Wonderful Westland Wasp Weapons works wanted

perdu

There is a Wasp at Old Sarum (in the Boscombe Down collection).  That's about 3 miles from me, so if you PM me saying exactly what you need, Bill, I'll see what I can do.

Negative pitch did indeed come in with the Lynx; you need the semi-rigid head to make it work properly.  Saved my bacon in more than one occasion.

On 10/4/2016 at 3:43 PM, perdu said:

After more meandering round the web I must say I have not found any resources as good as our own BM  Walkarounds

I have much of what I want (that Flightglobal link is a fabulous place to trawl) now, does anyone know the function of that large rounded corners box under the nose?  I see what seems to be a pivoted lamp hanging underneath it is there anything else there I need to capture in styrene too?

And is that possible intake down there actually on the box or is it another thing I cant make out from the pictures

w%2011.jpg

Thanks to Richellis, Nigel Heath and Julien for those pictures

Id still like to see any weapons carrying sytems though

Cheers all

This is a radar transponder affectionately referred to as the Baked Bean Can. The Wasp comprised of relatively little metal and did not always show up on the ship's radar. When swept by the radar this device would reply with its own ‘chirp’."

If you can wait until December, I have just finished the Scout & Wasp Warpaint book. We had hoped it would be ready for Telford, but alas it has been delayed.

• Like 3

The Wasp carried spherical luneburg radar reflectors (atop the rear undercarriage legs) to give a better radar return to a shipborne air search (ie primary) radar.

IME all RN helos carried a system that would (when switched on) respond to a radar 'paint' with a rapid pulsed response (the 'Chirp'). Ergo it was not strictly a transponder because it didn't respond to a coded interrogation (from a secondary surveillance radar) and it did not 'Sqwawk'.

The 'Chirp' served to indicate (especially to an airborne radar such as the Searchwater fitted to Nimrod) that the radar contact was indeed a helo and not a submarine 'snort'.

Homing onto a slow moving or hovering helo at 300+ kts while decending through cloud to MOA (min operating altitude) is not good for one's composure (ask me how I know this!).

• Like 1

Thanks both, I've seen those little spigotty things dangling underneath Sea Kings and the like too

I think my nautical Merlin has 'em too ISTR

I'll look that up soon

I have been touristing down in that London since Sunday but now I'm back and Wasping again

Though Debs is right that it isn't strictly a transponder, it is officially called an "I-band transponder", and is indeed a standard fit to all ship-borne RN helos.  Debs has already outlined much of how it is used, essentially as an identifier on radar, either to distinguish it from other slow-moving / stationary objects or (most common of all) to help it stand out from radar clutter / weather returns when being radar controlled by a ship or another aircraft - which was the primary attack method for a Wasp torpedo, given the fact that it had no sensors beyond Mk.1 Eyeball.  The position underneath the aircraft (nose of a Wasp, tail of Sea King / Lynx) tells that it was aimed largely at ship radars looking up at it, rather than other aircraft radar looking down.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

I wondered if that was the I-band dooberry, cheers

I think I have found a halfway decent pic of the pylonrackgadget for the type 44 torpedos so I'm making stupidly skinny steady arms at the mo'

Edited by perdu

Hi

Just to add a little different thought, I built a Wasp years ago and was told by an ex RNZN Ground crew that the 'can on a pole thing' was the water sensor for deploying the floatation gear when the aircraft ditched. Thats why it only appears on Wasps with the floatation arms and why its also on the bottom of the Seaking.

Cheers

Very good pic, thanks chally

Colin I have all the info on the can ta

Found a fabulous diagram with all the info on the Wopses gizzitsgadgetsandwotsits, definitely I -band

This fab diagram's location?

In my Scout collection on the hard drive all the time   :(

I think it came from worm when I was Scouting and it shows every unit and panel on (and under) the airframe

I have never seen it anywhere else

Edited by perdu

On 10/4/2016 at 10:50 AM, Miggers said:

Don't think the Wasp had a grabber as such did it?,I thought that came in with the Lynx.

