Where's Joe

WHERE’S JOE

The Creators:

The diorama was created by Luc de Dapper, chairman of the Eeklo (Belgium) scale model club and Marc Degraeve, famous in Belgium for its ability to create figurines, starting from a bended paperclip.

The intention was to create  a diorama, that was interesting 360 degrees all round. Right from the start, the theme would be “Where’s Joe”. This gives spectators at venues the inspiration to start looking for the missing GI.

“The time frame is the “Ardennes Offensive” in Belgium around Christmas 1944. The soldiers are going to use the house, covered in ice and snow, to shelter some moments from the elements. The lady of the house is preparing  soup from US rations. Something to look forward to in this cold environment. The cozy interior will make the GI’s think of their family back home, and hopefully make them forget the misery there in at this very moment

The cameraman is making sure, that the loved ones back home can see, that Uncle Ben is still on the move towards victory.

Used Materials:

The house is from Mini Art, with self made added wooden floors

The complete interior (hundreds of details) is from Marc’s stash.

Snow-Ice-condense is all over the diorama

The GMC is from Tamiya with a self made canvas to cover the load

The Jeep is from Tamiya, and a set from Black Dog

Several figurines from different brands. Marc changed the figurines anatomically  to get them in the right position. Besides that he added extra winter clothes to most of the figurines.

The snow and ice is made from:

Precision ice and snow krycell fine (115gr)

Precision Ice and Snow wash (15ml)

It is always good to see a plan come together. Planning, preparations and executing the whole diorama took two years.  I hope you like the scenery.

Orion.

001.%20Winter%20Dio.jpg

009.%20Winter%20Dio.jpg

005.%20Winter%20dio.jpg

004.%20Winter%20dio.jpg

012.%20Winter%20Dio.jpg

011.%20Winter%20Dio.jpg

002.%20Winter%20dio.jpg

BLACK AND WHITE

003.%20Winter%20dio.jpg

010.%20Winter%20Dio.jpg

013.%20Winter%20Dio.jpg

WE FOUND JOE.  HE IS WORKING ON A THIN BROWN SWEATHER

• Like 20

That is a lovely lot of detail, and all absolutely top rate finishing on the figures and all the scenery. Very well done, they are a pleasure to view.

Edited by Rob 1

That's a really wonderfully executed diorama. :worthy::worthy: 

I visited and stayed in Eeklo a few times for work, many years ago.

Very good beer and the hotel, and a few other places, served nice 'Belgian' spaghetti bolognaise. I was surprised that the latter was better than Italian versions I have eaten :chef: .

It looks like you have a superb modelling club there, to get such a great result :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

By Jove, that's a good un! It is very close to being absolutely perfect.

My only criticism would be one that many would disagree with: the showing of the house's interior. Now, if it were completely wrecked by bomb or shell damage, that would be fine, but  as it is it is far too 'homely' and 'warm' for my liking. To me, it detracts from the bitter coldness and the lurking dangers outside. (This was a period of mayhem, fear and confusion, what with the rapid German push and the infiltration of Allied-held territory by Germans wearing Allied uniforms.) Furthermore, if I were going to show a 'lived in' interior, I would at least put in a staircase, showing  how the upper floor/floors were accessed. Of course we know that there ARE staircases 'behind' our point of view, in the 'removed' section of the building, but it does look a bit odd, like a doll's house, without them.

I know I might be causing some controversy here, because the modelling, paintwork and overall business of the diorama IS truly exceptional, but I think the dio would have been the very best dio ever created were it not for the interior.

Badder.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

On behalve of the construction team, I would like to thank you for your nice remarks.

It is appreciated, that the visitors on this website know how much time, and research must be spend to get

this finished. In competitions  this get some times lost, because the judges are not qualified for the job.

But no worry's, it stays a beautiful hobby.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello All,

On behalve of the construction team, I would like to thank you for your nice remarks.

It is appreciated, that the visitors on this website know how much time, and research must be spend to get

this finished. In competitions  this get some times lost, because the judges are not qualified for the job.

But no worry's, it stays a beautiful hobby.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands. 

All the thanks go to you for showing this truly magnificent work of art.

The skill in putting together individual stories within a much bigger story is beyond belief.

Pure Artistry. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...