Clean Micro Sol/Set residue off of Future Layer

walkerccw

Hi All,

How do you get rid of the Micro Set/Sol residue on the kit.  The model has a clear coat of of Future. I placed a few decals using Micro Set/Sol and removed them because I made a mistake.  I have scrubbed the model with warm water, soap, and a toothbrush. but I can still see the residue where I removed the decal and the excess Micro Set/Sol.

Is there a way to get it off or do I put another layer of Future on?  Model was hand brush painted.

Thanks.

• Like 1

If you have a clear coat on the model, sometimes using quite a bit of the microsol softens the clear coat, I try to coat just the decals and not spread it too far around the decal and onto the clear coat.

I don't use the microset only the microsol

• Like 1

On Thursday, October 06, 2016 at 3:37 PM, colin said:

If you have a clear coat on the model, sometimes using quite a bit of the microsol softens the clear coat, I try to coat just the decals and not spread it too far around the decal and onto the clear coat.

I don't use the microset only the microsol

Yes, more than likely, the 'haze' is sections of clear coat/Future removed by the Microsol, not residue. You might find a light sanding will even out the clear, followed by another coat (or two) of Future. Next time, be sure to give the Future 24-48 hours to fully harden.

One of the reasons I prefer a cellulose/lacquer based clear; it dries extremely hard and is resistant to solvents.  Just my two cents as many modellers swear by Future.

Edited by Jerry V

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, walkerccw said:

I stopped using Microset and only use Microsol and it seems to help a lot.

I will try the hair dryer next time.

That's interesting to know I might try without set but I do get good results with both  the hairdryer trick was pretty soon after I noticed the residue fyi :)

Yep, that is what mine looked like.  I just had a thought about about my problem.  After the decals, I put on a coat of Testors Flat Clear Coat. It is very thick compared to Future. Maybe I should put Future on again then the Flat Coat?

Curt

Maybe  I'd allow the future to cure fully before using the sol or set then another coat after that's fully cured before the flat coat but before the flat coat if it happens again try the hairdryer trick and see if it works. Just don't get it on the hottest setting or too close for too long  

• 3 weeks later...