4

Hi all,

I've received a very nice picture of a Beaver on a lake, which Reggie (@The Cameraman) sent me by mail and authorised me to post it here on his behalf, since he's still sorting out the PB induced problems. Here it is:

y4m_GdNtpCUCXqkariWItLpDf8D_lhx-DqLcpm0z

I decided to try my hand at making a GB logo, using this picture together with those suggested by Pat (@JOCKNEY) and Tony (@TonyTiger66).

So, here is the draft logo I'm proposing for this GB:

y4mpXBxRx2zh1b7k7UB-n9EinApSNgVwXSDmJ8oE

It's just under the maximum width. I think I can still improve the resolution of the letters. Just let me know if this is a good suggestion.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4

I like that Jaime, a lot. Good job :) 

A very small suggestion - how about swopping the Beaver and Sunderlands so that it's in sort of historical order?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

I like that Jaime, a lot. Good job :) 

A very small suggestion - how about swopping the Beaver and Sunderlands so that it's in sort of historical order?

Thanks Ced. I did as you suggest in a first version but the text was difficult to read over the black and white picture of the Sunderlands. On the other hand, in this way we have a symmetrical composition. But I'm willing to put them in chronological order if it is so preferred.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Ok, I did the following:

1. I improved the resolution of the letters
  2. I created two versions: the one already posted above (symmetrical composition) and a new one with pictures in chronological order (chronological composition)

Here they are for you appreciation.

1. Symmetrical compostion

y4mTcFFVXXtXnHxH9NcHOAcg5C30XOyP1LKpLZqI

2. Chronological composition

y4mUyIySjZbS1amq52Q0r_P94FqSLyGGwlKXukQA

Which one do you prefer?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4

Hello:)

This looks great Jaime well done :thumbsup:!

I like the font, even on my iPhone screen it's easy to read and it looks stylish.

It's probably not very helpful, but I like both. 

Just to throw a wild card into the mix, I also have a sort of tinted version of the Sunderland photo too. Both are from way back in my photo collection:

IMG_9938.jpg

I wonder if this one would look better? 

It kind of looks like a 'middle' tone.

I already like the existing two, but just thought I'd share it, I quite like the ocean tint.

Thanks again Jaime, Great stuff.

TonyT

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jrlx said:

Which one do you prefer?

Jaime, that's some nice work on the composition.:thumbsup2:

I like the chronological version but wonder would the tinted version of the Sunderlands that TT posted work better in the centre  than the grayscale Sunderland that is there at present? 

Those pale yellow hues in the first image would then carry across into the tints of those Sunderlands, mix there with the teal in that image to in turn carry across nicely into the blues of the Beaver.

I must keep an eye on this thread more closely as September heaves-to on the horizon! :D

Tony

• Like 4

16 hours ago, The Cameraman said:

Hi Jaime,

I prefer the Chronological composition, as the text seems to fit better with the spacing allowed under the Sunderlands.

Nice job Sir.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Jaime, that's some nice work on the composition.:thumbsup2:

I like the chronological version but wonder would the tinted version of the Sunderlands that TT posted work better in the centre  than the grayscale Sunderland that is there at present? 

Those pale yellow hues in the first image would then carry across into the tints of those Sunderlands, mix there with the teal in that image to in turn carry across nicely into the blues of the Beaver.

I must keep an eye on this thread more closely as September heaves-to on the horizon! :D

Tony

Thanks for the kind comments :) After looking at both versions together I also think the chronological version works better. I'll try to replace the Sunderlands for the tinted version. I think TheBaron is right regarding the gradation of tones this new version will provide. Hopefully, it'll be ready by the weekend.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 6

Hi all,

Here is the new logo with the tint version of the Sunderlands picture and the three pictures in chronological order:

y4mqfn9eDqSolSwuxwwolClIuJAK5Tz8MXdNKBnE

Should we elect this one as the official GB logo?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4