Tigermoth kit availability

Bob Henry

I am just wondering if any of the manufacturers ever produced a 1/48 scale kit of the Tigermoth WWII Trainer ? I would like to add one to my kit collection ( for a future build ). Thanks for any info that can be provided.                  Bob H.

• Like 1

Aurora in the US did one.  I have an unstarted example in front of me.  A couple of dozen parts with little flash and not much drama.  It even includes a handy dihedral jig.  Pretty good for 1958.  

Merit in the UK did one about the same period, later issued by Smer.  Harry Woodman says the Merit kit is "not the same moulding as the Aurora model and slightly inferior."  The wings have engraved markings, unlike the Aurora.

Artiplast had one.  The Scalemates site has a parts photo and they seem (visible through the poly bag) to be different from the Aurora.  I wonder if this is the Merit kit again?

Aeroclub issued one about 8 years ago and it has to be the best out there.  Google about and you can find some material on it.

All are out of production and all but the Aeroclub are distinctly elderly.  That's not bad in itself but I am sure improvements can be made when I build my Aurora example.

There has been talk of a Special Hobby effort but it hasn't been issued yet.  

Edited by RJP
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RJP said:

There has been talk of a Special Hobby effort but it hasn't been issued yet.  

Well there I go, talking through my hat again. I could've sworn I'd seen it announced. which is why one should use Google as a matter of course.

Special Hobby has announced one for several years by now. I got mine two years ago from John Aero. Best to pm him.

I started it in the Tiger Moth STGB last year, but did not finish it for time reasons again... It still rests on my shelf of doom.

You can see the kit here:

René

• Like 1

The Aurora was originally issued by Toltoys of Oz IIRC, and it is said to have been the "inspiration " for the Merit. Merit,  Artiplast and Smer are the same tooling. 

Sure the Aeroclub is only 8 years old?  I'd have placed it around 1990 (or was that a 72nd kit?).

I had it in my head that there might have been more than one Aeroclub Tiger Moth but wasn't sure enough to say so.  That did happen with the Chipmunk.

Never heard of Toltoys but it wasn't unknown for early manufacturers to borrow heavily, one way or another. I'd like to know more.

A fumble-fingered googling just now produced a list of hits for Tolstoy but I don't think anyone borrowed kits from him.

• Like 2

The Aeroclub one came out twice in injection form. The last one had the thickish etched for struts etc as mentioned above and a couple other changes to the tooling. Very nice kit as I have built one. I feel the Sword one will come... unless Airfix do the right thing and scale up their 1/72nd kit.

In addition I have the original Aurora one in the 1958 boxing. Have had it for about 40 years in my stash!!

From the photos of the Merit/SMER kit I've seen it looks 'wrong', I've not actually seen it in the flesh as I've been reluctant to pay out for what doesn't quite look right. It could just be me, I've got no evidence other than seeing G-AHIZ & G-AOEI flying for best part of 50 years from Marshall's in Cambridge, but it feels like the upper wing is too high? Any one compared one to plans? I'm happy to be proved wrong by someone who knows more than me!

Thanks to all for the replies. I think that I just may wait until something better hits the market. Hopefully Special Hobby will come to the rescue. It was worth a try anyhow.    Bob H.

The Aeroclub Tiger Moths in 1/72 and 1/48 have been re-mastered and re-issued several times as skills, drawings, mould design, excetera, changed. The last one in 1/48 saw changes to  a more accurate outline with changes to the tail and nose outlines and revised fuselage,with one piece wings and other changes both in the plastic and metal parts. The etch struts are thinner and very strong and the technique for the struts is the edges are filed round and sprayed with coats of Halfords primer -filler (or similar) and are  then profiled with a Flex-i-file.. The decals ran out some time ago and then were available as "kit only". It is the only accurate outline 1/48 Tiger so far.  The Aurora and and Merit / Smer kits are virtually identical (and very inaccurate). The Toltoy one is still poor but is different to the others. These kits and the old Airfix 1/72 version were based on the 1/48 Aeromodeller drawings published in 1941. My early Tigers were based on the now discredited G.A.Cox Aeromodeller drawings of 1958 (outline and strut length errors). the later revised version of these drawings are better but the  R.H Warring drawings from Model Aircraft ( UK, March 1957) are probably the best.