I was informed (back in mid 80's) that the wasp had a grabber. "A vertical harpoon for a last-ditch sticking to the deck" was the description.

Being RNZN Leander, I doubt the mess deck residents' association, located under the flight deck, would have been too amused by this being used in anger...

• Like 1

It's late October and it seems Wasps are still about.

Here's some detail pics of things I think you've asked about, ie the output shaft/disc brake area, landing and identity light box, box ahead just under nose (TACAN?), and weapons crutch.

Note the I band trans' seems a slightly different pattern here.

30517769185_284f71dbeb_c.jpgWestland Wasp HAS.1 detail (10) by James Thomas, on Flickr

29887212534_85e82bae36_c.jpgWestland Wasp HAS.1 detail (6) by James Thomas, on Flickr

30517775185_de6777c988_c.jpgWestland Wasp HAS.1 detail (4) by James Thomas, on Flickr

29887213474_4c89455f19_c.jpgWestland Wasp HAS.1 detail (5) by James Thomas, on Flickr

29885300373_97abb1accb_c.jpgWestland Wasp HAS.1 detail (1) by James Thomas, on Flickr

29885292213_edde094793_c.jpgWestland Wasp HAS.1 detail (9) by James Thomas, on Flickr

29885293713_62c6d15eb5_c.jpgWestland Wasp HAS.1 detail (7) by James Thomas, on Flickr

30430938071_6d2dc413a5_c.jpgWestland Wasp HAS.1 detail (8) by James Thomas, on Flickr

30401488622_59d8339228_c.jpgWestland Wasp HAS.1 detail (3) by James Thomas, on Flickr

29885299603_1b8c1088f5_c.jpgWestland Wasp HAS.1 detail (2) by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

Brilliant pictures chally, funny enough I've been working on the octagonal junction box between the jetpipes where the thermocouple (?) connections join, this evening

I must have made three or four scrap ones but I think I'm there now...

Your top picture gives me the exact info I need to pop it in place later

The others are great too, especially the weapons pylon dooberries, seems it fits exactly how I guessed it must

A'hanging off the double butterfly shaped bracketry and the single one behind  :thumbsup:

I think you have filled all the gaps I needed filling thanks

I think there was also a loud speaker buried in there some where, that could rotate into position and scare the daylights out of any non complying miscreants or give directions/orders as the case may be (obviously loud enough to be heard over the rotor/nimbus racket!)  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2016 at 2:40 AM, Uncle Dick said:

OK I know I am not stretching it when I say Airfix must be coming out with a 1/72 Wasp next year 

heres the proof :P

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK7360

That's not proof!  I was talking to Colin of Freightdog at Telford, who said his Wasp moulds have gone to Czechmaster for production and these are clearly the accessories for the completed kit. I think there will be a Wasp and a Scout eventually.

Edited by AMB

I've been getting that basic story for a couple of years now

As I understand it the main problem is in casting/making the canopy and assorted clear bits

I didn't even ask this year :(

I've got my canopy/screen unit ready already, legs and wheels next after the seats

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:50 PM, Miggers said:

Don't think the Wasp had a grabber as such did it?,I thought that came in with the Lynx.

IIRC,"deck grabbing" was done by a mob of handlers scurrying out with four ratchet straps that attached to the tops

of the legs and tie down rings on/in the helicopter deck.

Sure I heard something about "negative pitch" being applied(is that possible Crisp?)too so as to force

the a/c down onto the deck and compress the suspension(once landing on had taken place of course).

Here's another one,what about that 70's BBC series "Warship"?,sure that was done on a Leander and they flew

their Wasp frequently.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=warship+bbc+tv+series

Thank you for that Miggers. That one takes me back - to the days when we still had a Navy to reckon with !   The Phoebe ('The Fighting Forty Two'), as someone else said. They had fun with that.

John B

• Like 1

I could even do five or six of mine for Colin to help tide him over 'til the real thing comes along

I'm not sure but I suspect there might be an intention to cast the canopy/windows in clear resin

It can produce crystal clear parts if done carefully I'm told