1/72nd Eduard Spitfire Mk.IX, MH660, 1435 Sqn, Brindisi, Italy 1944

Hiya Folks,

Here is another little Eduard kit.,The only RAF flying Sqn to have a four digit unit number, 1435 Sqn grew out of 1435 Flight on Malta and it moved to Italy which is where MH660 joined the unit in 1944 and New Zealand ace Warren Schrader oftten flew this aircraft. It was lost on on the 7th September 1944 following an engine fire and it crashed into the Adriatic near to the Yugoslavian island of Vis.   

DSCF8945_zpsqz1b1yuf.jpg

DSCF8975_zpshxbncgzr.jpg

DSCF8978_zpsdkw446wa.jpg

DSCF8882_zpse2830xea.jpg

DSCF8980_zps0yitxrik.jpg

DSCF8951_zpsbd4g0svs.jpg

DSCF8949_zpstwoqhkoi.jpg

As with my other models this one is brush painted and the decals came from an old Almark Decals sheet.

Here is the WIP on the MTO GB where there are some excellent models,...it is well worth a look,;

Cheers

Tony

Edit,....here is the real aircraft (I put wheel hub covers on my model!);

1435_spit_178.jpg

And I have since come across this photo which I believe is the same aircraft?

rc41.jpg.opt856x591o0,0s856x591.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 36

Thanks everybody,.....glad you like it.

Ian- Yes I would say that the Eduard kit is the best 72nd scale Mk.IX,..... but at the moment you can only make the IXc variant, so you are limited to one with an early armarment fit and a large carb intake so far. KP, AZ and Sword make excellent Mk.IX, VIII and other versions which I can also highly recommend.

Cheers

Tony

Hello,Tony - No wonder I don't get many models built,I'm too busy trying to keep up with your production and lavish well-deserved praise on your superb builds.Another fine 'Spitfire' indeed!!😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tonyot said:

T the Eduard kit is the best 72nd scale Mk.IX,..... but at the moment you can only make the IXc variant, so you are limited to one with an early armament fit and a large carb intake so far.

Nice job Tony - 1435, how could one resist a 4 digit squadron.

I just got one of these Eduard kits. Looks like there is scope for some conversion work for other marks.

• Like 1

Like !!

This image is new to me Allmark decals know years ago but I

I missed that some of the Balkan operations.
the image in Osprey
?

badge on tail ?

But these decals were also in 1/48,.?? Does anyone have a surplus .

P.k

• Like 1

Your model looks great not because every spitfire looks beautiful but because you really made it very very nice.

I like very much sharp divided cammo pattern precisely executed.

As spitfire fan i must ask regarding red patches on the wing guns. Do they applied them specific on this plane as i think those should be more horizontally located. ...just my thought but really doesn't matter, model is real beauty.

Regards Djordje

• Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 10:45 PM, tonyot said:

As with my other models this one is brush painted and the decals came from an old Almark Decals sheet.

Here is the WIP on the MTO GB where there are some excellent models,...it is well worth a look,;

Would that be 'Victory in sight'? I got that sheet with the Esoteric Spitfire kit in the 1980s.  I never did finish the kit but now I know that I might still be able to use the transfers.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

Thanks everybody,......glad you like it.

Djordje- Well spotted,......I had not noticed that some of the decals for the gun port patches had moved,.......I`ll do a bit of patch painting and sort it out when I get a few minutes. Amazing what shows up on photos which are larger than th model itself,.....plus my eyes are going and I`m struggling with 72nd scale now!

In my defence I must say though that the gun ports on a Spitfire were slightly higher than the immediate leading edge;

spitfire_forced_landing.jpg

6f899a703cb1caa6413d3f620e096f51.jpg

Joseph- Yes hat was the sheet,.....it also had an RAAF and Polish Spit amongst others. This is it;

almark-09-supermarine-spitfire-8-9-victory-in-sight-1944-45-mh712-wx-d-302-squadron-v-y-1435-squadron-rg-v-a58-497-zp-v-a58-631-.jpg

P.k- The photo of the real Spit is on page 81 of Ospreys Spitfire Aces of North Africa and Italy (and also in my WIP). There is a colour side view of this aircraft in the book too. Not sure what the badge on the tail is,.....the official 1435 Flt/Sqn badge incorporated a Maltese Cross with an Eagle ......so it may be this,......but it does not look like it.

1435_spit_178.jpg

here is the wartime sqn badge;

20160129_154435a.jpg.opt403x460o0%2C0s403x460.jpg

and the modern day flight badge;

Image result for 1435 sqn

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Do not need to defence youself...models is as already said beauty ☺. Regarding eyes...i fully understand you i am using two pair of glasses for small items...looking quite strange to my familly members. Cheers.

Edited by djos
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, tonyot said:

here is the wartime sqn badge;

20160129_154435a.jpg.opt403x460o0%2C0s403x460.jpg

and the modern day flight badge;

Image result for 1435 sqn

Cheers

Tony

Looks as though the motto changed with the unit becoming a flight.  Audaces fortuna iuvat means Fortune favours the brave I think.

Nice work there Tony

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1