My last kit was modified to my own researches.

John

This is the test assembly of the last Aeroclub 1/48th Tiger, built very quickly and sans interior and without the brass etch struts. I can't show you when it was fitted with the etch as Neil Robinson nicked it for an article in a magazine.

Jiginstructions3005_zps515713b0.jpg

• Like 4

Yes I was referring to the old 1/72 Tiger. The new one was made to some DH Heritage supplied info which was IMO early publicity, hand out stuff, hence the cowl/front fuselage depth issues. The production drawings for the Tiger were only completed after the first converted 60.T Gipsy II powered Moth Trainer  (yes that is the correct title), had flown. The development of the Tiger is an eye opening lash up hence the new engine Gipsy III, the stagger, two different dihedrals and two different sweep backs and the shorter (than the Gipsy Moth) outer main struts. This aeroplane was then so radically different it received a new number the DH.82 and the name Tiger Moth. (which had been used before for the DH.71) when the Tiger received the Gipsy Major and smooth plywood top decking it became the familiar DH.82a.

I have the remains of a Toltoy Tiger somewhere.It has a flat sided fuselage and raised rib tapes.

John

John how do you tell which of the Aeroclub versions is which? Specifically the last one released, if I come across one, I'd like it to be the best version!

edited for autocorrect......

Edited by GordonM

The last version has one piece wings tip to tip with a separate two piece tank. where the early ones had 4 separate wing panels. There are also some subtle shape changes to the fuselage and rudder. The control box on which the seats sit was metal and was replaced by plastic as were the wheels and nose cowl. More recent issues have the white metal and the etch struts but I have no more decals left. I do have suitable Moth badges and civil serial letters in different colours for the fuselage sides and wing letters in black and white. Red Roo produce some Australian markings and the RAF markings can be found in the Modeldecal ranges.

John

Hi Don

I've just been ambling along trying to retire but whilst I own the workshop premises I need some income to keep it running as it has three phase electricity which I use for one of my machines. So I produce a few things still.

I still have stock of some items an I keep those here at my other studio workshop. which doesn't have three phase.

Cheers

John

On the other Tiger Moth kits. What I thought was a Toltoy, isn't. I acquired it years ago as a built and painted, but wrecked curiosity. I further dismantled it and split the fuselage. I've just found it again and beneath the paint on the inside is a logo. Playcraft of Gt Britain. so it's actually an Aurora kit made in the UK from bought in Aurora tooling. I think that Toltoy in Australia also bought Aurora tooling as did a company in Holland..  The Merit tooling was I believe sold first to France, then to Artiplast in Italy and then on to Smer in Czechoslovakia.  I'll try and photograph them.

John

12 hours ago, Don McIntyre said:

This would seem to be a natural for the new Airfix to do in 1/48.

Don, you are absolutely on target !! I can only hope that the Airfix staff picks up on this.                   Bob H.

As mentioned I managed to take some photos of the other Tigers the Merit/Smer and the Aurora/Playcraft/Toltoy. These kits are some 60 years old in design. The painted silver/blue 'rescue' is the Aurora/Playcraft version and the yellow/ orange ones are the Merit/Smer. Both dug out of a box of junk in the storage galleries.in my house  The orange one wears a test Aeroclub vac nose in an old attempt to improve it.

Both suffer from poor nose contours and the cockpits too far forwards as well as the shape issues. The Merit has very thick flying surfaces whilst the Aurora has heavy rib taping on it's multi piece wing. The Merit kit is altogether clunky and I've removed the raised roundels. The grey one is one of my "some day Moth collection".

John

IMG_0536_zpsmopefwnk.jpg

IMG_0535_zpstfbc96pp.jpg

IMG_0526_zpsxouznuqp.jpg

IMG_0538_zpsxjvxvnvo.jpg