Airfix 1/32 soliers

so i walk into home bargains for a few bits and find Airfix 1/32 ww2 british infantry and ww2 british paratroopers on the shelf for £2.99 a box. so i think ill have a bit of that if only for nostalgia reasons. had emense fun painting these up. not perfect by any means. missed a couple of ejection pin marks and some of em where a pain to get the flash off. but hay ho theyre keeping me quiet.20161001_121122_zpsb9md3umv.jpg20161001_121116_zpsx8kpqeex.jpg20161001_121102_zpsvye7f0co.jpg20161001_121034_zpsab08luvs.jpg20161001_121010_zpsfhdowmf8.jpg20161001_121019_zpsj2fzzgpv.jpg20160926_180345_zps3hsp40li.jpg

• Like 13

the paras seemed to be of a harder plastic and the detail was pretty good. the tommys however are alot softer. they are a bit of a pain to get the flash and ejection pin marks off. anything to abrasive cut right into the plastic. i used a blade to trim most of it down and believe it or not a buff and polish pad for doing ladies nails. the quality of the detail is not as good as on the paras as well. but for less than 3 quid a box cant complain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nice work!  :thumbsup:

I believe Airfix have recently rereleased much of their 1/32 hard plastic multipose range too.....Even better detail and you can pose 'em how you want, but they are a bit more expensive.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, StephenMG said:

Wow, these bring back some memories!

Are they still moulded in the same flexible plastic they were when I was a kid? I thought I read somewhere they were in hard plastic these days?

yes, the figures are now some kind of flexible styrene,  poly cement melts it, and you can scrape off the mould lines,  and smooth them out with liquid poly, and they can be painted easily. 

this also means you can saw them up and cross kit with the multipose sets.

Here's an Australian one I did

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002739-australian-infantry-airfix-132nd/

has links to a webpage with details of all the 1/32nd Airfix figures, box art poses etc etc

Some are very well sculpted, US Paratroops are a favourite, and now can be done justice.

bigcheed, neat work on the figures above, I got some of the HB ones as well.

cheers

T

• Like 2

That's good news. I can always remember the paras being particularly well-sculpted (I think I have a few of my original childhood paras around here somewhere!) but the old bendy polythene was a bugger to clean up, modify and paint.

I think I just might get a box for nostalgia if nothing else! Cracking paint job by the way bigcheed. :thumbsup:

That brings back memories. I remember the Airfix  'Combat Pack.' Paras, German infantry, plastic Cromwell, Hanomag, Plastic ruined house and sandbags and printed cardboard base and walls. Hours of fun.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, John_W said:

I had loads of these when smaller.

The German Infantry annoyed me because they had Thompsons instead of MP40's.

Hmm, I don't think it's a Thompson

P1020324.jpg

note, the Thompson has a pistol grip,  this doesn't.

I not got an actual figure too hand to check,  but never noticed it before...

searching for WW2 German sub machine guns did not turn up the  answer, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_firearms_of_Germany#Submachine_guns

but as you can see there a fair few  more than the MP40...

cheers

T

• Like 2

The only WWII SMG that I can find that even remotely resembles the Airfix weapon is the United Defence UD-42, which is an American weapon that was never adopted for service:

34627.jpg

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=914

• Like 2