HGW Wet transfers HOW TO

gregax

Hi guys,

just made a quick tutorial on how using HGW wet transfers. What are wet transfers? Well, imagine a normal decal but with carrier film placed on top of graphic instead of  graphic printed on carrier film. I hope someone will find this tutorial useful.

1. First remove the protective foil from transfers
hgw1.jpg

2. Cut out the chosen transfer with scalpel.
hgw2.jpg

3. Prepair the surface with Gunze  Mr. Mark Setter (don't use anything else - this acts as a glue so the transfer sticks to the surface at the end)
hgw3.jpg

4. Soak the transver in a warm water for 15-20 seconds
hgw4.jpg

5. Slide the transfer onto the surface you have previously prepaired with Mr. Mark Setter. Place it to the desired position.
hgw5.jpg

6. Remove the excess setter and water with a brush, cotton swab or paper tissue.
hgw6.jpg

REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT!!! LEAVE THE TRANSFER TO DRY FOR AT LEAST 6 HOURS. BETTER STILL, LEAVE TO DRY OVERNIGHT

7. Then carefully peel off the carrier foil.
hgw7.jpg

8. And clean the surface with damp cloth or cotton swab. 
hgw8.jpg

9. End result is simply stunning. As you can see, the roundel is the classic decal and You can notice a carrier film. Transfers however, are perfect. 
hgw9.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for this - I have some I intend to use on a number of models, and I'd been putting it off due to the fear of the unknown

For info, the Mr Mark Setter, I've seen it but as I have Future and the MicroSol pair I haven't tried it yet - what advantage does it have?

Cheers

Les

23 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

Thanks for this - I have some I intend to use on a number of models, and I'd been putting it off due to the fear of the unknown

For info, the Mr Mark Setter, I've seen it but as I have Future and the MicroSol pair I haven't tried it yet - what advantage does it have?

Cheers

Les

I tried this and it works like a charm. Blue microset could work. You need something that acts as a glue. 

• 1 year later...

Hi HGW - using these now on my 1/32nd Mosquito, and working like a charm.

Is there anything better I can use than damp cloth to get rid of the glue marks after removing the film? I can still see the outline of where the film was, and the marks left by The setting liquid...paint below is Tamiya acrylic or enamel .

thanks!