Life Miniatures 1/10 "Sea Wolf"

Bigmick

Nope, now I've started I'm not stopping.

This is for the club table display at Telford.

Life Miniatures 1/10 resin bust of a U Boat captain titled "Sea Wolf"

I know it's not Nuts Planet, and I'm even more daunted painting this one having seen the box top art by Sang-Eon Lee, it seems he's based his art on Jurgen Prochnows costume in Das Boot, but jump in and see how he goes.

I started painting him at the Abingdon IPMS show then on nights, so if you're waiting for me to do a WIP you might have to wait a bit longer, as I've not started the head I might do for that.

A bit of research on Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock shows that he and his U Boat were the influence behind Das Boot, U-96 being sunk during an air raid at Wilhelmshaven in 1945, this was also the perfect opportunity to watch it again.

The Jacket was painted with German field grey as the base, the jackets were a copy of the denim type British battledress tunic of which many were captured after Dunkirk, originally brown or khaki in British service the Germans patterned it in a grey green denim, there are pictures of U Boat crews in the brown versions but I'll stick to the film version.

So a check shirt, ok, I'll have a stab at th st as well.

jurgen-prochnow-das-boot-5_zpsl5xrdttf.j

Reference pictures for the cap as well with white cover.

Das.Boot.1981.Directors.Cut.BluRay.1080p

The base blue was 930 dark blue mixed with a touch of black and white, a thin mix of white was used for the stripes, took a couple of tries to get the right mix but a steady hand got the pattern on, then flat red mixed with a small amount of black thinned slightly and painted on with my new best friends, Windsor and Newton series 7 brushes, a number 1 in this case.

So this is as far as I've got

IMAG0849_zpsqumybqiu.jpg

The binoculars were painted matt black then I used thinned steel to build up wear on the front where the paint had chipped of the nickel plating then brass where the plating had worn away, I googled U Boat binoculars so copied a picture of a well worn pair.

More to come.

Regards.

Mick. 

Edited by Bigmick
Omitted photo
  • Like 9

IMAG0852_zpsnz1yttn3.jpg

So that's all the hard bits done, now to do the face 😁, I was going to have a crack at planal painting, painting zones of colour then blending the borders with incrimental mixes of skin tones, but don't have a couple of the required colours, so base colour and glazes it is.

The hat took the length of the film 2012 to paint plus hidden cities of south America and hunt for the giant squid, base white colour was ivory white, looking at it now I could have used a light grey using ivory with a touch of black, then ivory as the first highlight, it took half a dozen thinned coats of ivory to cover, then white as highlights, very light grey as shadows then heavily thinned chocolate brown on the cap seam and randomly around the edge.

The rest of the cap was painted matt black, the parts to be gold had a base of chocolate brown then carefully brushed with old gold, they're still a bit bright so I'll add more black washes, the cockade needs more work as the white needs to have grey lines as it was silver wire not metal.

I'll need to order an appropriate base so I can add the brass swordfish which was an unofficial U Boat crest worn on the cap, luckily found while looking through boxes of bits at a military show a few months ago.

I'll try and do a SBS for the face later, just come off nights so bed for a couple of hours then painting.

IMAG0851_zpsmjjlhjkc.jpg

Regards.

Mick

• Like 9

Up to your usual excellent standards, Mick - but that shirt looks real! :worthy:  :clap:  :clap: I like the hat too, white is definitely a nightmare to work with.

Ciao

• Like 1

Thats looking great!

Just one point do you think it would be better/more realistic if the horizontal lines on the shirt weren't a perfect match left to right? Just offset slightly?

After seeing your pics which made me notice it I then scrolled back up to see thats how the boxart is, slightly misaligned...?

Tony

• Like 1

Finished, painted him at tankmod but the light was awful so used my led lamp, even more awefuller, 😁, so gave him a few glazes of red black, might have another fettle it daylight when I'm not shattered.

I did have a go at loaded brush and a couple of bits looked OK, but I think it'll be a while before im competent in its use.

Hope you like.

20161008195334_zpswmz5b0yi.jpg

20161008194855_zpsxebi1k5e.jpg

20161008195106_zps8fnbrvgu.jpg

Just need a nice base so I can attach the swordfish badge.

Regards.

Mick

• Like 9

Superb once again Mick, the detail stands out on all the elements of the figure so well, and

I reckon you've caught the stressed out look just right.

Have you actually given any thought about doing this for a living? Even if alongside your normal job.

Sean

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, the re repaint started, I know he looks terrible but it's the base colours

IMAG0899_zps3phmlprf.jpg

Then this is the finished ish product, used loaded brush and lots of washes.

IMAG0915_zpsyhd3yf6w.jpg

Still not happy with the pink eyeliner so redid the eyes.

IMAG0923_zpsiey9ccfe.jpg

So here he is on his base, resin angle cut base painted to look like rusted metal, but still not happy as it's too light.

20161129192032_zpstdwkeloo.jpg

20161129192109_zps1bs8wijr.jpg

20161129192212_zpsqftxgyam.jpg

Separated his from the base to repaint it in panzer grey and NATO black dusted on, with some blue enamel washes, grime and rust I might get a reasonable result.

Plus I'll probably end up getting a polished wooden plinth for him.

We're almost there

Regards

Mick.

• Like 4

Mick , This is some amazing work .

Your flesh tones are beautifully blended and they have a really nice glow to them .

The plaid shirt is fantastic too . If I tried that I'd end up binning it in frustration because I can't do a straight line for toffee !   :D

the baser sets the whole thing off nicely , I always liked that swordfish.

Superb !

Thank you all very much yet again.

So here he is, done as much as he can be, have to decide if he needs a wooden base, unless when I'm on battlefield tours next year I can get a lump of concrete from La Rochelle.

Based colour Tamiya German grey dusted with Tamiya NATO black from rattle cans.

Rust was done light to dark, Vallejo scrofulous brown from game colour, Citadel Scrag Brown, AK medium track then dark track from the wheel and track set, Vallejo matt black, Hornby enamel rust wash, AK dark streaking grime, sealed with Windsor and Newton acrylic matt varnish.

IMAG1143_zpsm8loebfa.jpg

Regards

Mick

Edited by Bigmick
  • Like 4