Ancient Revell 1/72 Fw190 - Finished!

Hello All,

I'm throwing this one in as a quickie. There will be the most basic of enhancements 'cos I don't do OOB.

It's the ancient Revell kit, one from my late Dad's stash of four or five plane kits, no doubt picked up from a bargain bin in a model railway shop.

Mandatory box and sprue shot:

image.jpg

I'm off to stick some bits together!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 6

A golden oldie! I remember buying this from the shop at the RAF Museum. Looking forward to watching this one come alive!

Christian, exiled to africa

It has swastikas on the decal sheet. It looks early to mid 70's?

Looking at the sprues it looks a tidy little kit.

Looking forward to some Adrian magic on this :)

:popcorn: 

TonyT

Well, I'm off to a fine start! The plastic is very brittle, it doesn't so much cut as shatter in roughly the same direction that you are pushing the knife. I've broken the top wing in half (the glue is drying) and I took a chunk out of the trailing edge trying to clean up the sprue attachment point! This wasn't the sort of "basic enhancement" I had in mind...

[Tony, I'm guessing mid to late 70s - scalemates.com doesn't have this box in its timeline but the box design looks to be of that era - strange fonts, browny-orange colourways, geometric framing]

Still, onwards and upwards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 3

Hello All,

I've made some more progress - it's all together and only a little bit out of alignment. The plastic is crazily brittle (note the absence of pitot tube for instance) but the detailing is delicate and the wheel covers fit the wheel wells well (sorry), which is pretty good for an early 60s tool. This boxing is copyright 1976 to 78, which is in line with our previous guesses. Anyway, pictures:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 4

I think you subliminally inspired me to drag a 1962-3 Revell Tempest out of the Drawer of Doom, last weekend.

I'm making it in bed, right now :D .

These old Revell kits are very good, they seem to just fall together.

I wonder if the plastic on yours has always been that brittle, or if it's something to do with changes in the plastic over time?

I used to have a 1976 Citroen CX. Bear with me ;) .

It was one of the first car designs (1973) to make extensive use of large, complex shaped plastic panels inside.

Unfortunately, by the time I owned it (1999-2003), the panels were shrinking and warping, had gone brittle, were cracking.

I also had a 1986 model, and the plastics were far more stable.

I know plastics are quite established technology now but wonder, especially looking at old Revell Liberators, Lancasters, Aurora figure kits of the 60's and 70's etc, if plastics have improved since then? 

Sorry to waffle on, it's just something I've been pondering for years :D !

Well, given the wheel well covers cover the wheel wells well, will you be making it wheels well up ;) ?

:goodjob: 

TonyT

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I think you subliminally inspired me to drag a 1962-3 Revell Tempest out of the Drawer of Doom, last weekend.

I'm making it in bed, right now :D .

These old Revell kits are very good, they seem to just fall together.

I wonder if the plastic on yours has always been that brittle, or if it's something to do with changes in the plastic over time?

I used to have a 1976 Citroen CX. Bear with me ;) .

It was one of the first car designs (1973) to make extensive use of large, complex shaped plastic panels inside.

Unfortunately, by the time I owned it (1999-2003), the panels were shrinking and warping, had gone brittle, were cracking.

I also had a 1986 model, and the plastics were far more stable.

I know plastics are quite established technology now but wonder, especially looking at old Revell Liberators, Lancasters, Aurora figure kits of the 60's and 70's etc, if plastics have improved since then? 

Sorry to waffle on, it's just something I've been pondering for years :D !

Well, given the wheel well covers cover the wheel wells well, will you be making it wheels well up ;) ?

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Good to see you making something Tony. Those old Revell kits seem to be more refined than the contemporary Frog or Airfix kits.

I built the Corsair from the same boxing last year and the plastic was not brittle, so there is definitely some variation.

Anyway, I got some time this evening to detail the cockpit, smash a new canopy and a spare, and start on the painting. Humbrol acrylic 248 covered very well. I know it's the wrong colour but I'm using it as a base for stippling on the lighter 247. You can see the effect in the wheel wells, which I did with 240 over 67. 

Pics:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 2

Hello All,

Got ten minutes at the bench today so I painted the yellow bits and added the plunge moulded canopy with lashings of PVA to fill the gaps. The belts and warning placard are painted on.

image.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 2

...and - finished! Well, nearly, sort of. Old Revell decals are fun. This is the first time I've ever had to use superglue as a setting agent. Will add the red spinner, a couple more details, a wash and varnish tomorrow. Pic:

IMG_2242.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 3

That was fast Adrian! :clap: .

A very nice result. The plunge moulded canopy looks a treat. I really would like to have a go at that one day.

Looking forward to RFI :) 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

As usual Adrian, an excellent result from an old kit! You get better results form your old (ancient) kits than I do from my new-mould kits - I think it may have a little bit to do with relative skill levels?

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That was fast Adrian! :clap: .

A very nice result. The plunge moulded canopy looks a treat. I really would like to have a go at that one day.

Thanks Tony! Uncharacteristically fast, I might add. You can try plunge moulding with nothing more than a canopy held on a stick with blu-tak, some packaging plastic and two bulldog clips. Oh, and a stove. It took me about five minutes to make two good canopies and three bad ones!

9 hours ago, Learstang said:

As usual Adrian, an excellent result from an old kit!

Thanks Jason! What, they make new ones??

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Very nicely done as ever Adrian and the kit still looks good to me.  :coolio:

Thanks Sarge! Better than the contemporary Frog kit without wheel wells at all, which was possibly their biggest selling kit ever. But by no means state of the art!

I've added some new pictures to the gallery here. Just for a laugh though, here's my complete Fw 190 collection:

IMG_2244.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...