A Tale of Two Sea Hawks

Hello again!

At Ellesmere model show last Sunday I got a Sea Hawk for £2. It came without decals, only in the bottom part of the box, with loose parts. I've wanted a Sea Hawk for a while anyway, but never got round to picking one up. So I bought it as I figured I could build it in the last hour of the show when things were winding down anyway. As it's such an old kit anyway, the parts are few and far between and it didn't take very long at all to finish building. I glued it together and then gave it some sanding at home. I then decided to buy a Hobby Boss Sea Hawk so that I could get some decals. It didn't cost me much more than it would have to get the decals on their own anyway! So the Airfix kit will be a Luftwaffe one, and the Hobby Boss an Indian one!

Below are pictures of the two kits...you can certainly see the age difference!

Sea Hawks 1

Sea Hawks 2

Sea Hawks 3

Sea Hawks 4

Sea Hawks 5

Sea Hawks 7

Sea Hawks 6

• Like 4

A good start on both. There s indeed a difference between the kits, over fifty years to be precise! Nevertheless, with a little work, well OK, a lot of work, a nice model can still be made from the Airfix offering.

Martian

Hi Lexicon,

brave of you to attempt the Airfix offering. I look at my own model still pristine in its polythene sachet from time to time... and although I do have Model Art decals, I haven't felt brave enough to go any further than look at it...

As Marti(a)n says, a lot of TLC can work wonders with this kit (and many others that do not look to fresh behind the gills).

Good job so far

JR

PS: Do you always go to model shows with a portable modelling workshop?

Hope the canopy on the Airfix one is not glued... It looks it's been put back-to-front (though it may be just a play of light...)

Thanks for all the feedback guys! 

2 hours ago, jean said:

PS: Do you always go to model shows with a portable modelling workshop?

And no :P My friend took their child and so took some kits and glue/paint for him to use...so I stole some of the glue and just used my nails to get relatively clean cuts on the old plastic.

The new kit is a lot better - but if any of you have read the reviews there is a MASSIVE flaw with the kit - the cockpit glass doesn't fit in the closed position. Of course it can be modified to fit but it's a bit of a disappointment. Luckily I want to do it open seeing as the cockpit is so lovely anyway. 

I'll post another update once I've done some more work tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...