1:48 Italeri Spitfire Mk IXc - beer truck

Hello,

I thought I would share some pictures of what is really my first scale model build in about 18 years or so. Just for fun, I bought the Italeri beer truck Spitfire kit. It's quite a nice kit in my opinion - fit of parts is good, not needing too much filler or hours and hours of sanding. I understand it's from Hasegawa moulds.

This being my first build in a long time, it is strictly OOB, because I want to finish something in fairly short order, to a decent standard, trying some techniques I've read about, and then progress.

So here we go.

I started by brush painting the cockpit using Ammo of Mig acrylics. I am amazed at the quality and availability of different acrylics these days. Clearly using a primer is essential for these.

IMG_3879%20Large_zpskhfhqnx2.jpg

IMG_3894%20Large_zpstwmeyqqq.jpg

I used some Ammo of Mig wash to add some interest, and built up the cockpit interior.

IMG_3885%20Large_zpsnzii1on9.jpg

IMG_3896%20Large_zpsmxwpfqp8.jpg

IMG_3899%20Large_zpsyrlw9h1x.jpg

IMG_3902%20Large_zpsh5gcgxn6.jpg

Edited by propforward
Adding scale to title
  • Like 1

I don't think I did a great job of the cockpit, but there is a little weathering there, and the washes add a bit of interest. I did some dry brushing with aluminum enamel as well. I did add some simple seatbelts using lead foil I had left over from years ago, just to add more interest, but I forgot to take a picture.

Then on to building up the aircraft:

IMG_3918%20Large_zpszgizgpyg.jpg

IMG_3932%20Large_zps5pgqgzvd.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it went together. Fit of parts really didn't need much in the way of filler, and in a lot of cases a bit of gap filling superglue did the job quickly and cleanly.

In the end I decided to model this with the cockpit canopy closed, for simplicity. The cockpit doesn't look so good that it's worthy of inspection - but through the canopy will be OK.

IMG_3964%20Large_zpsfu0x3g6o.jpg

• Like 2

So I am now at the fun painting stage - and I have been looking forward to this, because I've been wanting to try the pre shading techniques, and then some weathering. When I was last involved in the hobby, I had only just started attempting weathering, and that had taken my models up a notch, so I really wanted to keep that going.

After priming I sprayed some panel lines black, using my brand new Omni 4000 airbrush.

IMG_3898%20Large_zps2g5so2yp.jpg

IMG_3968%20Large_zpshp0oxhhc.jpg

Then I started applying the medium sea grey to the underside:

IMG_3971%20Large_zpsfi09wpqc.jpg

And ended up with

IMG_3972%20Large_zpss7peh4vi.jpg

I'm happy with this first attempt. The shading around panels is very subtle. It's easier to see in real life than the photo, and it definitely adds some interest.

This is where I am at right now. Next weekend I hope to mask up the underside, and start the upper surfaces, hopefully getting as far as painting the invasion stripes.

• Like 5

Today's installment.

Masked off the underside:

IMG_3982%20Large_zpswbobw6ua.jpg

And applied a couple of coats of the top layer grey. Coat 1

IMG_3984%20Large_zpsvmjjnees.jpg

And coat 2.

IMG_3988%20Large_zpslvq0u1qn.jpg

I may mist on just a little more, especially at the wing edges, but I'm worried about losing my pre shading entirely. Especially when the green goes on.

How long to wait for acrylics to dry before masking for the green?

I'd really like to get the green on today so that I can get all the masking tape off.

Well, it's a learning experience for sure.

I went for it. After about 6 hours of cure, I masked up the upper surfaces. I did "de tack" the masking tape first though a bit.

I think it went OK - I'm reasonably happy with this.

IMG_3991%20Large_zpsdmqyoufk.jpg

IMG_3992%20Large_zpsfkdardve.jpg

IMG_3993%20Large_zpscyppae9c.jpg

IMG_3994%20Large_zpskqqeylmo.jpg

IMG_3995%20Large_zpsumirthl8.jpg

IMG_3997%20Large_zpswxjizjmx.jpg

There are some minor imperfections, but overall not bad as a first attempt (I think anyway).

Let this all cure up properly, then mask again for the invasion stripes! I'm going to paint them rather than use the kit decals, but the decals are very handy for getting the masking set up.

• Like 2

A little more progress, and also a step back.

Progress - masked off one wing and got the white band of the invasion stripes on.

IMG_3999%20Large_zpsdcnizhgg.jpg

As I suspected, as the layers of paint go on, my pre shading is getting lost. Maybe I should do additional pre shading as I build up the camouflage? Either that or I'm just layering on too much paint. I'll try it a different way on the next build.

Also - propeller is coming along nicely.

IMG_4011%20Large_zpsop4xnnaw.jpg

Step backwards - d'oh! I did a silly thing and messed up the paintwork in this area.

IMG_4006%20Large_zpsgjrqmrbn.jpg

I think I can save it. I'll mask off the green and do a little respray. Turns out there are a couple of overspray areas, so there will be a bit of touch up elsewhere before I proceed further with the invasion stripes.

• Like 1

A little more progress. Fixed up the snafu on the wing, masked up and applied the rest of the white for the invasion stripes. Doesn't look too bad I think - I'm happy enough with it at this point anyway. I tried not to make the invasion stripe background TOO white, and allowed a little of the grey behind to show through and shade it. Even so, I should have stopped painting earlier than I did I think.

IMG_4078%20Large_zpsz1gyeyyh.jpg

IMG_4079%20Large_zpsdswwif1j.jpg

IMG_4080%20Large_zps13nuagha.jpg

IMG_4082%20Large_zpsaadpflbj.jpg

IMG_4085%20Large_zpstfi4xc7c.jpg

IMG_4083%20Large_zpsku9krxa2.jpg

Let that all cure up, then I'll add the black stripes, and that puts us well on the way to completion.

Now with invasion stripes. I'm happy with these - first go at something like this. Not perfect, but not too bad.

IMG_4090%20Large_zpsui2orbpb.jpg

IMG_4089%20Large_zpsunzinubo.jpg

There's a better than average chance that I'll finish this.

Edited by propforward

• 1 month later...

IMG_4137_zps8qsqv1qh.jpg

Progress!

Some things haven't gone so well on this build, but overall I'm happy. Some things have turned out innacurately, like the width of the invasion stripe bands, but I'm not going to get too hung up on it. Next stage is to have ago at some weathering, and I'm looking forward to that.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finished!

Turns out that this wasn't my first model made when returning to the hobby, because my Lightning overtook it and got finished first. No matter.

Here we are:

IMG_0068_zpslrlmbvrf.jpg

I'll post a couple more piccies over in "ready for inspection".

• Like 5