Alclad Jet Exhaust - all black?

Watcher

I have a bottle of Alclad Jet Exhaust. No matter how long and how hard I shake it it seems to be essentially a black lacquer carrier with only the tiniest amount of metallic. I want to use it on the engine of a 1:48 Tornado as I thought it would be just the job - but I'm not sure now. Advice gratefully received.

TIA

Matthew

Hi Matthew.

Yeah, I had this as well. There seems to be a few duff bottles around. I contacted Alclad but didn't even get a reply.

I don't use Jet Exhaust anymore, and have a preference for Gunze burnt iron for jet pipes.

My advice is ditch it.

Hth

Tom.

Alclad seems to go off after a certain period, as I've got lots of bottles of the darker metallics that now have to be strained before use, as they have become gritty over time.  I brought this to their attention years ago, and they were generous with replacements, but it seems that the problem still exists.  The paint after filtering is usable, but the metallic content is reduced, so different shades all start to look the same, which isn't too good.  Neither is having to strain paint that shouldn't need straining :shrug:

I'm still on the hunt for a replacement metallic that works like new Alclad bottles, but didn't get on with the new Vallejo Metal Colours, as the primer is pants, and I had colour lift after masking. :crying:

Although I can't vouch for how long it had stood in the shop it seemed to be like this from the moment I bought it. I think I'll just have to have a think about an alternative. Thanks for the advice.

In one of those strange coincidences, I used Alclad jet exhaust for the first time last weekend, and was also puzzled very black, very gloss, but very non-metallic result. It doesn't seem to lay down as easily as all other shades I've used. I've given it time to settle out in the bottle again, and the metal content is barely 3mm deep. A bottle of airframe aluminium has at least 10mm of metal powder at the bottom. I'm beginning to suspect this is a rogue batch.

I've had a bottle of Alclad Jet Exhaust for a while now and had the same reaction as you when I tried it, I was expecting it to be a colour like the others in the range. I might be wrong here but my understanding is it's to be used for staining the metallic colours and other painted areas for a sooty/oily jet exhaust effect, it's not a colour to be used in its own right. That's how I've used it in the past anyway!

Muzz

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:32 PM, Muzz said:

I've had a bottle of Alclad Jet Exhaust for a while now and had the same reaction as you when I tried it, I was expecting it to be a colour like the others in the range. I might be wrong here but my understanding is it's to be used for staining the metallic colours and other painted areas for a sooty/oily jet exhaust effect, it's not a colour to be used in its own right. That's how I've used it in the past anyway!

Muzz

Aaahaaaaah! That could make sense - but only if they told you that! What do you use under it?

It might make sense to use it as a stain or colour modifier for other Alclad shades, but the Alclad website doesn't suggest this, and shows one of their standard 'shapes' fully coated in Jet Exhaust. The effect there seems to be a bit more metallic than I've obtained, but not by much. I'll try it over or under something else.

I've had another look at my own bottle of Jet Exhaust, and  what I thought was 3mm of metal in the bottom turned out to be a tide mark from previous shaking and swirling. There's less solid content than in a Christmas snow globe.