Different Su-24 Fencer versions?

junglejim

Are there any good sites/books that show the differences between all the Su-24 versions (M, M2, MP, MR)? I'm starting the Trumpeter 1:48 beast - I know I shouldn't add the wing fences on top for the M, but I did see a photo captioned as an M which had them, just want to make sure. Wiki doesn't seem to help; sure it mentions them but doesn't really show the differences.

Thanks,

Jim

There is a good and nice book by Yefim Gordon/ aerofax

might be an overkill though for your needs.

maybe just try to model a specific aircraft... which you have pictures of....

• Like 2

I agree with exdaken, I have Yefim Gordon's Su-24 publication for the Famous Russian Aircraft series, it's a great quality hardback which you might get for a good price if you shop about. (Think I paid £25 for mine) There's a different Yefim Gordon one on sale on eBay at the moment for £15, might be worth a look.

Muzz

Hello Jim!

I have the Yefim Gordon's book too. As said it is very good and I found it useful when I built my SU-24M. Very good and useful photos can be found on the Internet. Put "CY-24M" into Google and you get even more photos from Russian sites (many of them taken by front line squadron members).

SU-24MR (the reconnaissance version) is easy to recognize because of the large SLAR antenna panels in the nose. Trumpeter has released a separate MR kit so no risk of confusion there. The wing fences were a feature of SU-24MK (the export version). The Trumpeter kit might still provide decals for one of these (Blue 91 based at Kubinka AB). Good quality photos of this particular aircraft can be found on the Internet and on magazines. You'll quickly notice how bad the Trumpeter's painting guide is...

You can see my SU-24M "Blue 44" of 67.BAP that was based at Siverskiy AB near Sankt Petersburg here: http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/malli_11714/

Check also the tab "Työvaihekuvia" (Work In Progress) to see the revised surface details and problems with the fuselage spine as well with the wings. The text is in Finnish language so if you need clarification just ask.

Good luck with your "Chemodan" (Suitcase as Fencer is known in Russia)!

Best Regards,

Antti

On 10/3/2016 at 5:28 AM, junglejim said:

Are there any good sites/books that show the differences between all the Su-24 versions (M, M2, MP, MR)? I'm starting the Trumpeter 1:48 beast - I know I shouldn't add the wing fences on top for the M, but I did see a photo captioned as an M which had them, just want to make sure. Wiki doesn't seem to help; sure it mentions them but doesn't really show the differences.

I seem to remember that these wing fences could be taken off, depending on the mission, so there's no hard rule on them.

Rob

Thanks All, lots of good photos on the russianplanes.net site (once I found/translated the aircraft type section!). I've ordered the Famous Russian Aircraft book too. I've got all the goodies - Komplekt Zip sets, Aires cockpit/wheel bays, Eduard goodies, Bergmot decals; so want to do this one up right! Nice job on yours Antti - luckily my Wife is Finnish so I have a nearby translator! (the Google translation of Finnish leaves a lot to be desired...).

Cheers,

Jim

• Like 3

You'll enjoy the book Jim, are you going to do a WIP build? I look forward to seeing it if you are, I have the same kit and AM parts, KZ intakes and afterburners, Neomega cockpit and Authentic Decals set. Still wondering if I should buy the KZ forward fuselage/radome and wondering what grey from the MRP range would be suitable!

Muzz

On 10/3/2016 at 11:04 AM, Antti_K said:

Hello Jim!

SU-24MR (the reconnaissance version) is easy to recognize because of the large SLAR antenna panels in the nose. Trumpeter has released a separate MR kit so no risk of confusion there.

Best Regards,

Antti

Trumpeter has released the 1/48 Su-24MR version? I knew it was proposed, but I thought they had only done the 1/72 Su-24MR.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...