Supermarine Spitfire MkIX, MJ532/ UF-G, 601 Squadron RAF

It's raining this afternoon, I've done the shopping, and I'm waiting for the paint to dry on my Tomahawk and 92 Sqd Spitfire IX, may as well start another.

I'm going to attempt Mf532 of 43 601 Squadron RAF which was based in Famo, Italy, during November 1944. I'll be using the last of my AZ Joypack, Humbrol and Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats enamels (brush-painted) and decals from a Xtradecals sheet.

This is the aircraft I'll be making a mess of (Hannant's have it as an aircraft of 43 Squadron, that's wrong, it served with 601 Squadron (and later 253 Squadron):

20161001_150150_zpsxddumkma.jpg

and here are the sprues (there's some mix-and-match with the other Spitfire I'm doing in this GB as I got confused).

20161001_150053_zpsdaek9cij.jpg

20161001_150102_zpsvgs54jrq.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll post some in-progress photographs in due course,

Simon

Edited by Beard
1) To correct the aircraft's squadron.
  • Like 5

"UF" was not a code allocated to 43 sqn, it was allocated to 601 "County of London" Sqn  and that looks suspiciously like the Winged sword of 601 on the tail- Are we sure that the caption is correct?   I don't have the reference source stated (Spitfire at war 2, Alfred Price) but the book may have misidentified the unit.

Ah, it looks like we have been round this particular bouy before...it would appear that the later issues of the sheet do indeed allocate MJ532 to 601sqn .

• Like 1

No worries Mr Beard, I'm always on the lookout for 43(F) decals for all types, for almost all of the war they were coded "FT" (easy to remember-Forty-Three, geddit?) so your original thread title piqued my interest.

Best of luck with the build!

• Like 2

Taking a quiet seat at the back Simon.

You crease me up: 

"This is the aircraft I'll be making a mess of.....as I got confused"

:rofl: 

All the best 

TonyT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

Your on it Simon! Nice choice

Rob

Thanks Rob.

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Nice choice, One I would be doing I f I hadn't already done it this year :)

Thanks Stu. What kit do you use?

1 hour ago, Troffa said:

No worries Mr Beard, I'm always on the lookout for 43(F) decals for all types, for almost all of the war they were coded "FT" (easy to remember-Forty-Three, geddit?) so your original thread title piqued my interest.

Best of luck with the build!

Thanks Troffa.

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Taking a quiet seat at the back Simon.

You crease me up: 

"This is the aircraft I'll be making a mess of.....as I got confused"

:rofl: 

All the best 

TonyT

Welcome aboard and thanks Tony.

This is where I've got to with this one:

20161006_194350_zpsu3d6sinj.jpg

Once the wings have set, I'll add the 'late' tailplanes and start painting. In the meantime, I'll be fondling the sprues of a AZ Spitfire Vb Trop.

Edited by Beard
to restore broken link to photo.
  • Like 4

Looking good and a great choice of subject,.....I intend on doing this one myself someday,......good luck,

Cheers

Tony

23 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Looking good and a great choice of subject,.....I intend on doing this one myself someday,......good luck,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony. I suggest you do one for this Group Build.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beard said:

Thanks Tony. I suggest you do one for this Group Build.

I think I`ve done too many already,......no we`ll just enjoy your mate this time!

Tony

• Like 1

I haven't got a lot done of this lately but I've done a couple of coats of Humbrol 165 for the Medium Sea Grey.

20161009_142845_zpszkhzswcd.jpg

Edited by Beard
  • Like 4

I've been somewhat distracted this week, I got a delivery of Sword Kittyhawks, was forced to go to a vegetarian resturant for lunch (crispy tofu, anyone?) and, spent last night recording drums for the EP I'm doing. On the up-side, I did get the Kittyhawks (and a Spitfire VC) and some TET.

Anyway, here's where it is after a couple of coats of Humbrol Ocean Grey.

20161013_185329_zpsrd2zlooe.jpg

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

Did you say EP?  :oI believe you did, please tell some more....:) Drums...Motorhead or Jazz combo??

Oh yeah, Spitfire is coming on nicely.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sean said:

Did you say EP?  :oI believe you did, please tell some more....:) Drums...Motorhead or Jazz combo??

Oh yeah, Spitfire is coming on nicely.

I did, indeed, say 'EP'. It's punk/ new wave/ agi-pop. I play all the instruments, apart from the drums (I don't consider drums to be an actual instrument).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beard said:

I did, indeed, say 'EP'. It's punk/ new wave/ agi-pop. I play all the instruments, apart from the drums (I don't consider drums to be an actual instrument).

Pray tell, what is agi-pop? :hmmm:Punk and new wave I know.. if it's like 80's punk and new wave.

Drums not an instrument!! Oh dear, you could get into trouble with that view, especially if

any drummers learn how to use the internet....:whistle:

Sean

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rob85 said:

That's a nice bit of grey that is Simon 

Rob

Thanks Rob. It'll be sanded after the Dark Green.

9 hours ago, sean said:

Pray tell, what is agi-pop? :hmmm:Punk and new wave I know.. if it's like 80's punk and new wave.

Drums not an instrument!! Oh dear, you could get into trouble with that view, especially if

any drummers learn how to use the internet....:whistle:

Sean

I was sure 'agi-pop' is a musical genre but, having googled it, I appear to have made it up (like 'Death Reggae'). Anyway, it's my definition of political pop.

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Just catching up with this one Simon, great brush work, and the AZ kit looks nice with clipped wings.

Thank Cookie. It doesn't look so nice close up... I made a right pig's ear of attaching the wings.

• Like 2

This one has now had a couple of coats of Sovereign Hobbies Dark Green, a rub-down with Micromesh and, another coat of Humbrol Ocean Grey. I did take a photo but didn't notice that it was out-of-focus until editing it so I'll post one later.

• Like 1