Zvezda Pe-2 Questions

Tbolt

On looking at the Zvezda kit it has the earlier exhausts and the type used on the 359 series, but the radio operators upper hatch is the type used prior to the 359 so it appears that a 359 cannot build be straight from the kit. All the painting guides show the earlier type exhausts, but does anyone know what versions the kit decals are meant to be for? I don't want to mark the aircraft up as a 359 when it is actually an earlier version.

Apparently the series 271 introduced faired wing bomb racks, but I'm guessing the are the ones in the kit the earlier type? If so does anyone have a picture of the later type?

I was a little disappointed that Zvezda went to the effort of including an engine and the fuselage bomb bay but didn't include the nacelle bomb bays, so I would like to scratchbuild one, but how were the doors opened on the ground? Was it just by the cockpit release and did this open both nacelle bays together or was there away of releasing the doors separately? I'm asking this because it would be nice to only have one open (OK I'm lazy and only really want to build one ;) ), but if it's not physically possible I will scratch build both.

Edited by Tbolt

I don't have the Zvezda Pe-2 kit yet so I don't know what decals are included.

the late -type exhaust was actually introduced in series 349 and kept till the end of production.

personally I find the most interesting machines from series 115 to about 265 or so, but you are probably different.

the nacelle bomb-bays were only used very early on and only for a short time.

so if you are building a mid or late series machine they would not be in use.

15 hours ago, PFlint said:

I don't have the Zvezda Pe-2 kit yet so I don't know what decals are included.

the late -type exhaust was actually introduced in series 349 and kept till the end of production.

personally I find the most interesting machines from series 115 to about 265 or so, but you are probably different.

the nacelle bomb-bays were only used very early on and only for a short time.

so if you are building a mid or late series machine they would not be in use.

Thanks, I guess the info I have is a little off. I also read that the upper hatch was changed on the 301. I didn't know they discontinued the nacelle bomb bays, I have  found a picture of a 359 series with the bays open on the ground, though I guess undergoing maintenance as the engine cowls were also off.

I've found decals for a 205 so might go for that.

You might be waiting a while, I'm trying to clear the shelf of doom a bit before I start anything else and I'm the worlds slowest builder ;)  Be interesting to see yours.

Edited by Tbolt