lancaster nose aerials

TOPGUN88

The nicest ones that I've found are in the C-47/DC-3 kits which were originally released by Italeri and also released by Revell and Airfix at various times. They are very finely moulded. You might find that a wanted ad works because I'm sure there will be people who have built civilian Dakotas and have the aerials in the spares box.

Be aware that the Esci C-47 is not the same as the Italeri one.

56 minutes ago, Ivor Ramsden said:

You might find that a wanted ad works because I'm sure there will be people who have built civilian Dakotas and have the aerials in the spares box.

My Italeri AC-47 has the Rebecca aerials as surplus parts - Topgun88,would you like a pair? 

Cheers,

Andre

There were several Rebecca/Eureka system aerials and they varied slightly from each other. Also, quite a number of civilian Dakotas kept these aerials post-war, as they could also receive signals from early blind approach systems. I believe Lorenz, although obsolete post-war, was one, but there must have been others, too. Cheers

Jure

P.S.: Yes, Ivor, Esci and Italeri Dakotas are different kits, and because of issues of the former, very fortunately so.

On both aircraft this is not an aerial at all but the pitot, or pitot-static, pressure probe mounted on a mast.  The airspeed can be calculated from the pitot and the static pressures, and then displayed in the cockpit on an Air Speed Indicator.  Simplifying somewhat, this bears a known (close) relationship to the Equivalent Air Speed, and from this can be calculated the True Air Speed and from this the True Ground Speed.    No-one said everything about flying was easy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

On both aircraft this is not an aerial at all but the pitot, or pitot-static, pressure probe mounted on a mast.  The airspeed can be calculated from the pitot and the static pressures, and then displayed in the cockpit on an Air Speed Indicator.  Simplifying somewhat, this bears a known (close) relationship to the Equivalent Air Speed, and from this can be calculated the True Air Speed and from this the True Ground Speed.    No-one said everything about flying was easy.

What he said!

Chris