Avon Sabre & Mig 21

Mr B

Hello Folks

This Avon Sabre has been a ding dong between myself a Thomas (Masterqq). it's finally back to me and I am committed to give it a go this round. as you can see it's been awhile around and it is not going for the price it's was bought for way back then....lost of work and it will be built with a mig of it's era as a partner to it

IMG_3464_zpsk88r8jrr.jpg

IMG_3465_zpsddpfbtcj.jpg

IMG_3468_zpsdbwtp759.jpg

next update will be progress onthe cockpits 

thanks 

brian

• Like 5

thanks guys....yeah a mig 17 would be more appropriate ....anyways got work done

sabre

IMG_3482_zpscxoietwd.jpg

sides are together but as you can see lots of work ........gaps and misaligned plastic....but I managed the vents in....just some putty and smooth sanding

the underside big gaps and lots of clean up required

IMG_3483_zpsh6rpuwvb.jpg

mig on the other hand is smooth sailing.....got the pit done.....next will be the bits and pieces and close up the sides...

IMG_3484_zpsvdj12zqe.jpg

IMG_3485_zpsnhzjle4q.jpg

3 kits on the bench not use to that......but progress is forthcoming.....next with be the wings of the Sabre......it's not going to be easy.......but after that it's realitively smooth saling

rgds to all

mr b

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks

got a slight update...must confess not much time on the bench ...but here it is

IMG_3530_zpskvkt9grc.jpg

engine is in the mig

IMG_3531_zpsidhfchmv.jpg

the gear wells are also in

IMG_3532_zpsr3n8wde3.jpg

the avionics deck base painted some dry brushing n wash to go n a flat

sabre

IMG_3533_zpspumgbkn2.jpg

IMG_3534_zps7nblr5vo.jpg

wing is on....a lot of clean up required to get this far....and a lot lot more to go

rgds to all

mr b

• Like 3

hello chaps

got an update......

IMG_3538_zpsutjvq2g2.jpg

the mig sides are together next will be to glue on the fin and the rear n front bits and sand all seams.....

IMG_3539_zpsh7zbccmy.jpg

IMG_3537_zpsucaqsrdl.jpg

some work on the Sabre as well......the rear wing area is different on the Avon....so had to do some surgery......and it's almost ready to fit up....man the Sabre is a lot of work......it's like 15-30 minutes on the mig and a good hour on the Sabre....

cheers guys

brian

• Like 3

On 11/6/2016 at 5:35 PM, exdraken said:

Nice work!!

For the Avon  Sabre newbe: what is the mai difference to the normal one? -modelwise??

Cheers man

model wise I believe the intake scoop and trucking.......single cannon as opposed to the three ....various cooling grills and vents, middle and aft .....the vent is also bigger in the rear top.....under the wings there is some air scoop and pipes......that's about it I guess.....the conversion has most of it sourced.....but just not shake and bake......

no no way an expert on the type....so excuse any omission I might have made....

they have great schemes in RAAF, TNI-AU and RMAF nice colors try one one boss 

rgds

Hi Chaps,

got some work done......

IMG_3570_zpsv960qff5.jpg

IMG_3571_zpsexeoizwr.jpg

started led the painting process on the mig........with a white undercoat and then red.........decided to paint the lines on as I suspect the decals are cracking up.

IMG_3572_zpshmidkirc.jpg

this is is the scheme that I am planning by the way....

IMG_3573_zpsftsjcslz.jpg

IMG_3574_zpsgsoddajx.jpg

IMG_3575_zpsklo3sem0.jpg

sabre is almost ready for rescribing and to scrath build some stuff underside.........then it's will be ready for paint too.

thanks for looking in

rgds

mr b

• Like 5

yeah red paint....hehehe....

mario it's gunze red madder ......lacquer based ....applied over a layer of character white also from gunze.....HTH.....

managed to to steal some time ...a rarerty on weekdays nowdays......and here is where I am now

IMG_3584_zpsopwfqb2g.jpg

IMG_3585_zpseizsayts.jpg

just could not wait....but in all honestly ...had to unmask it ....and the next step is to mask the whole fin and shoot the silver.....down....

hope  to try and complete the mig by weekend....wish me luck

rgds and thanks for watching

mr b

• Like 2

hi folks

the whole scheme is done.....on the mig....just some clean ups and touch ups.......

00e2e4a6a595b1542ceee756dafb294e_zpswogq

a57436567f9c51870268047a0ae26b64_zpsabht

still on track towards a weekend completion date....fingers crossed....

thanks for droping in

rgds

• Like 3

Thanks guys.....I have cleaned it up today.....n tomorrow will proceed with gloss n try n sort the decals out......

aidy - Thomas kept the Australian decals.....but dun think it will do much good as the Malaysian ones also got severe cracks in them......most likely will be using Aneh decals.....

happy modelling folks

rgds

hello folks

before anything....is anyone else having problems to log into their photobucket via safari ? it just returns back yo the log in page....strange....

got an update....the mig is all decaled ..and ready for weathering.....decals ....let me down.....funny cracks all over had to improvise.......

129ef34639e09282d78c22a8707be98a_zpstxgw

0523d27a1d1fed2feb80affee6ecf08d_zpsopy0

tackled the Sabre as well......and painted the base coat topside.....will do a bit more work on the Sabre to bring them both to the same progress.....instead of the earlier plan which was to finish the mig...up

happy modeling

rgds

• Like 6

Very nice progress, the avionics deck of the MiG-21 looks as nice as the cockpit, and its paint job looks expertly done -to see the red flashes appear from under the masking must be a thrill. Regarding the colours, the Indonesian camouflage is presumably very effective only when flying over a Batik carnaval. But I'm sure they had their reasons for painting their aircraft this way. The TUDM Sabre looks promising too; will do one of those in 1/72 one day.

On 10/10/2016 at 2:03 AM, Mr B said:

I see form your signature you are too building migs

Yes, I have a Hungarian MiG-21bis now awaiting a shipment of decals from Hungary. A MiG-21F-13, also Hungarian, will follow. Something about the MiG-21 which looks very right..!

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

thanks Aidy.......it's run of the mill gunze Olive Drab.......with some preshade........thanks on the offer for mig decals.....but I managed it.....

yes jay ...I kinda agree that it's loud.....I think even the 17 had a similar scheme.....but looks good and hence my interest to get one done.....thanks for the nice words on my build....hope to see your builds too.....

today was spent to finalize the Sabre to the same level of work as the mig managed it.....

364ac3e6884db100284e49b2e409702c_zpsez8u

all all looks darker due to future 

867a5fea0d1224994bfa34e72fae1e02_zpsnzbn

the underside.......egg green......

8630a961e579a2f5e0eefb6ee6c39563_zpsphlp

the original decals......I had to use the Punzer Aneh sheet so the wing decals are a tad bit small.......wonder why decals get like that.......same thing on my mig sheet....

hope  to finished them up before months end....

happy modeling

rgds

• Like 2