1/48th Revell Mustang Mk.III 213 Sqn, Egypt/Italy 1944- old ICM kit.-FINISHED!

Hiya Folks,.....another Mustang that I have wanted to build for a long time is one of the original Mustangs issued to 213 Sqn such as these;

Image result for 213 sqn mustang

page_7.jpg

and so when Revell re released the old ICM kit (we all know that this is rather similar to other 1/48th P-51B kits!) with the markings for AK-A I just had to buy it and here it is,....hopefully I will get it finished in time;

DSCF9015_zps2krztkdj.jpg

Wish me luck!!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Hi Tony,

When I built the ICM P-51B for the last Mustang STGB I discovered that some of the cockpit framework needed trimming to make it all fit.

Just a heads up if you've not built one of these before.

At least with the Revell boxing you can trust the decals not to self destruct on you....

IanJ

• Like 1

Cheers Ian,.....I have built an ICM P-51D and a few of the Allison engined kits but this is my first P-51B,.....so thanks for the heads up. I`m expecting warped bits and poor fit so anything less will be a bonus. I agree about the decals too,......they look nice as well.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

I love it to see a camoflaged British P-51. I have builded this kit a few years back in the D-Day 70th anniversary GB. What I can remember that it looks a lot like the Tamiya one, but has some more fitting problems. Take a look here for my build to see what I mean.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks Arniec,...... well here is an update,....I`ve painted and assembled the interior,...some parts needed a bit of whittling here and there but no real problems;

DSCF9028_zpseoxjbjgo.jpg

DSCF9030_zpsh5df7a3n.jpg

and the wings are together too,......this evening I also joined the fuselage halves;

DSCF9033_zpsd1ol6k4h.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great start Tony,I 've heard this is a copy of Tamiya's kit,certainly look's familiar.

I couldn`t possibly comment Steve,.......but yes it is very, very, very similar!  Cheers mate,....Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

Looking good! Yours appears to be fitting together more easily than the one I built 10 or so years ago. I had to do some major sanding to get the fuselage half's together. I wonder if they, (ICM or Revell), have tweaked the moulds?

So, would that be a Sky strip on the fin and rudder? Also does the in-flight image suggest similar bands towards the wingtips? There is something light toned clearly visible on the upper port wing towards the tip and also possibly on the starboard tip.

Christian, exiled to africa and off to Tanzania next week 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wyverns4 said:

Hi Tony,

Looking good! Yours appears to be fitting together more easily than the one I built 10 or so years ago. I had to do some major sanding to get the fuselage half's together. I wonder if they, (ICM or Revell), have tweaked the moulds?

So, would that be a Sky strip on the fin and rudder? Also does the in-flight image suggest similar bands towards the wingtips? There is something light toned clearly visible on the upper port wing towards the tip and also possibly on the starboard tip.

Christian, exiled to africa and off to Tanzania next week 

Cheers Christian,......well,......I`ve been putting the fuselage and wings together this morning and the fit was awful with the crappy plastic bowing in all directions,.......I almost abandoned the flipping thing and ordered a Tamiya kit instead,.......the parts may look `the same' but the fit, tolerances and quality of the plastic is sub standard in all respects,.......the thing is held together using reams of tape while the glue sets and I have a feeling that when the tape is removed the thing will fall apart,.....the plastic just does not want to stick together,.....so we`ll see! Why Revell boxed this sub standard `copy' is beyond me.

