PM 1/72 Beech C45 Expeditor - Shelf of doom build

Hi All

I have had this one sitting around for quite a while and I am going through a stage or phase in trying to clear some of the part built/stalled models of which this is most definitely one.

I got this and one other of these in a trade on this very forum and have finally completed one.  The kit is very simple and very simplified.  The Panel lines were way to deep and so I took steps to remedy this with paint and so painted the lines and then once dry rubbed down the fuselage/wings which over the course of several times reduced the lines a bit.  The tail planes have raised panel lines so these were rescribed.

The kit was built pretty much out of the box apart from the engines/cowlings which were Aeroclub items and the ariels and the rear wheel as both wheels were missing from the kits. Also the exhausts were built out of sprue and slices of cotton bud shaft.  Painted using Humbrol enamels again via hairy stick.  Decals were the Kit decals although they are not great.  The lighter blue was much to vibrant and so were toned down a bit and the serials silvered quite a bit also so had to be painted round. 

Ariel wire was from the Uschi van der Rosten standard elasticated thread.

1iio2x.jpg

2ag2ceo.jpg

123s7pd.jpg

168h1zt.jpg

281660x.jpg

140b5i.jpg

if954o.jpg

2dqm39.jpg

2q23eop.jpg

2i1cvoh.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
Added exhaut details
  • Like 29

Thanks Ian for your kinds comments, I have recently purchased the Revell version of the ICM Kit as it has a Royal Navy option in.  Kit looks very nice at first glance.  Go on get it down off the shelf of doom and crack on fella.

All the best
Chris

A nice conversion from the Shelf of Doom (SOD) of an aircraft type which is often overlooked but carried out very essential unsung work in the SEAC Theatre. Nice finish too. Keep 'em coming.

albamac (Frustrated Norseman):worthy:

• Like 1

A nice looking Twin Beech, one of my all time favourite aircraft however in my case all I have managed to produce are a couple of duds that like yours was, have been put to one side. Seeing this one makes me think about renovating mine.

Well Done,   Trev.

• Like 1

Hi Chris!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Without a doubt from a simple and little diffictult kit you have obtained a real gem, like a huge lot the way you donde with the reccessed panels and little weathering you did. I have watched the PM Versions and found a Blue one and anothers with Turkish, USAF  and Japanese dressings, and waswondering if yours is the Matchbox boxing did by Revell many years ago. If is this the case, weas wondering what are the other versions the box you transform into a nice looking finished model here. Without a doubt the time lapse in the Doom developed into a great model after all.

ALSO: If you have many more pics you can share about this nice build, all info are welcome!!! 

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1

Hi All

Thanks Albamac for your very kind comments

Go on Trev fetch it from the Shelf of Doom and carry on with it, you know you want to!!!

Luis Alfonso, thank you also, this one is the PM version, I did a trade of two of these,no box and missing one sheet of decals and as I discovered a tail wheel. I am afraid I did not take much in the way of photos for this build either so don't have anymore unfortunately.

Thanks to you all

Chris

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi All

Thanks Albamac for your very kind comments

Go on Trev fetch it from the Shelf of Doom and carry on with it, you know you want to!!!

Luis Alfonso, thank you also, this one is the PM version, I did a trade of two of these,no box and missing one sheet of decals and as I discovered a tail wheel. I am afraid I did not take much in the way of photos for this build either so don't have anymore unfortunately.

Thanks to you all

Chris

Hi Chris:

Thank you very much for the answer, I have the one with Japanese version, but the one to have the nice version you did and shared with us here comes with the one with the blue paint scheme as the one here: http://picclick.fr/PM-Model-PM-304-C-45-Beech-Expeditor-1-72-Scale-162158455189.html

Thank you ver y much for your answer.

Cheers!!!

9 minutes ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Chris:

Thank you very much for the answer, I have the one with Japanese version, but the one to have the nice version you did and shared with us here comes with the one with the blue paint scheme as the one here: http://picclick.fr/PM-Model-PM-304-C-45-Beech-Expeditor-1-72-Scale-162158455189.html

Thank you ver y much for your answer.

Cheers!!!

Hi Luis Alfonso

No worries, thank you.  Yes that is the one, I don't have the box but do have the instructions which show the same cover piccie.

All the best

Chris 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheBaron said:

That's a tidy looking piece of work there Chris. You must feel pleased with the way it's turned out. :goodjob: 

Thanks Tony.  I must admit I am pleased with the finished model generally.  I can't wait to get my mits on the 1/48th version I have in the stash packed away somewhere ???  I will have to be patient !!!

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

That looks fabulous Chris,.....top job mate,.....I love the scheme!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony

I must take this opportunity to say a big thank you to you and the others who set me onto the right path re the colours of the Camouflage scheme as the instructions were wrong in calling for Grey/green .  Thank you to you and the others.

40 minutes ago, glatisant said:

That's a really nice build,especially when the kit itself is a bit primitive.Good stuff!!

34 minutes ago, Billydick said:

Its come together  nicely, obviously has been a tricky build :goodjob:

BillyD

Hi Guys and thank you, it's not a tricky build as such it was just monotonous with trying to get the panel lines sorted, a good modeller would have filled them with gloup and then rescribed, it would have been quicker !!!  One day I will be good enough hopefully.

32 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's a staggeringly good finish for the PM kit!  :thumbsup:

Good choice on the engine replacements (Which set did you use please?  :shrug: ).....The cowlings on both of mine are oval!  :analintruder:

Hi Sarge

Thank you too, I used the Aeroclub replacement set, I can't recall the Aeroclub reference number off hand.  They are good and did not require much in the way of work to add to the kit.  It may be worth a visit to John Aero's pages on here to see if he has any ? 

Thanks again

All the best

Chris

• Like 1