Cheers

Tony

Sorry I meant to answer your query re the colour scheme too,.....the fin and outer fuselage bands were yellow,....which were adopted to match USAAF regulations for the theatre for the P-51,......so that the American`s would hopefully refrain form attacking these British Commonwealth flown Mustangs. This was found on early Mustang Mk.III`s in the Med although it was discontinued later,......here are the stripes on a 1/32nd Trumpeter Mustang that I built a few years ago in 249 Sqn markings wearing the Dk. Earth/Dark Green scheme used by the unit for a while;

249-1%2032nd%20scale%20Mustang%203_zpsxs 

Have a good time in Tanzania.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Christian,......well,......I`ve been putting the fuselage and wings together this morning and the fit was awful with the crappy plastic bowing in all directions,.......I almost abandoned the flipping thing and ordered a Tamiya kit instead,.......the parts may look `the same' but the fit, tolerances and quality of the plastic is sub standard in all respects,.......the thing is held together using reams of tape while the glue sets and I have a feeling that when the tape is removed the thing will fall apart,.....the plastic just does not want to stick together,.....so we`ll see! Why Revell boxed this sub standard `copy' is beyond me.

Cheers

Tony

Sorry I meant to answer your query re the colour scheme too,.....the fin and outer fuselage bands were yellow,....which were adopted to match USAAF regulations for the theatre for the P-51,......so that the American`s would hopefully refrain form attacking these British Commonwealth flown Mustangs.

Have a good time in Tanzania.

Hi Tony,

That sounds about right for what I remember;)

Thanks for the info on the markings and it all makes sense now! As for Tanzania...

Christian, exiled to africa and soon to be in Tanzania

• Like 1

Yes a great start. I havn't built a Revell ( ICM ) Mustang but am tempted by the look of yours. It looks like the inner leading edges of the wings have the correct forward sweep, ie less than the D model.

Looking forward to more.

John

• Like 1

Good morning Tony

It seems you couldn't wait for October 22 to start building a Mustang , not sure that I will be able to resist myself I have this one

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/968386-az-model-az7515-p-51b-mustang

Very good start :worthy:

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 2

Cheers fellas,......I`d rather build a couple of Mustangs on here anyway as part of the MTO GB. Well this one has taken quite a bit of sanding and filling and the plastic isn`t very good,.........I`ve added a bit more filler along the main joins just in case the seams are still showing;

DSCF9061_zpspyd4kv6j.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,.....a quick update,......after lots of sanding I`ve got some paint onto the model. The undersides have been painted light grey and masked off and the upper surfaces have received a couple of coats of Ocean Grey;

DSCF9069_zpstom5i9op.jpg

Hopefully I`ll get the Dark Green camouflage on soon,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

Hiya Folks,.....here is another update,......the first few coats of Dark Green disruptive camouflage have been applied,......I really like this pattern and it was my main reason for choosing this subject,.......many of the earlier Mustang Mk.III`s which were introduced into service in Egypt wore this pattern;

DSCF9109_zpsxmeizzgs.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, thepureness said:

you picked a beast of a kit to build, mine ended up in the bin of doom

This one almost did too,......it still creaks and groans when I handle it as if it is going to snap apart in my hands,......bloody awful kit!

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks......the masking is off,.......a bit of remedial painting work done afterwards and the wing bands are being applied using Humbrol Trainer Yellow. I used a Testors light grey to better replicate the grey used on the American production line which seemed to be a Sky Grey style shade as this paler looking colour seems to have been retained on Commonwealth Mustang`s in the Med ,

DSCF9118_zpso75v42vd.jpg

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 3

Cheers fella`s,.......here is a quick update,.....the decals are on;

DSCF9217_zpsr9mjqj70.jpg

DSCF9216_zpsarzc3vym.jpg

As well as the yellow wing stripes which I`ve painted on,....Revell have also missed the band around the spinner which is visible on the photo of the real thing,....so I`ve pencilled it in for now, The style of serial on the real thing is slightly more narrow and squared off but I`ve stuck with the kit decals as I don`t have any of this style in the spares .

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Well I`m calling this one finished;

DSCF9244_zpss2foezbx.jpg

DSCF9245_zpszdgninbo.jpg

DSCF9248_zpsngigvfjk.jpg

DSCF9249_zpslka9s3ku.jpg

DSCF9247_zpstzb9o3sx.jpg

DSCF9254_zpsy5adqd1z.jpg

Thanks again for your support along the way everybody,.....it wasn`t the easiest kit in the world to build!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2